What's new

Question for you big brush guys: 25mm+

I just took possession of two big, custom brushes. They're both very nice, high quality brushes, but I'm not used to the size. I'm used to a C&E BBB and a Simpson Chubby 1 in super, and I'm finding I'm a bit lost with these big boys. One is a 28mm knot with 58mm of loft, and the other is a 25mm brush with 60mm of loft. The 28mm knotted brush has a lot of backbone, and the 25mm brush, with only 2 more millimeters of loft, is nice and soft but still has backbone underneath.

My question is, if you're a big brush guy, what do you use (cream or soap), and by what method of lather manufacture do you find works best with a big brush? Maybe all I need is a bigger bowl or maybe the 28mm is too stiff for cream, but I had a heck of a time this morning with Proraso cream and the 28mm brush, and I don't have that problem with the either of my smaller brushes.

It made lather for sure, but I had a hard time with the cream/water ratio, and I had to use more cream than usual. Do you find that with a bigger brush more cream is necessary?

It made lather for sure, but I had a hard time with the cream/water ratio, and I had to use more cream than usual. Do you find that with a bigger brush more cream is necessary?

I use the same amount of cream but what I've learned is to give my big brush a good shake compared to my smaller ones as it holds alot more water.

When I started out I went through the big brush thing and I still have a couple but I rarely use them. What I found is its more a quality over quantity kind of thing. A medium size brush makes plenty of lather and is more manageable. I find I just waste alot of soap and the stuff just goes all over the place with a larger brush. Of course its a personal thing and some guys love em like some love really small brushes and thats OK.

One thing with big brushes is that if you use cream it will take a little more cream than what you use with the smaller brushes.

The larger and denser brush like the custom you have :smile: will suck up the cream really quick. Do not be afraid to give it a pump to once or twice. Proraso is a great cream but it takes a bit more effort to get lather.

With the 28mm brush you have you can use it for soaps as it has a solid backbone. I seldom use creams. I am primarily a soap user, and lather mostly on the face.

Hope that helps

The larger brushes hold more water, so if you use more cream you'll just end up with more lather that gets washed down the drain. If you're cool with that, then it's all good.

But if you want to use the same amount of cream, and generate the same amount of lather, then just shake more water out of the big brushes before you begin building lather... and remember to squeeze out all the deep-seated awesome lather during the last pass or two.... the big brushes tend to hold more lather, so there's more "hidden" in the brush... so do the squeeze (a la Mantic's suggestion) to get all the lathery goodness from down DEEP in the brush. :w00t:

I had a big brush but had to put it down because it was too big for my face - but boy did that thing lather. It lathered real nice with creams, especially palmolive. I would soak the brush, two heavy flicks, and then mix away. It was easier to use than the smaller brush I have now.

I bought and immediately sold a Rooney 2, 1 with 60mm bristles because I don't use the brush to paint lather, but in a circular motion to condition the beard. Doing the latter got lather in the ears and nose, it was not controllable. But that brush sure make lather in the bowl, it was like a wisk making merange.

However, I have a CH2 with a 27mm knot and 50mm bristles. It's as great as my smaller knot 50mm brushes, but with a more luxurious feel, and very controllable.

Best regards,

Jay

I have exactly one brush, a 25mm Superior. I bought it because it makes a bunch of lather from either soaps or creams, but use mostly creams, and it is doing exactly what I bought it for.

To get the lather I want I add water as I am building lather by dipping the brush into the hot water in the sink. It takes three or four dips to get a lather I am satisfied with.

One thing with big brushes is that if you use cream it will take a little more cream than what you use with the smaller brushes.

The larger and denser brush like the custom you have :smile: will suck up the cream really quick. Do not be afraid to give it a pump to once or twice. Proraso is a great cream but it takes a bit more effort to get lather.

With the 28mm brush you have you can use it for soaps as it has a solid backbone. I seldom use creams. I am primarily a soap user, and lather mostly on the face.

Hope that helps

Yup, I've noticed my 28mm sucks up a lot of cream compared to my smaller brushes. It's kind of a hassle and struggle to create lather. I recently purchased the 28mm and am already thinking getting another smaller one.

Thanks, gents, for all the replies.

I've found that for me, big brushes work well with lathering on my face. I got frustrated one day and gave it a whirl. It worked very well, and it's what I've been doing since. All's well that end's well.

Top Bottom