What's new

Quijote's wet shaving journey

Straight Shave #13

Keen Kutter/ Tech - GSB (16*)
Sorrentino Tuxedo
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest Salve

This is one of the samples that @cvargo sent me. After smelling this one, I didn't think that it would be a favorite scent of the LOTH, so I figured I would go ahead and use it while she was away. I put a little in the bottom of my shave bowl and got to lathering. This tuxedo made short work of creating a mountain of lather. I could feel how slick this stuff is going to be when putting it on. I let it just sit there on my face while I stropped the K11. After, I refreshed the lather on my face, I started the actual shave. All went well on both passes. I am making small adjustments to my grip and directions of the passes. It feels like it is getting better. I still did the full first pass and only my face on the second pass, but I am getting more confident with it. The finishing passes with the DE felt a little harsh. The DE gave me 2 weepers. I think it is time to bin the blade. The soap was plenty slick the whole time. It started to look like it was breaking down, but the slickness didn't dry up like a lot of soaps I have used do when that happens. Overall, I am very impressed with it. I didn't really have any AS in my den that would match it, so I just used the CL since it has a lot of different notes in it. It works well. Adds another dimension.

Speaking of the salve though, I am going to have to start looking for a new one. This stuff is almost gone. I really like the performance, but I think it might end up being a little greasy in the hotter months around here. Does anyone have a suggestion for a less greasy salve?

A la Mancha, no real update from the family. I had grand plans of getting a lot of stuff done around the house while the family was gone, but I turned on the Olympics for background noise last night and ended up getting sucked in. Will have to double down tonight.

....Speaking of the salve though, I am going to have to start looking for a new one....Does anyone have a suggestion for a less greasy salve?....

....I turned on the Olympics for background noise last night and ended up getting sucked in....

I recommend Reef Point unscented balm. It absorbs quickly. I have very dry skin, so I happen to use mostly Sampson's unscented balm, or an unrefined shea butter, or Dr. Kiehl's, but they might be a bit too heavy for you. But the Reef Point might be right up your alley - I've used it and it was good.

BTW, I've always been a fan of the Olympics. In the "sports universe", the Olympics have always been my favorite. Maybe it's just because in my younger days, I competed in the Junior Olympics (I didn't get past the regional level, though) and it sort of "imprinted" on me, IDK; but I definitely dig 'em; especially the winter games. I was fortunate to be able to attend the '92 winter olympics in the Albertville, France. I was stationed in Germany at the time, and a few of my ski bumb buddies and I went over for a week. We stayed in Les Trois Vallees, Les Menuire, and skiied to the events. Saw ski jump, women's slalom, and the USA/Germany hockey game (non-medal round)....and then in '96, came home for the summer games in the ATL. Saw team handball, women's volleyball, men's soccer gold and bronze medal games, and the women's soccer gold medal winning game.

Last edited:
That soap is a favorite of mine. The sample came to me from @CBLindsay after trying it once I bought the whole lineup, soap aftershave and cologne. I LOVE IT! Glad the goodies made it to ya and hope you enjoy them.

Great shave Don!

but I turned on the Olympics for background noise last night and ended up getting sucked in
Yeah that curling will get you every time!
Curling.gif

Everyone in the house would groan when I turned on curling, but then we learned how they score the other night and my wife got into it since she understood it!

Straight Shave #13

Keen Kutter K11/Old Type - Polisilver (2)
Sorrentino Tuxedo
CFG Sherlock
Prorasso SB Cypress and Vetyver ASB

Today was another new sample to me. This one has a familiar scent that I just cannot place. It is also the first time I have used a CFG soap. I had another sample of their AS before and it was marvelous. This soap is quite good as well. The Henri et Victoria yesterday was slicker, but I may just have not dialed this one in enough. I stuck with the full first pass and face only on the second pass with the K11. I am feeling more and more comfortable with it. Most places on my face are good enough that I wouldn't need to do another pass afterwards, but I figure, if I am going to clean up my neck and already have the DE out, might as well make it BBS. I did end up with a slight nick on my chin from the K11 today though. It was my own dumb fault. I did my second pass out of order. I went to do the chin before I cleared under my sideburn. That meant I could not stretch that area properly and the K11 gave me a little love bite.

A la Mancha, the family is coming back today. And in anticipation for it, I am leaving work early to surprise them with a good meal when they get home. I think I may make a batch of papusas. I will also make some other stuff too, but I haven't figured that out yet. The LOTH's sister is bringing them down and will be staying with us tonight, so I have to also get a room ready for her. Should be a busy, but good afternoon.

Have a great day!

Nice read today. I am glad that you got a good shave from the Sherlock. I need to be honest that was a scent that I ordered and did not like at ALL! I know some members of the cadre like it, but I didn't even try to use it, just put the lid back on and put it in the PIF pile. You were the lucky one.

Also Papusas sound amazing!!! It has been too long since I have had some.

Nice read today. I am glad that you got a good shave from the Sherlock. I need to be honest that was a scent that I ordered and did not like at ALL! I know some members of the cadre like it, but I didn't even try to use it, just put the lid back on and put it in the PIF pile. You were the lucky one.

Also Papusas sound amazing!!! It has been too long since I have had some.
Thanks. I am on the fence about the scent. I haven't made papusas in a couple years, so we will see if I can still get it right on the first try.
First CFG soap? Please tell me you have a sample of Ghost Town Barber in there as well.
That is the AS that I tried, so I know how awesome the scent is.

You know, I'm torn. I'd like to try Henri et Victoria, but you always see Cognac and Cuban Cigars for sale on BSTs so I assume a lot of people don't care for the scent at least.

Good Stuff Don, Curling is like a bug light, you don't want to look at it, but once you do.... That is it, you are hooked, LOL

You know, I'm torn. I'd like to try Henri et Victoria, but you always see Cognac and Cuban Cigars for sale on BSTs so I assume a lot of people don't care for the scent at least.
I say go for it. I enjoy the scent, and the performance is outstanding.

Straight Shave #14

Keen Kutter K11/Old Type - Polisilver (3)
Stirling Boar
Stirling N & S
Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest Salve

Today, I stuck with the same routine as yesterday. A full first pass. I don't really go fully WTG or N-S, so I am not sure what to call it. The first pass feels good. I feel like I am getting the hang of it. The second pass, I did just the face again. I am getting better at it. I think I know all the directions I am going to go with it, I just have to get more comfortable with it. Once I do, I will throw the neck in the mix. No sense pushing myself too hard too fast. I still have 86 shaves to get good with this thing. Not that I think you guys will throw me into straight razor jail if not, but hey, it is a goal. I did the clean up with the old type, but ended up with quite a bit of razor burn today. I wonder if the old type may be more blade exposure than my face needs after these straight shaves. Granted, I know the straight is nothing but blade exposure, but it feels softer than the DE blade. I may switch back to the tech tomorrow to find out.

A la Mancha, yesterday was good. The sister in law came into town and I did make the papusas. They turned out well, but I regret forgetting that I didn't have salsa in the house. However, the family didn't actually get back until around 8PM, so they had already ate. I ended up with more papusas than I can eat. The family is doing great. Kids are back to school today. The schools had shut down for a couple of days due to illness, so they only missed 2 days. Hopefully all can get back to normal again.

Straight Shave #14

I still have 86 shaves to get good with this thing. Not that I think you guys will throw me into straight razor jail if not, but hey, it is a goal.
That line just cracked me up. I'm thinking, "Man, if we don't have this down by 100, I guess we're loooOOOOoosers".

I envy all you guys that can cook. If it's more than 4 ingredients, I usually don't even try.

Top Bottom