What's new

Ralf Aust 6/8 American (square) Point with Horn Scales

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After much deliberation I have ordered my first Ralf Aust. A 6/8 American (square) point with horn scales. Hopefully it will arrive within a couple of weeks.

hh-a.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Nice. I’ve been tempted by this model myself.

Stainless or carbon steel?
Carbon steel.

This will be the most expensive SR that I have ever purchased at USD 220 including shipping and tax. Will be interesting to see how it performs.

Last edited:
I was looking at a similar one (Spanish point) and was going to purchase when my credit card account rolls over to the next month. I had read a lot about Herr Aust razors and decided I need one.

Unfortunately, I had too many "fizzy waters" last week and put a bid on a Rigarazor, thinking the bid would be too low and it would rapidly escalate beyond my price range as they usually do. Long story short, I'm now waiting for a new Rigarazor to arrive.

Let us know what you think of the razor once you get to take it for a test drive.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
American = square point? Never heard it called that before. Or is this just Ralf's idea?
I believe that it started in Europe/UK in the late 1800's when most of the western world's SR's were manufactured there. The French, Dutch, Spanish and American points were the preferred point types in each of those countries.

it's an Europeanism as best I've been able to tell, but I'm not sure when that started.

I believe that it started in Europe/UK in the late 1800's when most of the western world's SR's were manufactured there. The French, Dutch, Spanish and American points were the preferred point types in each of those countries.
Interesting, thanks for this. I will see if I can find any old catalogues where they are cited as American points.

Interesting, thanks for this. I will see if I can find any old catalogues where they are cited as American points.
it feels modernish, 20th century to me, but I don't really pay attention to it... "yep, that's what I like and want." is as far as I take it.

Congrats on your Aust! No doubt that you will be more than satisfied. Ralf Aust was my first straight and I had since acquired another. While both came shave ready, running them through The Method brought them to another level for me. The one I bought directly from Herr Aust took about a month, but well worth the wait.

No. I am tiring of M7DS's. I have enough of them now and have decided to explore other single SR makes/models.
Congratulations! You are finally allowing yourself to enjoy the finer things in life. Quality beats quantity every time when it comes to Straights.

My first Fili14 cured my RAD, after that I have purchased very few razors compared to the first year of buying anything that looked interesting.

I found my home in 14 sized blades, and these days, shaving-wise, I wouldn't miss half of my collection. For some reason I can't seem to part with them. Each one has it's own personality, and mostly fond memories.

Congrats, these are great shavers and easy to work with when honing.

I also have a 6/8 Square point with the same tang style, but with African blackwood sales.

Top Bottom