What's new

R41 or Fatip??

Happy Easter ladies and gents,

I have progressed from mild safety bar razors to vintage Gillette open combs and I still have issues with some hairs on my neck that lay flat. I cannot go against the grain unless I want severe razor burn. Different tricks have left me with razor burn so my new thought is a single with the grain pass using an aggressive razor. My thoughts are the venerable R41 or Fatip. I've thought about a slant too but I seem to do much better with the open combs.

Just looking for your thoughts before I take the plunge on yet another razor.

I have owned both, but no longer own either. My technique has graduated me to milder razors, rigidity is key for me.

I would get the Fatip Piccolo over the R41. It's plated brass and has more rigidity than the R41. Both have a good dose of blade exposure.

What specific razors have you used?

Razor burn typically comes from too much pressure, or poor lather and going over an area too much without relathering.

Hate to be the guy that says "try this third thing!" when someone asks about two specific things, but Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has an open-comb Bakelite slant for twenty bucks if that's what you're after. It gives a good shave but there's a lot of blade feel.

I have a couple of Fatips. The PAA slant gives a longer-lasting shave than the Fatips, but the shave itself is less comfortable. Usually I feel stubble coming in after 9 or 10 hours with the Fatips, 12 or 13 hours with the PAA. The first few times I shaved with the PAA I was sure I'd end up with razor burn after the shave, but it never happened. No post-shave irritation whatsoever.

Overall I use the Fatip Retro more often.

I can't comment on the R41.

I have both. Both are very assertive razors and will deliver an excellent close shave. If you are definitely only going to go for one pass, I would choose the R41 as I think it would perform better. Overall, however, I'd say the Piccolo is the better razor for all-round performance and ease of use.

From what I have heard Fatip have blade play and You need to adjust it manually which is why I sold my Merkur 37C.

I have used my R41 one time this morning with great results. I cannot speak on the Fattip as I do not own one.

I posted my review on the R41.

I have both. Both are very assertive razors and will deliver an excellent close shave. If you are definitely only going to go for one pass, I would choose the R41 as I think it would perform better. Overall, however, I'd say the Piccolo is the better razor for all-round performance and ease of use.
I agree.

I love my Fatip Grande but I don't think it's all that aggressive, at least not the newer ones with the slightly wider caps, but it is nicely efficient. If you go with it, I'd recommend a Gillette Silver Blue (smooth and sharp enough) and you should be able to get a good percentage of those whiskers in one go.

I have owned both, but no longer own either. My technique has graduated me to milder razors, rigidity is key for me.

I would get the Fatip Piccolo over the R41. It's plated brass and has more rigidity than the R41. Both have a good dose of blade exposure.

Razor burn typically comes from too much pressure, or poor lather and going over an area too much without relathering.
I shave my head, face and neck with a safety razor. The only irritation I get is on my neck where my hairs lay flat on my skin and grow in all different directions. I've tried everything thus far with no luck but I have no irritation anywhere else so I would imagine my technique and lather are sufficient.

Razors I've tried are:
Gillette New SC
Gillette Old
Fatboy and Slim
Tech (pre and post war Canadians)
Flare Tip SS and Rocket
Gillette Milord
Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur 38

Currently only the two open combs and the Merkur remain in my rotation.

I shave my head, face and neck with a safety razor. The only irritation I get is on my neck where my hairs lay flat on my skin and grow in all different directions. I've tried everything thus far with no luck but I have no irritation anywhere else so I would imagine my technique and lather are sufficient.

Razors I've tried are:
Gillette New SC
Gillette Old
Fatboy and Slim
Tech (pre and post war Canadians)
Flare Tip SS and Rocket
Gillette Milord
Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur 38

Currently only the two open combs and the Merkur remain in my rotation.

Takes a light touch on the neck with a rigid blade edge. The NEW SC should work. You have to follow the contours of your neck. I shave below my jawline like so:

<--- --->
^^^^^^^
---> <---

Shaving southward doesn't do anything for me.

I use a postwar Tech or Aristocrat mostly. Don't use the SC much but it works, it's overkill now.

I shave my face and head also, BBS daily.

I have progressed from mild safety bar razors to vintage Gillette open combs and I still have issues with some hairs on my neck that lay flat. I cannot go against the grain unless I want severe razor burn. Different tricks have left me with razor burn so my new thought is a single with the grain pass using an aggressive razor. My thoughts are the venerable R41 or Fatip. I've thought about a slant too but I seem to do much better with the open combs.

Try a Schone Italian. Very efficient. Smoother than the Fatip or the R41. Very low priced on Amazon. Well made, and well liked on this forum by many.

I've have both the fatip grande and the r41 . I like the r41 more. As for the trouble hairs on your neck. Do you refer to the ones in the center by the Adam's apple? I always had the same problem with the last hairs. Try it from a different angle. Once I realized a few hairs around there go at a different angle I started getting better shaves. Try it. No pressure either.

Top Bottom