What's new

Rare Super Speed

Here is my theory:

If you look at the one auction picture, you can see the most used one is the "prototype". Also, the auction is from Massachusetts. That means there is a darn good chance this person may have either worked on the line or worked for Gillette. Given the use of the prototype razor, including the amount of soap build up, perhaps this was a prototype like the current iPhone 4g, that they let employees use and test, to determine if it would be a good idea/sell well. While it might not have been good enough for production, the people liked it so much, they kept using them.

OR

The slotted comb instead of open comb violated another companies design patent, which prevented Gillette from marketing it.

I contacted the seller--the person who owned these razors worked for Gillette for 40 years.

Anxious to see where that auction will end. They appear to be a nice find, but why are people bidding it so high with so much time left. Ebay auctions are like elevators. Continuing to push the button aint gonna make it get here any faster!

I love a mystery as much as the next guy, so I'm just considering all possibilities.

The razor bed is stamped with markings that I've seen on at least one of my own razors (a blue tip I once had had the "O" on it). I still lean toward the prototype explanation. But the production markings stamped on the bottom of the bed doesn't quite make sense if it's a totally unique fabrication for a prototype. An existing, stamped but unmilled bed seems more likely, but we'll never know for sure.

All I know is, I'm not bidding on it.

Just guessing now. When we made prototypes that were similar to existing parts we would take the unfinished part off the production line at a point where we could perform the unique operation afterwards. In the case of the stamped guard it is more likely the stamps were added early in the cycle when the metal was still a flat piece. The tools that form these pieces have multiple stages with many operations. You could remove the pieces anywhere in the process. I can picture how these were made.

Len

So let me ask the metal workers out there. How hard would it be to modify an existing super speed to make one of these? As far as I can guess, you would need to cut out exact matches to the in a metal blank, or fill the holes with molten metal, and then cut the notches, and then plate.

Considering how rare this SS could be, would you polish it up to its original state or just give it a good cleaning? I mean, if its been used, it should be cleaned, right? I'm just curious as to how far one should go when it comes to something that could be this rare.

I knew it would happen today after all the talk about the prototype. The one that Glasgow had sold for $300. I was trying to figure out how to buy it and what to offer. Maybe the winner will step forward. It sure wasn't me. And I'm glad.

Len

Considering how rare this SS could be, would you polish it up to its original state or just give it a good cleaning? I mean, if its been used, it should be cleaned, right? I'm just curious as to how far one should go when it comes to something that could be this rare.

A good cleaning won't hurt it a bit. And if I had it I would try it for sure. There's nothing else like it.

Len

As rare as this is, I can bet it could be sitting on a pile of dog scat, and people would buy it.

Top Bottom