What's new

RAD'ers: Razors You Own But Aren't Using, and Why?

My Gillettes generally go unused. I have switched to SE exclusively. I hope I am able to used the Kampfe Bros. frankenrazor I just bought off the bay.

I have more than 300 razors, and there are more than a few dupes in there, but that's what you get when you buy multi-razor lots on the 'bay. I've given a lot away, and sold a few to B&Bers. For me, collecting is about finding the best possible example of a given type. There are certain designs that appeal to me from a utility standpoint, and those are in the dozen or so razors that make up my regular rotation. There are others for which the rarity makes them appealing -- the toggle is a good example. At the same time, there are a bunch of european razors that I picked up just to have a departure from the regular gillettes and schicks and gems. I've picked up a few examples of the wilkinson empire and 7-day sets, usually to gather all the pieces necessary to create a single, complete set of the highest quality. The more individual pieces there are in a razor set, it seems like you find more and more incomplete sets. Then there are the variants in these categories -- the dunhill-cased wilkinson 7-day set is a good exemple. There were a few handle styles in the dunhill sets that were done over the years, and subtle changes made to the way the blade is held in place. If you want a good example of each, you gotta wade through the cruft and acquire the parts you need.

I should point out that I've recently (over the past few months) been spending a lot of time with the unused razors in my "Back-of-the-Rack" series of posts in this forum. It's been an interesting experience. I haven't used a gillette or schick apart from when it was necessary (traveling, for example), and it's been a great change of pace. If anything, I want the "Back-of-the-Rack" series to incent people to take a second look at the razors they own but just don't use, and maybe keep some of the worst ones in the rack where they belong.

-- Chet

I just picked up a 1937 Eversharp Schick Razor. Doubt that I will ever use it, got it just to try my cleaning skills on. Thought it would look nice being displayed in the bathroom.

I bought a '52 Super Speed black tip on b/s/t. It is in perfect condition, but next to my EJ89L barley, shaving with it feels like a toy.

Since my first post in this thread at the beginning of the year I've acquired even more razors, both double-edged and straight. As a result, I'm pretty much just using more razors. I didn't expect this to happen. I really thought I'd stick with just a couple of razors and be happy. Getting involved in a group buy on B/S/T took me over the edge. Gave two straights away to my son-in-law from that batch. Have a couple project straights now. Things didn't work out the way I originally planned.

Still not using that Ranger Tech. Still not using that Travel Tech. Now I've got some straights that I'm not using yet because they're projects.

New to this so I only have 10, or so, razors. I think superspeed's to mild. But on the other side, a good razor when in a hurry, you can't hurt your self with this razor.
Flaretip and a 63', that is, maybe a redtip will give me a challenge, depends on the blade, I know! :)

Last edited:
a bunch of Merkurs, a Parker the was a waste of time and a Weishi with a Fist full of Gillette Vintage I found. I am planing on selling almost all of my 'modern' razors on B/S/T and keeping my Vintage Gillettes.

Right now I an rotating between my iKon S3S with a Slim adju. and a 1940's SS. I want to get a Feather AS but need to clean out the unused razors first.

The list of Razors that I have which I will never use keeps growing....

Fatboy
Slim Adjustable
Schick Krona
Schick Injector
User grade Gillette NEW
Lady Gillette (was purchased for the wife, which has now given up)
A hot pink Weishi (was purchased for the wife, which has now given up)

Sad thing is, I know it will keep growing, because I keep buying more and more razors :001_07:

a bunch of Merkurs, a Parker the was a waste of time and a Weishi with a Fist full of Gillette Vintage I found. I am planing on selling almost all of my 'modern' razors on B/S/T and keeping my Vintage Gillettes.

Right now I an rotating between my iKon S3S with a Slim adju. and a 1940's SS. I want to get a Feather AS but need to clean out the unused razors first.

That's my philosophy. I've gotten rid of my Slant and R89. They're easy to come by.

I have 4 DE/1 Se razor..keepin em for ma boys..when they show up and turn shaving age..I just cant stay away from using my straights ;-)

I have put almost all of my vintage razors aside. The only Gillette still in my rotation is a short-comb "Old" style and that's because it's very aggressive - in the same class as my Muhle R41. The only adjustable I still use is my Merkur Vision - I sold off my Progress and Futur and don't use the Fat Boy or Slim anymore. I haven't been using my beautiful Edwin Jagger Barley Chatsworth lately because when I want to use something big and beautiful, I find myself reaching for the equally big and beautiful Jagger lined Bulbous.

I have so many that I don't even know how many. There is no rotation, I just choose one that I'm in the mood for. If I like a particular style, I'd get a back up for it. And If I'm in love with one, then multiple copies (as in the case of Slims, Fatboys, SS's, Aristocrats, & all various News). The minty cased Gillettes are for show, and probably will never get used. I think I ended my RAD having acquired pretty much all the styles (except for that RED Ring Eclipse Alex was selling that I wanted so bad, but stopped myself). And with the world of Straights, I want one more to assemble a seven day set ((made the horrible mistake of buying a Krieger:frown2:)).

man, i can't believe some of you guys just toss your razors in a box in the closet, or some dresser drawer :frown:

i am in the process of designing a large display cabinet as i plan to prominently display all my razors, whether they be user's, collectors, or even rust buckets.

every time i walk past my (short of space) customized medicine cabinet that some of them currently reside in, i get this weird sense of i don't know what, i just think of the history and the stories the razors could tell, and the level of work that went into making such an ornate piece of dare i say, art ?

I have a dozen razors left and try to use them all. That said, there are four or five that get used way more than the rest, and it would make sense to sell the ones I use the least. The main reason I reach for them is that I hate the thought of them sitting there unused after purchasing them. My keepers are a #15, Fat-handled Tech, NDC Superspeed, Senator and Rocket HD. The ones mostly relegated to the bench are a Tuckaway, Slim, New Standard, Ball-end Tech, New, Diplomat and Parker 65R. The Ball-end Tech has been relegated to our vacation home in Florida and the Tuckaway is put away in my travel bag. The Diplomat, Slim and Parker are the ones I really wouldn't miss. I like the New and New Standard but prefer both of my TTO OC razors to them.

Mike

Very neat thread flutewhistler... I don't have quite the collection as a lot of people, but it nice to see peoples thoughts on their experiences.

Thanks,

I don't use my Goodfella (We never got along), or my "Chunky" Merkur HD.

I haven't used my Futur and Muhle R89 but that's just because the Feather All Stainless got here and kicked everyone out of the field. (These aren't going anywhere)

I'm not selling the first two razors so I can eventually give them as gifts to some of my friends that have expressed an interest in wet shaving, but their commitment is still to be proven before I give them $50+ pieces of equipment so that they just don't end up in a drawer.

Top Bottom