What's new

Question: New Merkur 34C Blade Alignment Issue

I received a new Merkur 34C as a gift. The razor was purchased from a seller on Amazon.com. I noticed that when I insert and tighten the blade, the blade does not align properly. Sometimes the blade is not straight, sometimes the blade is more exposed on one side versus the other. I noticed that the head of the razor does not fit snugly into the body when it's tightened. The head can be moved / jiggled slightly side to side as it is tightened. This may be why I'm having issues with the blade alignment. I don't experience the same issue with my Edwin Jagger DE89 razor, where the head fits snuggly into the body.

Should the head fit snugly into the body of the razor with no side to side movement as it is tightened? If the slight movement is normal, do you have any suggestions for better aligning the blade? Do you think I should ask the retailer to exchange the razor?

Thanks for your help.

Should the head fit snugly into the body of the razor with no side to side movement as it is tightened?

It's a snug fit in my 34C, but I can't say if a little wiggle is abnormal, as long as it is snug when you have a blade inserted.

Even with a snug fit, I have to check the alignment before I tighten the head onto the barrel, as there is some play with the blade. So what I do us just back off the tension enough to move the blade, make sure it's even all around, then tighten it down.

I received a new Merkur 34C as a gift. The razor was purchased from a seller on Amazon.com. I noticed that when I insert and tighten the blade, the blade does not align properly. Sometimes the blade is not straight, sometimes the blade is more exposed on one side versus the other. I noticed that the head of the razor does not fit snugly into the body when it's tightened. The head can be moved / jiggled slightly side to side as it is tightened. This may be why I'm having issues with the blade alignment. I don't experience the same issue with my Edwin Jagger DE89 razor, where the head fits snuggly into the body.

Should the head fit snugly into the body of the razor with no side to side movement as it is tightened? If the slight movement is normal, do you have any suggestions for better aligning the blade? Do you think I should ask the retailer to exchange the razor?

Thanks for your help.

Try this / it work for me with all Merkur razors. Lay the cap on your palm with the shaft pointing up. Insert the blade. Then put the main part of the razor onto the shaft with the handle of the razor facing up and start tightening until it just about catches the thread. Then lift the razor from your palm slightly with the handle still pointing up until the cap stops touching your palm and finish tightening. The blade should align correctly.

It's a common problem with merkurs, which is why i haven't gotten one even though there's 5 i want.

Can you try loosening the head, adjusting the blade and tightening it down always checking the alignment? That's what nick shaves does and it works for him. Sometimes you gotta fiddle with it a tad. If it doesn't work then contact merkur about a replacement. They have a warranty and from my understanding, over the past few years just stopped honoring it. Sad, considering they are one of the top companies around.

Most razors using pins for alignment, the Gillette OLD type design, will need to be manually aligned. The blade sticks out on the ends by design for alignment and handling purposes. Even if the razor is made so tight that you have to force it together, the manufacturing tolerances on the blades will still leave you with side to side movement.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Most razors using pins for alignment, the Gillette OLD type design, will need to be manually aligned. The blade sticks out on the ends by design for alignment and handling purposes. Even if the razor is made so tight that you have to force it together, the manufacturing tolerances on the blades will still leave you with side to side movement.
Well said, Toby.

More than likely its the blade you are using.

Try a different brand.

Never had any movement/alignment issues of an Astra SP/Feather/Gillette Silver Blue in my 34C.

The razor parts fit perfectly together with amazing precision (I'm an engineer btw).

Last edited:
More than likely its the blade you are using.

Try a different brand.

Never had any movement/alignment issues of an Astra SP/Feather/Gillette Silver Blue in my 34C.

The razor parts fit perfectly together with amazing precision (I'm an engineer btw).
I do find polsilver has more of an issue than Gillette Silver Blue on this razor. No big deal to tweak, though.

Yup...i use the same method as Silento with my Merkurs and have never had an issue except for one time where the alignment holes on the blade was off. Learned the hard way.

just checked my Merkur 34 C which is basically my only razor, when tightened, the head it is as solid as a rock, no movement at all, sure the blade alignment can be wiggled around a bit on tightening but we're probably talkin' a few thou. bottom line I have never had a problem with the shaves.Call me an old stick in the mud but when I buy anything substantial I would pay full retail and buy it from a legitimate store so that if there is a defect, (ie. the head wiggling), I can exchange or return the product hassle free. Sometimes dealing with vendors who reside in cyber-space can be a tad more problematic.

I don't have a problem with my 7 yr old 34G. Similar to Silento, I have always loaded it by resting the head on a towel, putting the blade on the head and tightening it as far as I can while the head is still resting on the towel. I only touch the head when I give it a final light twist to be sure it's tight before using it.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I don't have a problem with my 7 yr old 34G. Similar to Silento, I have always loaded it by resting the head on a towel, putting the blade on the head and tightening it as far as I can while the head is still resting on the towel. I only touch the head when I give it a final light twist to be sure it's tight before using it.
I load mine in this fashion too. No problems to report.

Same experience as Joe Blow. Head is solid as a rock when tightened but blade does have a bit of wiggle room when just resting on the pins and this can affect final alignment but the difference on my razor isn't significant.

Thanks to all who have responded to my question, lots of helpful information and suggestions. I'll try the inverted head loading method to se if that helps. Seems like the general consensus is that this is normal for Merkurs. I also never considered that the blade overhang on the ends had an actual purpose, to aid in adjustment. I went back and watched the Nick Shaves video on YT where he shows how to load a safety razor using his 34C and he even had to fiddle a bit with the blade to get it aligned.

On my 34C, the head is also rock solid once it's fully tightened. Its just in that transition from where the threads are first engaged until it's fully tightened that the head can move side to side. It's as though the holes are slightly too big, or the posts are slightly too small giving the head a few degrees of freedom to move. Being an engineer, I expected the tolerances to be tighter between the two components. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom