What's new

Ramen vs. Pho

Ramen or Pho?

• Ramen

• Pho

Results are only viewable after voting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Going to grab some pizza in five. Next week sound good for a hookup?

My favorite film is Tampopo, so it has to be ramen. Although my pal Masaaki did not want to take me for ramen when I visited after the film debuted. "Ramen is junk food." And we mostly ate soba, and if soba had been in the choice above, I would have picked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had really good ramen. The package stuff doesn't count IMO. There is a place that does high quality ramen in town that just opened like this year and I haven't made it over there on a day they are open.

I get pho every chance I get though. Every couple months or so. Maybe when I try the Ramen bar my mind will change, but I'm going pho for now. If you get the chance to try vietnamese beef stew pho I highly recommend that too.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Lots of pho joints in New Orleans. But I prefer Ramen, both the "good" kind, and the 6 for a buck kind. In fact I actually prefer the cheap stuff, made at home with whatever leftovers and whatever sauce or spices added. One thing I like to do is make the noodles, leave them whole, slide the whole works onto a plate, and top with 200 count shrimp (that's the size... how many to the pound.) in a mustard and wasabi sauce. Sometimes I crush some ritz crackers right on top of the works. Or serve a courtbouillon right over the ramen. Leftover gumbo? Sauce Picant? Etouffee? Sure. Rice on the side, or just rock the noodles. Easy over eggs and grilled onions are another good ramen topper. Or make it soupy, with celery, bok choy, stuff like that in there.

ouch

One thing I'll say, ramen and pho, though both noodle soups, couldn't be more different. Let's take a closer look.

Broth. Pho is usually beef based, while ramen is usually pork or chicken, or a combination thereof.

Spices/broth additions. Ramen is enhanced by kombu and sometimes katsuobushi, as well as mushroom, soy, or miso. Pho is spiced with star anise, fennel, clove and cinnamon stick (essentially the classic Chinses five spice blend, sans szechuan peppercorn) as well as fish sauce.

Main topping. Pho gets some sort of beef, such as brisket, flank, or tendon. Ramen features some kind of roast pork or pork belly.

Additional toppings. Ramen gets an almost limitless combination of egg, nori, fish cake, bamboo shoot, scallion, and whatever else has become popular since I started typing this sentence. Pho boasts an equally broad array of toppings that include mint, basil, cilantro, chiles, lime and bean sprouts.

Pho noodles are rice based, while ramen uses flour based noodle.

With so many differences, how can they both be so good?

ouch

Do you phoheads add sriracha and hoisin to your bowl, or use it as a dip?

I add hoisin straight to the bowl, a pretty decent amount. I use the sriracha as a dip. Everything that goes in has to go out and I can't handle too much sriracha down there.

I just had Ramen for dinner tonight. Mighty fine stuff. Still sticking with the Pho. The ramen had a lot of neat choices and it was interesting and fun and complex, but The pho is just pure tasty. I always get the biggest pho and eat it, then take some home and eat more, and then use any broth on the 3rd day for making rice. pho-flavored rice. mmmmh.

Wow, judging from some of the responses I am not sure if a lot of people here have had real Ramen. Instant noodles? Not even close. I will take my pork fat broth over Pho everyday. I like pho but authentic Japanese Ramen is far far superior IMO.

Top Bottom