What's new

Questions for Canadians who order from Mama Bear

I have ordered from her a couple of times but usually only one thing at a time. I was just wondering for you canucks who order from her if you usually have to pay duty on the parcel when you receive it? I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to order more at once.

i can't speak for MB specifically, but being charged by customs is definitely YMMV. You shouldn't ever be charged anything if the declared value is under $20. Over $20, there is always a risk that a package can be inspected by customs. If it is, you will be charged with a $5 brokerage fee, GST, and duties if applicable. There would be no duties on MB soaps.

My experience has been that about 1 in 6 packages will be inspected by customs. More frequently for large packages, less frequent for small ones.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If it is sent in the mail and marked as a gift you will not be charged anything.

That is, if the value is under $50...

I had packages opened by custom with a $5 value on them... I'm not sure how they base their criteria on opening the packages.

It doesn't really matter as open packages won't mean a fee to pay.

Last I checked on the Canada Post website:

No fee
< $20 - Other/Documents
< $50 - Gift

and even then, I wasn't always charged when I received something that was over the declared value. Once, very strange, the mailman made me pay cash, he gave me change from his pocket, no receipt...

That is, if the value is under $50...

I had packages opened by custom with a $5 value on them... I'm not sure how they base their criteria on opening the packages.

It doesn't really matter as open packages won't mean a fee to pay.

Last I checked on the Canada Post website:

No fee
< $20 - Other/Documents
< $50 - Gift

and even then, I wasn't always charged when I received something that was over the declared value. Once, very strange, the mailman made me pay cash, he gave me change from his pocket, no receipt...

Weird, the only time I had to pay anything here is when it was over $100 even then it was only $20 max. I got headlights in the mail for my old ford focus in 2 huge boxes declared at 350 usd each and only paid a few bux it was less then 10 for sure.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Weird, the only time I had to pay anything here is when it was over $100 even then it was only $20 max. I got headlights in the mail for my old ford focus in 2 huge boxes declared at 350 usd each and only paid a few bux it was less then 10 for sure.

Strange indeed, I think it goes with the mailman mood...:blink:

I thought that if the item was made in the USA, then you did not have to pay duties. Or does that only cover non-consumables?

Thanks for the replies, I guess by duty I meant those nasty brokerage fees, basically anything I would have to pay at the door. I guess I a probably better to keep my orders under $20 then. Maybe it will keep some of my SSAD at bay.

I've found it to be a complete crap shoot. Canada post is by far the cheapest if you are assessed duty, they only charge $5.00 brokerage fee. Fed Ex and UPS both will charge $20.00 brokerage fee, even if the amount is a fraction of that (I once payed $20.00 for the privilege of paying $2.00 GST)

The most expensive things I usually order have been vintage razors over $100, and never been charged... maybe it's the "vintage" part of it that excludes them from duty IDK...... Finding info on it is pretty difficult.. obfuscation is the catch word I think...

My understanding is that anything MANUFACTURED in the signatory countries of the NAFTA are exempt, but there isn't much actually made in North America anymore.... except cheap auto parts out of Mexico. Being manufactured in USA, Mama Bear soaps should (SHOULD) be exempt... order away!

I have ordered lots of auto parts from the uk never paid duties just a signature and im good. A month ago ordered blades from turkey ($70) picked them up at the post office and was on my way. As I said above everything was marked as a gift. Out of the 100 or so packages only one has been opened by customs, and have only paid tax or duties for about 10 packages

Top Bottom