What's new

Ralf Aust French Point, Thumb Notch Razor Review

Better Open Profile.JPG

Inlays.JPG Opened Tip Profile.JPG Opened Top Profile.JPG Toe Profile.JPG

First Impressions
  • Nice coffin
  • The razor came well wrapped in wax paper and a plastic bag.
  • The razor was fingerprint free when it came out of the box.
  • No blemishes were found on the steel, the pins, the silver inlays, or the wood.
  • Razor was well pinned and centered perfectly
  • My wife thinks it’s beautiful.
The Specs
  • This is a substantial feeling razor with a nice heft and excellent balance.
  • French Point
  • Carbon Steel
  • Jimped Tang on Top
  • Smooth Thumb Notch
  • Shoulderless
  • Ebony Scales
  • Silver Inlays
  • Dimensions
    • 6/8 blade
    • End of scales to tail’s tip – 15.5 cm
    • Point’s tip to tail’s tip – 14.2 cm
    • Cutting width – 6.4 cm
    • Total depth of the blade, cutting edge to spine, 2.1 cm
    • Total depth of the razor, spine to bottom of scales 2.6 cm
  • Balance – Perfect in terms of my humble opinion... Great hand feel...
Fit and Finish
  • The blade is highly polished, zero: mars, scratches, imperfections
  • Scales are finished to let you feel wood. That is my personal preference so I am very happy. This is not a cyanoacrylate/polymer finish.
  • Pinning is perfect. The razor stays open and it centers perfectly with the scales.
  • The Ralf Aust trademark is deep, clear, and well executed.
  • The tail is as perfect as the rest of the razor.
  • The blade etching is clean and well executed.
The Shave

Quick summation… I had two days of fur on my face. The first shave felt like I had used this razor dozens of times in recent weeks. It is pure pleasure in the hand.
  • Standard pre-shave prep – a hot shower
  • Soap – Stirling Almond – Bowl lathered
  • Brush – Stirling Lil’ Brudder synthetic
  • WTG – Nice sound and effortless… Very maneuverable razor…
  • XTG – Far less sound to no sound and effortless…
  • ATG – Nice sound and effortless
  • Clean up on and around ears and nose – French tipped razors are made for my hairy ears. No issues here either
  • It passed the Sally test. She doesn’t care for sandpaper/sharkskin faces. BBS from the jawline up. Neck ranged from BBS to DFS.
  • Aftershave went on cold. No irritation whatsoever!
Bottom Line
I’m saving my pennies for another Ralf Aust French Point. I may try ordering one directly from Germany with the same blade specs and blond horn scales.

Great review Bob. I really need to add an Aust and a Wacker to my collection. Look forward to seeing more of that beauty!

That is one fantastic write up Bob, there is 2 razors i dont have one is a Ralf Aust and the other is a Whacker. The point is this write up is pushing me towards the Aust first.

:c18: :c18: :c18: :c18: :c18:

I have 2 Austs (one 5/8” carbon steel and one 6/8” stainless) and agree with the review, they are top notch! Very hollow razors with great finish at very good prices

That is one fantastic write up Bob, there is 2 razors i dont have one is a Ralf Aust and the other is a Whacker. The point is this write up is pushing me towards the Aust first.

Ooooh that's a shame (only for the time being of course :D).

In my opinion, both excellent shavers.

No presure though, whenever you're ready... LOL

Bottom Line
I’m saving my pennies for another Ralf Aust French Point. I may try ordering one directly from Germany with the same blade specs and blond horn scales.

Maybe give different blade (choice of different "tang") a chance on your next Aust razor for some variety.

I have Dovo razor which looks very similar to your Aust, and I prefer the "regular" tang of my Ralf Aust for slightly different feel. Matter of personal preference of course, just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the appreciative words on the review. Reviews are easiest when one has something good to review.

Next easiest is reviewing a real stinker. It's the stuff that lies in the middle ground that's hard to review.

My wife thinks it’s beautiful.
An important but oft overlooked feature in razor acquisition.
I may try ordering one directly from Germany with the same blade specs and blond horn scales.
Is there a website that you know of to do this? In a cursory search I found no strictly Aust site, and only US, Canadian and Aussie retailers. I would really like to acquire the Aust 6/8" Spanish point, but have found limited scale offerings.

An important but oft overlooked feature in razor acquisition.

Is there a website that you know of to do this? In a cursory search I found no strictly Aust site, and only US, Canadian and Aussie retailers. I would really like to acquire the Aust 6/8" Spanish point, but have found limited scale offerings.

Aust’s website is rasiermesser-manufaktur.de

Danke schön!

Keep an eye on the exchange rate too. When the euro dips you can usually get a really good deal compared to one you could buy stateside. Also allow your CC to do the exchange and not PayPal. PayPal usually has a lower rate and they charge a tiny fee for the conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:c18: :c18: :c18: :c18: :c18:
I'd say that are two good decisions; to get both and to get the Aust first.
Thanks for the excellent review, Bob. Arne has always raved about them, and now I can see why.
That Arne guy is not to be trusted 😁

More then I'd pay for a razor. My wife says I can squeeze a nickle so hard it farts quarters... It was purchased from Maggard's Razors on one of their 12% Christmas discount packages. They still have one listed for sale with the normal sales price.

Now that I have one, I'd buy another. It is extremely well engineered and executed.

Excellent review. I've stopped buying razors, but when my wife asked me before Christmas if there were any razors I still wanted, the Ralf Aust was the only thing that came to mind. I thought she might have gotten me one for Christmas, but she did not. I'm ind of glad--when I do get one I want to make the choices on point, scales, etc.

Top Bottom