What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux

They work great for about 3-4 days of daily shaving for me. Luckily they are cheap enough that even 2 days use would be good enough.

I tried these for the first time this Saturday in my Dark Stag folding Kamisori. I had about three days growth (quite coarse and tough) and these cut through well on the first pass. After three passes I had a bbs finish with a few nicks and minimum irritation. I would say these are reasonably smooth and have a decent sharpness (above the Rapira Swedish Steel maybe). They will be going into my regular use pile for sure.
In my book they are both almost the same sharpness. But the Swedish supersteel is ever so slightly sharper on shave 1. Something important to bear in mind though. The Platinum Lux being platinum coated gets slightly sharper on shave 2.

I bought 100 of them about 2 months ago. Very good blade in the Rockwell 6C and probably in a lot of razors. A bit sharper than the Voskhods but slightly less smooth. I get easily 7 shaves out of them, then the sharpness fades away and whiskers arent cut well enough anymore. YMMV of course.

I don't like these blades at all.

I picked up a tuck of Rapira Platinum Lux blades to compare them to the (discontinued) Sharp Star Platinum Coated blades from the Shave for the Stars Challenge PIF that Grundi is running. It is my understanding that these are the only two platinum coated blades produced by Mostochlegmash.

I couldn't get through shaving one cheek before I had to toss the blade. The RPL blades were NOT smooth with LOTS of tugging. They reminded me of pre-2016 green-label (portrait) Derbys which are only just slightly better than the awful Topaz and Treet blades that I had tried many years ago.

Needless to say, I was dissapointed with the RPLs as they are platinum coated and get many excellent reviews.

TL;DR
Mostochlegmash's Rapira Platinum Lux and Sharp Star Platinum Coated are DEFINITELY two DIFFERENT blades.

Thanks,
Mike

I really like the RPL blades, and find they're a sharper Voskhod, and very smooth in razors that otherwise feel harsh with many other blades. They work great in my Rex Ambassador, and Timeless 95 OC. Started using them after the Personna Israeli RED blades moved production to Germany. - I do NOT like the Personna Red blades, now made in Germany in those razors, yet the former Israeli made blade was fantastic in both, at least for my face.

Ordered another 100 in fact, right before the Ukraine invasion, while they were still under $10 a hundred. Those and the Nacets are my go-to blades for many razors.

Tried one today for the first time, in a Rockwell 6S. Frankly, I expected more from this blade, considering all the reviews. It felt quite harsh/unpleasant, nowhere near the Astra SP or even Astra SS (I like both very much). Possibly, this first opinion might change, by trying the Rapira Platinum Lux with other razors, but for now I'm not enthusiastic about it.

Top Bottom