What's new

R.A.F. - Rocket Addiction Fraternity

What do you mean get your hands on bulldogs?

Best, JM

Hey JM,

There are some short handle rockets called bulldogs. Highly prized n really hard to get.
bulldogs.jpg

Hey JM,

There are some short handle rockets called bulldogs. Highly prized n really hard to get.
View attachment 969819

Hello Mawashi, sorry to be corrective - the pictures you show are of the British made Gillette Aristocrats, probably the most famed of all Gillette model families. The ‘Bulldog’ term I believe is only dedicated to one Gillette razor model of the Old Type family. See the below photo from mr.razor.

The Rocket family you could say grew out of the Aristocrat family, where the latest Aristocrat models, the 4th generation ones, merged into becoming Rockets some time during the late 1950s.

The most discussed model is the #58 set (below), which some people call an ‘Aristocrat’ because it is basically the same razor as the 4th generation Aristocrat (but with another style handle). Most however call this one as belonging to the Rocket family.

My third photo below shows the 3 overlapping 1950s models merging from the ‘Aristocrats’ to the ‘Rocket’. Basically, all three are built the same as Rocket HD’s but with nicer handle patterns and platings :)

And the fourth photo below is showing all main Aristocrat models, from 1st generation open combs (1930s) to the 4th generation in the 1950s.

OT Bulldog
678CC238-D4FA-4633-B422-6D164BAAC548.png

The #58 set (my example)
C7D0E8A8-0069-4CDB-9410-7F5234C4FA4B.jpeg

AND here: shown left to right: (1) Aristocrat 4th generation in rhodium which came in the #66 set, (2) Aristocrat 4th generation in bright nickel, which came in the #70 set. And lastly (3) the #58 Rocket
E8D7ECEC-3461-434C-8C02-9591CE0599FE.jpeg

Aristocrat family:
EBEC443B-39C9-4B9D-92F1-088ABDD27707.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Mawashi, sorry to be corrective - the pictures you show are of the British made Gillette Aristocrats, probably the most famed of all Gillette model families. The ‘Bulldog’ term I believe is only dedicated to one Gillette razor model of the Old Type family. See the below photo from mr.razor.

The Rocket family you could say grew out of the Aristocrat family, where the latest Aristocrat models, the 4th generation ones, merged into becoming Rockets some time during the late 1950s.

The most discussed model is the #58 set (below), which some people call an ‘Aristocrat’ because it is basically the same razor as the 4th generation Aristocrat (but with another style handle). Most however call this one as belonging to the Rocket family.

My third photo below shows the 3 overlapping 1950s models merging from the ‘Aristocrats’ to the ‘Rocket’. Basically, all three are built the same as Rocket HD’s but with nicer handle patterns and platings :)

And the fourth photo below is showing all main Aristocrat models, from 1st generation open combs (1930s) to the 4th generation in the 1950s.

OT Bulldog
View attachment 972833

The #58 set (my example)
View attachment 972834

AND here: shown left to right: (1) Aristocrat 4th generation in rhodium which came in the #66 set, (2) Aristocrat 4th generation in bright nickel, which came in the #70 set. And lastly (3) the #58 Rocket
View attachment 972835

Aristocrat family:
View attachment 972842

I stand corrected to a rocket collector of your caliber lol.

Thanks for the info!

I stand corrected to a rocket collector of your caliber lol.

Thanks for the info!

Haha, no worries sir - I am for sure not a ‘caliber’ collector. But I just really read a lot(!) of vintage Gillette razor threads ... when I actually should have been doing something else :lol1:

Brit Set #70 - highly polished case w/Blue lining. Never used. I picked up from the UK. Belonged to WW2 vet who received as a retirment gift. His son advised they found many other gifts stored away that his dad never used.
IMG_7889.JPG
s-l1600 (1) (1).jpg
No70.jpg

Top Bottom