What's new

Question about the Merkur slant bar

I've been reading about the Merkur slant and one product description said it is not for new shavers and those unaccustomed to shaving with a double edge. I have a lot of experience with shaving with a safety razor, but does a slant require an entirely different technique to avoid cuts? Is someone new to a slant likely to chop their face off.?

Absolutely not.
If you have some experience with a DE and have a good sense of maintaining angle and pressure, you should be just fine. It is a bit more agressive than most DE's so light pressure is very important. I must admit I am a bit biased; I love my slant and often shave with it even tho I more frequently shave with str8's.
Most of the posts I have seen appear to fall in the category of "love it" or "hate it." I think if you have reasonable technique and give it a chance, you will love it. For me, nothing better than my slant with a feather blade in it.

My technique isn't great with an HD quite yet and I have less or equal nicks with a slant. The same things are important - pressure and angle.

I like it so far, the thing just glides through stubble. Try it out!

Jman --

Here's a re-run of an old post I made. It was for a new wet shaver who was starting out using a slant.

Welcome to B&B!!

Starting with a Slant is a little unusual, but ok in the long run. You'll just have to be attentive (as you should be in any case).

I wouldn't consider the Slant as 'aggressive' necessarily; the only thing is that the slant pretty much requires good technique. The slant induces a twist to the blade, and this results in more of a shearing action during the shave that provides an exceptionally close and smooth shave.

Generally, the results when using a slant are 'amplified'. A slant 'amplifies' the shave of an experienced shaver and affords a truly exceptional shave result. OTOH, a newer shaver with tentitive technique, poor blade angle, inappropriate pressure, inadequate beard prep, &c, has his experience 'amplified' as well. In this circumstance, the slant can be very unforgiving.

For this reason, the slant is regarded by most as a poor choice for a new or inexperienced DE shaver, tho some have indeed started out with them, and successfully made the transition.

Just be sure to embrace accepted practices, prep well, take your time, and you'll experience about the best shaves possible.

You're gonna like this wet shaving stuff. . .

-- John Gehman

One thing I might add is to eyeball the blade exposure and if necessary hold the blade ends with your thumb and forefinger as you tighten down the top cap. I find mine to be hit and miss if I don't pay attention and too much on one side can cause problems. Other then that I manipulate my slant just as I do any DE. Best of luck with it.

I appreciate the information. Can someone explain the statement in bold that was in an ad for for the slant:
#337C Merkur Heavy Duty Safety Razor with “Slant Bar”
The Merkur Slant Bar razor is the “go to” razor for the experienced shaver. Its slanted edge mimics the cutting angle of a straight edge razor. This allows for the head to glide along the difficult contours of your face, which in the right hands will provide for an extremely close shave.

Although it is a superb shaver, it is not recommended as a primary razor nor should it under any circumstances be wielded by a novice. Uses #219 Blades

I appreciate the information. Can someone explain the statement in bold that was in an ad for for the slant:
The Merkur Slant Bar razor is the “go to” razor for the experienced shaver. Its slanted edge mimics the cutting angle of a straight edge razor. This allows for the head to glide along the difficult contours of your face, which in the right hands will provide for an extremely close shave.

Although it is a superb shaver, it is not recommended as a primary razor nor should it under any circumstances be wielded by a novice. Uses #219 Blades

Yes, in a word; nonsense. Of course YMMV.

The slant is my primary shaver. I use it about 4 or 5 times a week.

Be careful loading a blade, follow slant-fan's advice on this point.

That's just plain silly. Unless it means that you shouldn't shave your primary, in which case that's just plain silly. The Slant should be used by anyone who wants to, whenever they want to. It's a great razor and absolutely brilliant with a Feather. If you cut yourself, pay more attention.

Cheers

Jeremy

I agree with the beforementioned comments. The ad copy made as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Since I don't have access to any stores here which carry Merkur, what are the special instructions for inserting a blade? I'm leaning toward that long handle slant, but I need a couple of more pushes, like the guy jumping out of an airplane for the first time.

I am using a slant all of the time now and love it. I use feather blades with it and it gives me the closest shave I have ever gotten. The 39c is another great razor too. Possibly even better than the regular slant. The 39c is a lot easier to use light pressure with the because of its added weight and the ability to find its center of gravity and use it to give light pressure(balance it on your fingers).

EDIT: I have a light beard so I do not have to get too aggressive while shaving. So everyday is not a problem for me.

For some people(myself included), I will not use the slant as my everyday razor. This statement probably was included to guide the beginning wetshaver away from purchasing an item they would not know how to use properly, having a bad experience,loss of time, and then returning said item to the vendor which eats into his/her costs.

For those who are experienced in wetshaving, it does not apply, so no reason to get upset over it. In the scheme of things, it is helpful for some, but not all.

marty

I agree with the beforementioned comments. The ad copy made as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Since I don't have access to any stores here which carry Merkur, what are the special instructions for inserting a blade? I'm leaning toward that long handle slant, but I need a couple of more pushes, like the guy jumping out of an airplane for the first time.

The 39c is the best slant in my opinion.I thought it was going to be more aggressive but for some reason it is easier to control and gives a great shave.
(YMMV=your mileage may vary.)It may work differently for you.

Top Bottom