What's new

R41 and a tale of two blades.

I'm still experimenting with my Muhle R41 using different blades. Last week I used a Voskhod blade with 3 days growth. !st pass was not smooth. It felt like the blade was pulling and I almost discarded it, but I kept going for two more passes. After the 1st pass, most of the beard was gone. After 3 passes and a touch up I had a great BBS shave. I was very happy as I've been every time I've used the R41.

Today I used a Feather for it's 3rd shave with 3 days growth.. Wow!, what a difference a blade makes. Absolutely no pulling, it cut the whiskers like I was starting with a no beard at aThree passes, BBS and the alum block told me no irritation at all. This R41 certainly loves sharper blades, I've been finding this out as I experiment. The Voskhod did the job alright, but it struggled with the first pass. The Feather just mowed them down. Feathers are certainly worth their cost in this razor.

I usually don't go three days, so I'm not sure how the Nacets and Personna would do with 3 days growth, but they are very smooth as a daily driver. Just wanted to share my experience, I've always had decent results with the Voskhods, but they don't compare to Feather blades in my experience. ymmv!

YMMV for sure!!

Looks like you fit into the camp of ‘aggressive razor + sharp blade.’

For me the answer is ‘mild/moderate razor + sharp blade.’

Different strokes for different folks!! :a14::a14:

As BigJ suggested, an aggressive razor usually calls for a sharp, but smooth blade for many of us. I tend to get horrible shaves out of the blades on the less sharp spectrum, even those typically very smooth, in my Timeless, New SC/LC, and Pearl.

I'd suggest trying a Gillette Nacet or Yellow, Pol-Silver, Rapira Platinum Lux, or KAI blade and see if things improve. I've had good luck with Feather on some as well, however, they can be a little scratchy or edgy for the 1st pass or so with a new blade.

Oh, and for some reason Astra SP blades seem to work well in most razors, even the aggressive ones.

Top Bottom