What's new

Questions about TOBS and Proraso Red

Been experimenting lately and used an old sample of TOBS Jermyn St shaving cream. Great results!

Can you guys help me out with questions I have?

1) Jermyn Street is more expensive than say, the Sandalwood. Is it better quality than the rest of the line? If I buy the less expensive TOBS is it different?
2) Is the cream just a whipped version of the soap? If i buy the soap and whip it up, is it going to be the same thing on my face?

Now the Proraso questions.
1) I didn't like the green and white soaps in the bowl. The menthol irritated my skin and they had little residual slickness. Is the Red a better performer? It says something about Shea Butter.

2) is the Proraso cream in a tube more slick than the hard bowl soap?

3) does the Red aftershave smell like the Red preshave? An online review said it didn't, but I am skeptical. Does the scent last or is it gone in ten minutes?

I know that's a lot of questions but I am trying to make sure I don't waste money. Thanks very much!

Sellers

Been experimenting lately and used an old sample of TOBS Jermyn St shaving cream. Great results!

1) Jermyn Street is more expensive than say, the Sandalwood. Is it better quality than the rest of the line? If I buy the less expensive TOBS is it different?
2) Is the cream just a whipped version of the soap? If i buy the soap and whip it up, is it going to be the same thing on my face?

1) I didn't like the green and white soaps in the bowl. The menthol irritated my skin and they had little residual slickness. Is the Red a better performer? It says something about Shea Butter.

3) does the Red aftershave smell like the Red preshave? An online review said it didn't, but I am skeptical. Does the scent last or is it gone in ten minutes?

I know that's a lot of questions but I am trying to make sure I don't waste money. Thanks very much!

Sellers

I think the ingredients in Jermyn Street are different, as it is for sensitive skin. I don't find much difference between it and the other TOBS creams. They all lather effortlessly, but I've found them lacking the slickness and after-feel of superfatted soaps. It's a good deal for the price, and the Grapefruit is one of my favorite scents.

I see no performance difference between Green and Red Proraso, but I prefer the fragrance of the Red.

The main difference between the cream and the soap is loading time. I can achieve substantially the same quality lather with either one.

The Red aftershave is at the top of my list. It smells different going on because of the alcohol, but it dries down to the same essential Sandalwood that the Pre-shave cream and soap have. The scent lasts for a couple of hours. I use it so frequently that I sprung for the big bottle.

I like a lot of variety in my soaps and Aftershaves, but when I want the maximum amount of emotional comfort from a shave, I go full-on Red, using the Pre-shave, Cream, and Aftershave. It's my favorite shaving-related scent.

I've never used TOBS soaps, just creams.

Good luck and happy shaving!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think the ingredients in Jermyn Street are different, as it is for sensitive skin. I don't find much difference between it and the other TOBS creams. They all lather effortlessly, but I've found them lacking the slickness and after-feel of superfatted soaps. It's a good deal for the price, and the Grapefruit is one of my favorite scents.

I see no performance difference between Green and Red Proraso, but I prefer the fragrance of the Red.

The main difference between the cream and the soap is loading time. I can achieve substantially the same quality lather with either one.

The Red aftershave is at the top of my list. It smells different going on because of the alcohol, but it dries down to the same essential Sandalwood that the Pre-shave cream and soap have. The scent lasts for a couple of hours. I use it so frequently that I sprung for the big bottle.

I like a lot of variety in my soaps and Aftershaves, but when I want the maximum amount of emotional comfort from a shave, I go full-on Red, using the Pre-shave, Cream, and Aftershave. It's my favorite shaving-related scent.

Thanks very much! That's very helpful. I also like a lot of variety in my soaps. I've been using tabac and Stirling for almost 2 years. It's time for something else. However, shelf space is at a premium and I want something I'll actually use.

So now I just need to decide!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like the Proraso Red Sandal wood aftershave(lotion), the Proraso red Sandal wood soap has a different scent than TOBS sandal wood and I prefer TOBS sandal wood. The Proraso red soap is ok but their scent is not as strong or as good a manly scent as TOBS IMO. TOBS is approx 3 times more money so it should offer something for the premium.

Sellers

1.no,no; 2. yes,yes
1. no; 2. no; 3. no, yes
and don't fret, aside from your sensitivity to menthol, none of these will be wasteful spending!
fwiw, in my experience, all proraso soaps and creams show nice residual slickness!

wasteful.jpg

1.no,no; 2. yes,yes
1. no; 2. no; 3. no, yes
and don't fret, aside from your sensitivity to menthol, none of these will be wasteful spending!
fwiw, in my experience, all proraso soaps and creams show nice residual slickness!

View attachment 1094044
Thanks very much. Unlike some, I love the Red sandalwood scent. I have the white and the green and can't use them. Maybe I'm mistaking my razor burn to a lack of slickness rather than the menthol and poor technique. It's been a long time since I've tried it. The whole White "sensitive skin" thing is a bit of a joke because it's absolutely loaded with menthol!

The community seems divided about proraso's slickness. It's maybe 70/30 in favor of it, which may be down to hair texture and technique. For my part, I have to do a lot of buffing to get it all because of my hair coarseness, and it may just not be quite slick enough for that. Only experimentation with the non-menthol red will really tell for sure.

I got TOBS in two 1.7 oz tubes last night. Maybe I should give Red Proraso a chance.

Thanks very much. Unlike some, I love the Red sandalwood scent. I have the white and the green and can't use them. Maybe I'm mistaking my razor burn to a lack of slickness rather than the menthol and poor technique. It's been a long time since I've tried it. The whole White "sensitive skin" thing is a bit of a joke because it's absolutely loaded with menthol!

The community seems divided about proraso's slickness. It's maybe 70/30 in favor of it, which may be down to hair texture and technique. For my part, I have to do a lot of buffing to get it all because of my hair coarseness, and it may just not be quite slick enough for that. Only experimentation with the non-menthol red will really tell for sure.

I got TOBS in two 1.7 oz tubes last night. Maybe I should give Red Proraso a chance.

what is your pre-shave prep?

TOBS has outsourced their hard soap for some years now. Definitely not same as the cream.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

My experience with the TOBS Jermyn cream was vastly different from their Jermyn hard soap, which irritated my skin, whereas the cream did not. I even tried the hard soap as a hand soap, and it still irritated my skin!

what is your pre-shave prep?
These days, it's shower or warm rinse and Proraso preshave. I sometimes use an oil blend i made. Sometimes I bloom the soap and rub the liquid into my beard.

My hair seems more coarse lately, probably because I'm getting older. It's Ike steel wool. I've always had problems, especially in the cartridge days. It's actually the reason I started DE shaving. I also have fairly sensitive skin. Double whammy.

My experience with the TOBS Jermyn cream was vastly different from their Jermyn hard soap, which irritated my skin, whereas the cream did not. I even tried the hard soap as a hand soap, and it still irritated my skin!
Man! I'm glad I stuck with the shaving cream. That really seems like Taylor's strong suit. It sounds like the cream has better scent too.

These days, it's shower or warm rinse and Proraso preshave. I sometimes use an oil blend i made. Sometimes I bloom the soap and rub the liquid into my beard.

My hair seems more coarse lately, probably because I'm getting older. It's Ike steel wool. I've always had problems, especially in the cartridge days. It's actually the reason I started DE shaving. I also have fairly sensitive skin. Double whammy.

try a prep with a translucent glycerin soap. it's cheap, rub over whisker, lather with wet brush.
smear off the soap. the proceed to lather with your regular soap or cream.
this prep will leave glycerin film over skin.
this *might* also help reduce irritation from menthol or other shave soap ingredient.
give it a try.

1) Jermyn Street is more expensive than say, the Sandalwood. Is it better quality than the rest of the line?
Jermyn Street is a different formula including cocoa butter. It's thicker and stickier out of the tub, with an off white colour and more of a sheen to it compared to the other creams. Personally, I find it slicker but that may just be me. The Platinum fragrance is the most expensive of the the line but performs the same as all non-Jermyn Street collection creams.

Very little difference. Slightly quicker to lather as it's already in cream form, but I didn't notice any real difference in performance. I find getting a good lather easier with the soap.

1) I didn't like the green and white soaps in the bowl. The menthol irritated my skin and they had little residual slickness. Is the Red a better performer? It says something about Shea Butter.?
I don't find any difference in performance, menthol aside. The aftershave smells a touch more 'traditional', but better in my opinion.

It lasts for a few hours but certainly not all day, which I guess is expected considering the price. It also contains shea and sandalwood oil and it leaves the skin more moisturised than a normal alcohol splash does. I find I don't need to use a moisturiser afterwards when using it.

Last edited:

Yup, me too. When I want a "comfort" shave, I go full in Proraso Red - preshave, soap or cream, and AS.

Top Bottom