What's new

Questions from a potential newbie

Hi,

Since there was a lot said here in the thread I'd like to make more specific list:

1 vintage straight razor either full hallow grind or 1/2 hallow. Try to find something that is not too flat on the spine. A reputable vendor should be able to give a very functional razor for a good price.

1 strop with both leather and linen straps. I personally like the vintage strops. They have proven their worthiness. However, their are many excellent new strop makers. They just cost a few bucks.

1 hone for starting out I'd prefer you buy a barbers hone. Look for a swaty or swaty like hone. Preference would be to have no chips, but some chipping on the edge may not effect performance depending on where they are.

I'm thinking you're looking at spend about $50-70 for shave ready razor plus $40-60 for the strop and another $40-60 for the Swaty if you buy from a vendor, so about $140 budget givre or take. If you have an eye for what you need the are deals on places like ebay, but being this is your first dive in I'd look at buying from a a vendor here on B&B. They should your interests in mind since you are a forum member.

I just wanted to note, this is not a plug for me but the entire vendor forum. There are many here in the forum that will help you along.

- Mike

Your razor burn and irritation isn't caused by your razor, it's caused by bad technique and bad products. Before doing ANYTHING, review the stickies on lathering\ and shaving and watch Mantic59's videos on youtube.

A straight razor will not by itself magically cure your skin - it's a tool you need to learnt to use. If you don't learn the fundamentals of lather and technique before you start using it, you'll just make a bad situation worse.

I actually went ahead and bought a strop and razor off fendrihan & classic shaving. I'm going to send the razor to be professionally honed, I found the honemeister list on here for Canada and it looks like floppy shoes is the closest one to me (Halifax, nova scotia). I didn't even realize that there were vendors on here otherwise I would have looked that over. It'll probably be a few weeks before all my gear arrives so I'll let everyone know how it goes when I get started!

Thanks for all the input!

I actually went ahead and bought a strop and razor off fendrihan & classic shaving. I'm going to send the razor to be professionally honed, I found the honemeister list on here for Canada and it looks like floppy shoes is the closest one to me (Halifax, nova scotia). I didn't even realize that there were vendors on here otherwise I would have looked that over. It'll probably be a few weeks before all my gear arrives so I'll let everyone know how it goes when I get started!

Thanks for all the input!

Hi,

You're welcome. We are here to support the best we can.

- Mike

Top Bottom