What's new

Question about all these shave ratings

Aren’t mistakes aloud? Do they not help contribute to our understanding?
The focus on success my get in the way here. I think this was eluded to earlier.
Stay in the moment so that the past and future may serve you well.
Reflecting on today’s shave what does the presence of now teach me at this time?
I say this mostly because it could be our choice of hardware/software and not technique.

Aren’t mistakes aloud? Do they not help contribute to our understanding?
The focus on success my get in the way here. I think this was eluded to earlier.
Stay in the moment so that the past and future may serve you well.
Reflecting on today’s shave what does the presence of now teach me at this time?

MISTAKES
Look at all that would not have happed had God not created us to make mistakes.

Gen 2:5 - And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word.
—Joseph Conrad

Careful word selection can help us to focus on success. The words we internalize define our possible thoughts. I never make mistakes. I experience learning opportunities. Pain is a gentle reminder to stop doing something. Replace negative words with positive.

Notice the checklist only asks if we completed an action. The is no value judgment. We are successful when we take baby steps to success.

MISTAKES
Look at all that would not have happed had God not created us to make mistakes.

Gen 2:5 - And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

He who wants to persuade should put his trust not in the right argument, but in the right word.
—Joseph Conrad

Careful word selection can help us to focus on success. The words we internalize define our possible thoughts. I never make mistakes. I experience learning opportunities. Pain is a gentle reminder to stop doing something. Replace negative words with positive.

Notice the checklist only asks if we completed an action. The is no value judgment. We are successful when we take baby steps to success.
I enjoy your thoughtfulness. It tickles me.
I have fibromyalgia (amongst other ailments) so I have pain with no perceived purpose. lol
I have a love hate relationship with words. They are an absurdly limiting form of process.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Could you suggest "post-shave feeling" items we can add to the rating system?

Here are some very rough thoughts on Post-shave feeling:

1. Hydration - sufficient/insufficient
2. Softness - soft/rough
3. Irritation - yes/no + degree
4. Painful - yes/no + degree
5. Blood (persisting after shave complete) - yes/no
6. Tenderness - yes/no + degree

Here are some very rough thoughts on Post-shave feeling:

1. Hydration - sufficient/insufficient
2. Softness - soft/rough
3. Irritation - yes/no + degree
4. Painful - yes/no + degree
5. Blood (persisting after shave complete) - yes/no
6. Tenderness - yes/no + degree

When you said post shave feelings, I thought you meant feelings, like: indifferent, bitter, apoplectic, delirious, jovial, etc.

I have a simple two "ranking" system for my shaves.

One ---- Wow !, that was a great shave !
Two ---- That was an okay shave, but I'll do better next time.

Simple, easy, no analytics, and no pressure to get involved with ratings.

WHY CHECKLISTS WORK

The answer has to do with a rather underappreciated characteristic of mental activity: its elements don’t just fire when ready; they fire when readied.
Cialdini, Robert B.. Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade (p. 132). Simon & Schuster. Kindle Edition.

Shaving checklists prepare our subconscious to fire shaving activities. I have writing checklists, reading checklists, etc.

Checklists that are positive affirmations prepare our minds for success.

The phenomena involved appear to emerge more than automatically. They seem to surface automagically. p. 131

Checklists document the hard road to success. Some runners hang their old shoes in the garage. The more worn out, the better. There is a tree along the Appalachian Trail where hikers toss their dead shoes.

But like eating differently and going to the gym faithfully, you have to put in the effort every day. You have to stay with it.” p. 125

Even Drs have succumb to the checklist with immense resistance.

And well they should. An example of how not using a checklist can get them in trouble. I was taking a medication that sometimes had a side effect of severe colon cramps. Well, I got one of them and called an ambulance. The cramps disappeared within 17 minutes. (I'm anal that way.) I refused to pay the ER bill because the doctor hadn't advised me of the side effects as required. They quickly wrote off the bill.

Following "best practices" are an airtight alibi for a bad result. Not following them doesn't work so well.

A look ahead.

Sure, it's possible to shave without a checklist or rating form. I did it for 48 years or so. This is a metaphor for other activities. Does anyone use a checklist in their job or former job? If possible, summarize the structure for us.

Thanks

After making a few posts about the value of an extended checklist, I found through practice it doesn't work for me as well as focusing on not drawing even a speck of blood.

Your statement shows focus on the outcome and a non-negative one at that.
Can we at the very least aspire for an in the moment neutral acceptance of the average.
How’s that for wordy.

Top Bottom