What's new

Question about all these shave ratings

Sorry for the long post, I am chronically wordy. TLDR bolded at the bottom.

I have been looking around the forums lately and many people rate their shaves. It seems that the common scale for this is either 1-10 or 1-100. There is a thread, "What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)." In the thread, some people do a decent job of explaining why a particular shave was really good or really bad but some people let the numbers stand on their own merits.

I got curious about people's rating systems and did a number of searches using the search bar. After looking through almost a hundred pages of posts, I didn't find a thread on the topic (there is a large change that I missed it) but I did find a post from the end of this past year that sums up part of my issues with numeric rating systems in a post from December 2019 by @TinyT:

If I hadn't tried the Tech, I'd probably still be struggling away with the Merkur, convincing myself that all razors are basically the same. They may well be in the right hands, but not in my hands and I know for a certainty that the Tech is a much better razor for me. But here's the rub. Whatever I think of as being the best, whether that's a razor, a blade, a soap or even an individual shave, I know that better is possible. Whether I can find it or not, or achieve it or not is a different question. That's the problem with rating shaves out of 10 and why I don't do that anymore. I once rated one of my shaves with the 34C a 9 out of 10. Today, that shave wouldn't be any higher than a 5. It's all relative. I'm at the beginning of my journey, so the differences and gains are still quite pronounced but as I progress, they will become smaller and it's likely that at some point the plateau effect will occur. At least, thats what I expect, as I follow my plan. It may not work out that way, but that's ok too. There's a saying in chess that it's better to have a bad plan than no plan. I have that, at the very least.

This ties in with my general distaste for ratings and reviews based on the star system. I think that they get shifted higher than necessary. For example, Lyft or Uber drivers are expected to have a 5-star rating or they can lose their gig. A driver who picks me up, gets me to my destination without an accident, and is not rude is the expectation, which for me would warrant 3 stars, but I feel I have to give them 5 stars because they are decidedly capable. My issue is that this doesn't leave room for the people at the top who go out of their way to make your experience enjoyable/convenient and who make the experience something special. The vast majority of drivers I give 5 stars to are not 5 star drivers but they should be allowed to continue driving.

Bringing it back to what we care about on these forums, I am curious how people who rate their shaves do it. What are the factors that you consider? Do you have set points for each component of the shave (pre-shave, blades, razor, soap, brush, aftershave, etc..)? Do you do more of a subjective holistic approach? Do you lend even credence to how it feels during the shave, right after the shave, and a few hours down the road? Do you spend far less time thinking about it, it is only shaving after all, and just give a general impression?

Obviously there is a lot of subjectivity in rating our shaves and it seems like people regularly get good shaves (many of the rated shaves seem to be high.) I have been tracking my shaves more over the past year and am using a system that asks for a rating of each component followed by an overall rating for the shave, however, I find myself constantly putting 7 or 8 in every category. I think this is because to get a 9 or a 10 a shave should be better than average or change my opinion about shaving in some way. Pretty much the only exception to a 7 or 8 across the board was when I swapped a new brand of blade in to the same exact setup I had been using for a month and got horrible razor burn and could hardly cut the hair.

If you are still with me at this point, I am interested in hearing from people how they rate their shaves, what they prioritize in their ranking and how they think it is working for them. I am not interested in trying to establish a universal ranking system (sounds boring) or in arguing over the nuances of each approach to determine a superior method. That said, I might steal ideas from people I like to start making more informed choices in my own shaving journey. I appreciate your time and your thoughts.

TLDR: I see a lot of people rating their shaves and want to hear about their system.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Depends on if you rank on a linear or logarithmic scale. ;)

Personally, whether we are talking shaving or gymnastics, I don't think there is such a thing as a '10'. Some day something will surpass the previous'10' and then what? '10+'? '11' (with apologies to Spinal Tap;))?

Most of my shaves are in the 8 to 9+ range because most shaving gear is pretty darn good, if the proper technique for that razor is used.

I think I did rate one horribly harsh face shredder at 1.5 out of 10. Others have been in the 6 to 8 range.

Reviews and rating systems will always have a large degree of variability when people are doing the reviewing and rating.

That is why, to me, nothing is better than personal experementation and experience.

YMMV

I've gotten super-simple. Any blood, regardless of how little or much is one. No blood is zero. In the last 104 shaves, I've drawn a tiny amount of blood twice.

A shave without blood is a Damn Fine Shave (DFS) with the closeness I usually get. If there is blood, I stay in the house all day. :)

Last edited:
My rating is pretty subjective but it goes from poor, decent/good, to great/excellent. I don't like putting numbers because it would take forever for me to come up with the exact number every time.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Depends on if you rank on a linear or logarithmic scale. ;)

Personally, whether we are talking shaving or gymnastics, I don't think there is such a thing as a '10'. Some day something will surpass the previous'10' and then what? '10+'? '11' (with apologies to Spinal Tap;))?

Most of my shaves are in the 8 to 9+ range because most shaving gear is pretty darn good, if the proper technique for that razor is used.

I think I did rate one horribly harsh face shredder at 1.5 out of 10. Others have been in the 6 to 8 range.

Reviews and rating systems will always have a large degree of variability when people are doing the reviewing and rating.

That is why, to me, nothing is better than personal experementation and experience.

YMMV

That reminds of seeing your shave ratings on two different razors David.

I've seen you rate a shave with a Tech as 9++ and also with a Fatip at 9++. I understand that they can both give a very good and even very similar shave, but each shave is done differently.

Given your rating is the same for both shaves and razors, I assume you dont have a preference for either razor and like both equally?

I dont rate my shaves because I'm improving with each shave. My shaves are consistently very good to great. Assuming the gear I'm using is up to the task. Consistently very good or better is what I strive for.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That reminds of seeing your shave ratings on two different razors David.

I've seen you rate a shave with a Tech as 9++ and also with a Fatip at 9++. I understand that they can both give a very good and even very similar shave, but each shave is done differently.

Given your rating is the same for both shaves and razors, I assume you dont have a preference for either razor and like both equally?

I dont rate my shaves because I'm improving with each shave. My shaves are consistently very good to great. Assuming the gear I'm using is up to the task. Consistently very good or better is what I strive for.

Hi Mike,

It's timely that you raise this question regarding ratings as I've been considering dropping numerical ratings from my daily shave postings altogether. The numbers really mean very little.

I have given up chasing BBS and, like you, am just going for consistently good shaves.

I just like to do it with several different razors. ;)

Regarding whether I prefer FaTip or Tech, my mood at that moment determines the razor. I love both and would not want to be forced into choosing.

Given the variability of my moods (;)), I may reach for a FaTip one day and a Tech the next. Both are capable of providing me with a beautiful, comfortable and relaxing 9+ DFS to BBS shave. If my skill and technique are up to snuff that day.

It's the same with the Personna "BBS-0", Gillette Old Type, Blackland (Sabre, Blackbird and Dart), Karve, Timeless (.68 SB and .95), Charcoal Goods, Ikon B1 Standard, GEM Featherweight, RazoRock Lupo and GC .68 and there are more.....

Confusing? Yes it is, for me too.

How do I resolve the conundrum?

I just go with the Limbic part of my brain and enjoy the ride. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
How do I resolve the conundrum?

I just go with the Limbic part of my brain and enjoy the ride.

Yep, me too. I am down to only 4 razors on my shelf now though. All give virtually the same shave, with differing techniques. Mood dictates razor, blade and soap.

"TLDR" Using an uncommon abbreviation (at least to me) without explanation of what it means: 1 (In good humor.)

I went to the abbreviations page and it wasn't there so I am at a loss to what it means.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yep, me too. I am down to only 4 razors on my shelf now though. All give virtually the same shave, with differing techniques. Mood dictates razor, blade and soap.

I wish I could get down to only four razors. My ADD makes that improbable. ;)

I really like the way you state this: "All give virtually the same shave, with differing techniques. Mood dictates razor, blade and soap."

In many ways, that's how I feel about all the razors I mentioned. I can get a smooth, comfortable, relaxing shave out of all of them, just depends on where my head's at that day and what feels right.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I wish I could get down to only four razors. My ADD makes that improbable. ;)

I really like the way you state this: "All give virtually the same shave, with differing techniques. Mood dictates razor, blade and soap."

In many ways, that's how I feel about all the razors I mentioned. I can get a smooth, comfortable, relaxing shave out of all of them, just depends on where my head's at that day and what feels right.

My Fatip Grande, GEM Bullet Tip and MMOC and my very mild Brit Old Type clone are all very different razors and yet with the right technique all shave as comfortably as any other. The Brit clone may not shave as closely as the rest but it gives a truly fantastic shave.

When I got to the point of using my MMOC as comfortably as I do the Brit clone it all came together and now they compliment each other without any drawbacks.

My MMOC is calling, but I have been listening to AC/DC haha.

Ah yes, very good. Thank you.

You're welcome!

I only rate when it is requested in the thread. If anything goes wrong it is my fault and not that of the hardware or software. For this reason I dislike rating and almost all my shaves are tens since I always enjoy my shave.

Reactions: ike
If I get a very close, smooth, irritation-free shave I rate it a 10. If any of these factors are present, the shave is down-graded depending upon the factors and how many "faults" there are. For me, if it is a perfect shave it gets a 10.
I treat it the way judges at the Olympics judge ice skating, diving, and gymnastic events.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My Fatip Grande, GEM Bullet Tip and MMOC and my very mild Brit Old Type clone are all very different razors and yet with the right technique all shave as comfortably as any other. The Brit clone may not shave as closely as the rest but it gives a truly fantastic shave.

When I got to the point of using my MMOC as comfortably as I do the Brit clone it all came together and now they compliment each other without any drawbacks.

My MMOC is calling, but I have been listening to AC/DC haha.

AC/DC will do that to you. ;)

Which iteration of AC/DC? Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

My Old Type absolutely rocketed to my top tier of razors when three things happened:

1. You posted about the damage that can occur to the corners of the top cap, and how to fix it (which I did).
2. I learned how to shave with a shallow angle on the Blackbird and applied the same technique to the Old Type.
3. I matched the Old Type up with the Russian TiBam titanium handle.

20191229_123810~2.jpg

So now I am just as likely to reach for this humble Old Type as I am one of the FaTips or one of the Techs. :)

I don't really like the numerical system, but I'm willing to go along with the custom.

Any rating system like this has to based on the user's "personal best". 10 is Nirvana, you might glimpse it, but never reach it. After you have been doing this for awhile, you tend to get your equipment and everything dialed-in so most ratings are in the 8.0-9.x range. If you are trying something new, you might get into the 6's or 7's. If you require a visit to the Emergency Room, that's probably a 5.
:lol1:

This ties in with my general distaste for ratings and reviews based on the star system. I think that they get shifted higher than necessary. For example, Lyft or Uber drivers are expected to have a 5-star rating or they can lose their gig. A driver who picks me up, gets me to my destination without an accident, and is not rude is the expectation, which for me would warrant 3 stars, but I feel I have to give them 5 stars because they are decidedly capable. My issue is that this doesn't leave room for the people at the top who go out of their way to make your experience enjoyable/convenient and who make the experience something special. The vast majority of drivers I give 5 stars to are not 5 star drivers but they should be allowed to continue driving.

I agree on not giving people 5 star ratings just because - I hate that. I manage people for a living and I understand the push for those ratings but its like the phrase from the Incredibles:

"When everyone is super, no one is."

I also will not give rave reviews for products that are inline with other products. For example, artisan soaps. The bar is already set high and if you meet the bar, you get a 3 (meeting expectations or average). If you exceed the expectations you get a 4 and if you fall short of the bar, you get a 2.

I would not compare an artisan soap to a mass produced commercial soap. They are in completely different leagues to me (college versus pro). Now that doesn't mean there aren't any commercial soaps that compare to artisans (there are .. in fact many), but there is a certain starting point you have to work from.

Just my $0.02

Great question!

Several rating systems work for me. My favorite rating is defined on the B+B acronyms list: SAS, C+C, DFS or BBS! You could say: A, B, C, D!

For the ‘What did you use today?’ thread I use a 0-10 point scale. When I returned to ‘traditional wet shaving’ I was going for SAS/C+C, or a 2-4/10 shave. There days I expect DFS+, or 8-10! Either I have changed the scale or my technique is really better!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The third rating system is what I term the ’Wine Spectator’ 100 point scale. After awhile reading the magazine, I realized that there are no ratings (or very, very few) below 85! Above 90 it is a very tough log scale with few ratings greater than 95! In theory it is a 100 point scale. In practice it is really a 10 point scale going from 85-95 in the vast majority of ratings!! :a17::a17:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
AC/DC will do that to you. ;)

Which iteration of AC/DC? Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

My Old Type absolutely rocketed to my top tier of razors when three things happened:

1. You posted about the damage that can occur to the corners of the top cap, and how to fix it (which I did).
2. I learned how to shave with a shallow angle on the Blackbird and applied the same technique to the Old Type.
3. I matched the Old Type up with the Russian TiBam titanium handle.

View attachment 1049713

So now I am just as likely to reach for this humble Old Type as I am one of the FaTips or one of the Techs. :)

Black Ice today, but I have them all. I prefer Bonn Scott sometimes, but Angus is King!

The Gillette Old Type really is that good once you learn the basics. I use mine steep. Because they have negative blade exposure I can, comfortably. They really do need to be straight.

My Brit clone is a poor copy. The inside of the cap is concave and barely clamps the blade with the outside edge of the cap. Combined with the amount of blade exposure and the way I shave it just all comes together like that razor was made for me. The best $5 I ever spent or likely ever will spend.

I gave up rating when I realised I was on a quest.

7E5LSne.jpg

Now I use words instead. Lots of words. Not as many as Herman Melville yet.

Top Bottom