What's new

Rare Super Speed

Take a closer look at your safety bar. See the two cut-out spots on each side where your whiskers and lather pass through? Those are absent from this one.
Now, I can definitely see how a slight modification of the machinery used to produce the senator would work to make this.

I will look.

Steve

The price is high but if you don't want it I will put it in my collection and truly have one know one has.

:001_tongu

Like Drinking and Shaving, Drinking and Writing your ebay listing maybe isn't smart, as one know one has.

-jim

I wood like too use this moment to remind every won to please double check you're grammar.:lol:

Does anyone have any further info regarding this 1959 Super Speed???

I've wondered about this razor since it was first listed, maybe 6 months ago. It certainly is not homemade or crafted from a standard Super Speed. It might be a Gillette prototype but the problem with that is there is no prior history of another. I can see the seller's point. If it truly is a rare razor, the price may not be out of line, especially with a make an offer option. As I recall the famous 195 that was for sale for so many months for $995 eventually sold for $630. Unfortunately it wasn't to me. And I never criticize this seller. His cut and paste descriptions might be a bit strange but he does take low offers on his razors and he has what no one else has. And his photos are pretty good. I have never had a bad experience buying from him although I must admit his pricing more recently has gotten a little out of hand.

Len

Take a closer look at your safety bar. See the two cut-out spots on each side where your whiskers and lather pass through? Those are absent from this one.
Now, I can definitely see how a slight modification of the machinery used to produce the senator would work to make this.

You're absolutely right. It looks as if those two cut-out spots were simply not cut out, then the "teeth" were machined out.

It seems that if you machined a regular SS you could still get an interesting tooth effect.

Steve

Glasgowgoodies aside, what is known if anything about this razor? I've not heard or seen of it before, it is not in the wiki or on Achim's site. Is it a legit prototype or a machine shop custom job?

Actually there is quite a difference in the head, and primarily the center bar between the Senator and this razor. The senator has straight bar ends and this one is straight. Also when the cap doors are closed they cover the center bar where with this one the bar protrudes and is flush with the two cap doors, like all Super Speeds made since the Ranger Tech. There is also detail on the face of the teeth that i don't see in any other oc razors. Maybe it's real.

Len

Actually there is quite a difference in the head, and primarily the center bar between the Senator and this razor. The senator has straight bar ends and this one is straight. Also when the cap doors are closed they cover the center bar where with this one the bar protrudes and is flush with the two cap doors, like all Super Speeds made since the Ranger Tech. There is also detail on the face of the teeth that i don't see in any other oc razors. Maybe it's real.

Len

+1. There was no production razor made by Gillette that could have been modified in such a way to create the razor referenced in the OP. I'd like to shave with it and see how well it does.

I need to take a road trip over to Glasgow, MO and see all of these rare razors in person.

Last edited:

Len

FWIW, The door assembly of a senator will fit in a super-speed, but the shaft isn't long enough to thread into the tto mechanism. The door assembly of a super-speed will not fit in a senator, because the cutouts in the base plate are not large enough. I would think this would be a simple enough fix to allow the modern doors to fit into an older plate.

Are we 10 - 20 years too late to ever get a response from an actual Gillette engineer or machinist? Seems to me if they went to the trouble of making a die for stamping out this head, wouldn't they have made more then one? They would have most certainly ended up in collections somewhere and we would have seen or heard of such a thing before?

On the other hand, who has the tooling capacity to produce the die that stamped out that kind of head? If this was a real Gillette, I can understand why they don't make them that way. Be a pain in the neck to ensure all of those openings are clear and probably difficult to make the die.

Now if you are thinking that this head was taken into a machine shop and customized, then pay the man $499 because that is how much it's worth.

IMHO

-jim

That seller is out of his mind . Everything he sells is way overpriced. I hope people perform some "due diligence" before buying from that clown.

Gosh, i really wanted to buy this (paypal on standby), but he won't ship outside US. Meh, his loss! $500 - my Rs!!

When I get back to Glasgow I'm gonna track him down! I think I'll buy something really cheap from him (if that's possible) so I can get the return address and post it here. We can then all send him junk mail like no-one's had in their life, until he stops stealing from people.....

Are there any other razors that have that circular pattern or "O" on each side of the diamond? It's like the marks on the Red and Blue tips. Perhaps it stands for "Open"?

Attachments

• $296880097_o.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 342
When I get back to Glasgow I'm gonna track him down! I think I'll buy something really cheap from him (if that's possible) so I can get the return address and post it here. We can then all send him junk mail like no-one's had in their life, until he stops stealing from people.....

You might be thinking of the wrong Glasgow:

Item location: Glasgow, Missouri, United States

Top Bottom