What's new

quick question about blades

I just finished me first week shaving with a merkur 34c. My question is how many chances do you give a razor blade company before trying a new one. My first week I only used Derby blades and they haven't been so kind to my face, should I stick with them or move on to shark, astra or merkur blades?

If I thought a blade gave me a bad shave, I'd pitch it (even after only one shave) and try another out of the same pack. If that one's no good, they go in the trash.

If the first shave with the first blade is truly dismal, they don't get a second chance from me.

Hey random,

before we go pitching our good, hard-earned coin in the bin, I guess the real question is whether it's the blade or our technique.

My first week with an Astra was nothing special (it was also my first week wet shaving too!), but the second and third weeks were so much better until my blade sampler arrived. What I thought was the blade was really my lather, my prep, technique/angle etc etc etc.

Keep an open mind, track the results, change only one variable at a time and then revisit said blade later. I have found the exact opposite with Derbys; YMMV of course but it's early days friend.

Hope this helps a bit.

I'd move on to a different brand. But, I would hold on to the Derbys and give them another try in a few weeks. If they still don't work for you then, I'd pitch or PIF them.

Personally, Derbys have never worked for me. I prefer Sharks, Feathers, Personna Reds, and Astras. I would recommend them all as at least worth a try.

I didn't have much luck with Derby's in my HD, either. Do you have Personnas? I found those to be an excellent starter in the Merkur...

I'm learning as well. I moved through the blade types after about 2 blades per type, on average. My shaves improved each time. First, I have a tough beard and the sharper blades simply worked better, and second, new blades shave differently and that helped my technique improve each time. (When I got to the Feathers--quantum improvement in technique! :)

Also, I saved some of each type to try again after I feel my technique has "settled down". During the first few weeks there are so many things that I was learning - blade angle, pressure, shave direction, lathering, prep, etc. that I'm sure when I go back through I'll get a different impression of them (Except for the Derbys. I've tried them a couple of times, and I'd be really surprised if they are in my closet this time next year. YMMV :)

Edit: OK, if I had seen Mad Man's post, I woulda just gone "+1". :001_smile

Last edited:
Hey random,

before we go pitching our good, hard-earned coin in the bin, I guess the real question is whether it's the blade or our technique.

My first week with an Astra was nothing special (it was also my first week wet shaving too!), but the second and third weeks were so much better until my blade sampler arrived. What I thought was the blade was really my lather, my prep, technique/angle etc etc etc.

Keep an open mind, track the results, change only one variable at a time and then revisit said blade later. I have found the exact opposite with Derbys; YMMV of course but it's early days friend.

Hope this helps a bit.

+1. Often it is not as much the blade as the technique. However, there is nothing wrong with trying another blade to see if it is your technique.

It possibly could be my technique I'm new to using a de razor. My prep is just fine.
Hot shower, mug and brush sitting in hot water.
AOS pre shave oil
TOBS sandlewood with a few drops glycerin in the mug.
Cold water rinse, alum block and AOS asb

I started with Derby blades and hated them. After a few months I tried them again. Still not my fav but not bad. The Astras are good

There is no rule carved in stone on how to proceed through a sampler pack ... I think you were right to start with a Derby, and those who suggest ASTRA as your second blade are giving good advice.

The person who questioned your technique is spot on, though. there is definitely a learning curve involved at the beginning, and as you gain more experience, you will be able to pick out subtle differences between blades much easier.

Remember that different blades pair up better with some razors than others. Feathers are notoriously finicky about this. Derby and Astra should be good to go with just about any razor you put them in, but you know by now, YMMV.

After you try each of the brands in your sampler at least once, go back to the beginning and try each one again. You may find you like that Derby better the second time around.

Don't just pitch your blades. They may work better in a different razor, besides if your starting out your face needs to get used to the new way of shaving. Try a different blade and once you've refined your technique go back to the other blade.

When i started out, i started keeping a spreadsheet journal particularly for blades, to see what does and does not work in each razor. It has served me well as my memory is not what it used to be. haha!

If I find I don't like a new blade after 2 or 3 shaves, I'll switch to a different one.

But I'll come back to them a few weeks or months later and try again - in different circumstances (different razor, different soap, more technique practice), they might work better for me.

I just finished me first week shaving with a merkur 34c. My question is how many chances do you give a razor blade company before trying a new one. My first week I only used Derby blades and they haven't been so kind to my face, should I stick with them or move on to shark, astra or merkur blades?
Move on but consider trying them again once you've improved your technique.

Top Bottom