What's new

Question about all these shave ratings

Knowledge from Doing

By now, many of you probably feel your rating system is good enough. I felt the same way until this morning when I tried @Steinmetzify's rating system, I found there is much to learn.

In Hebrew, the word Da'at (knowledge) is the knowledge that comes from doing. There is a big difference between reading about light pressure while shaving and bleeding from too much pressure.

This morning, I used the "Steinmetzify Rating System" with some minor modifications and a major one. The major modification was verbalizing the word "previsualize" before each stroke.

1578399752638.png

Seven reps begin to move knowledge from conscious to unconscious action. It takes about seven times seven to enter the first level of unconscious action. (Consider the numbers a concept, not the scientific numbers).

If you desire, print the checklist and use it for a week with no changes. Modify and repeat for seven weeks.

Last edited:
Knowledge from Doing

By now, many of you probably feel your rating system is good enough. I felt the same way until this morning when I tried @Steinmetzify's rating system, I found there is much to learn.

In Hebrew, the word Da'at (knowledge) is the knowledge that comes from doing. There is a big difference between reading about light pressure while shaving and bleeding from too much pressure.

This morning, I used the "Steinmetzify Rating System" with some minor modifications and a major one. The major modification was verbalizing the word "previsualize" before each stroke.

View attachment 1050481

Seven reps begin to move knowledge from conscious to unconscious action. It takes about seven times seven to enter the first level of unconscious action. (Consider the numbers a concept, not the scientific numbers).

If you desire, print the checklist and use it for a week with no changes. Modify and repeat for seven weeks.

Super cool to see it laid out like this, I’m going to print it out and use this. Thanks @GaryTha!

I’ve had this kind of discussion a few times with others when it comes to pain scales the medical profession asks us. It’s a touchy subject with people in chronic pain. It’s rather arbitrary and only a gauge of a direction or trend it seems. History is important as well as the state of mind and emotional temperature of the person giving the rating. When I’m asked “so how’s your pain today 1-10?” I always find myself in a moment of confusion. I ask myself “compared to what?” often. I once asked the nurse that.
It’s just a number.

I’ve had this kind of discussion a few times with others when it comes to pain scales the medical profession asks us. It’s a touchy subject with people in chronic pain. It’s rather arbitrary and only a gauge of a direction or trend it seems. History is important as well as the state of mind and emotional temperature of the person giving the rating. When I’m asked “so how’s your pain today 1-10?” I always find myself in a moment of confusion. I ask myself “compared to what?” often. I once asked the nurse that.
It’s just a number.

I have the same thought about rating pain levels. I believe I have a fairly high tolerance to pain. Back in the days when dentists used Novocaine for pain relieve, I had nearly all dental procedures other than extractions done without any anesthetic as I hated the numb feeling that lasted for hours. A few years ago, I had a colonoscopy done without the aid of any pain medication. Few people would even consider doing that.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yep, me too. I am down to only 4 razors on my shelf now though. All give virtually the same shave, with differing techniques. Mood dictates razor, blade and soap.
I think I'm roughly down to four groups of four for each of my razors give or take.

It’s just a number.

Intuitive vs. Evidence-based
(Note: I consider "Evidence-based" a pejorative.)

Rigel,

Based on this and previous posts it seems that you prefer an intuitive evaluation for your shaves. I boldfaced words I thought about during my Camel Walk. My bias is virtually 100% numerical when I feel like rating a shave. Nobody should assign a value rating to either preference.

For a long time, even high-ranking decision-makers seemed to concur, preferring to base their choices on intuition, personal experience, and anecdote.
They’ve been replaced by an era of “evidence-based decision making”​
Cialdini, Robert B.. Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade . Simon & Schuster. Kindle Edition.​

Thanks to your input, I've added three rating items:
  • low emotional temperature
  • low life stressors
  • low preoccupation
Doctors say "traditional evidence-based medicine" to intimidate patients to accept treatment. In the same way, numerical ratings for shaves may not be better than intuitive ratings.

1578416136923.png

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Rigel,

Based on this and previous posts it seems that you prefer an intuitive evaluation for your shaves. I boldfaced words I thought about during my Camel Walk. My bias is virtually 100% numerical when I feel like rating a shave. Nobody should assign a value rating to either preference.

For a long time, even high-ranking decision-makers seemed to concur, preferring to base their choices on intuition, personal experience, and anecdote.
Cialdini, Robert B.. Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade . Simon & Schuster. Kindle Edition.​

• low life stressors
  • low preoccupation

Doctors say "traditional evidence-based medicine" to intimidate patients to accept treatment. In the same way, numerical ratings for shaves may not be better than intuitive ratings.

View attachment 1050546

Following your thoughts on a standardized rating system with interest.

The numerical ratings I previously used were heavily influenced by how the shave made me feel. Intuitive in your model.

Very interesting discussion.

Following your thoughts on a standardized rating system with interest.

The numerical ratings I previously used were heavily influenced by how the shave made me feel. Intuitive in your model.

Very interesting discussion.

Thanks for adding something that can propel us towards our goal of a unified written checklist.

Could you suggest "post-shave feeling" items we can add to the rating system?

Thanks,

Gary

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I compare my shaves in terms of their closeness, smoothness, completeness, and longevity with the best shaves of my life. That's easy enough.

In terms of comfort the only standard for me is mine: The Damn Comfortable Shave.
  • Comfortable during the shave.
  • Comfortable immediately after the shave.
  • Comfortable until the next shave.
That is sufficient as a system (for me). Sometimes I also compare today's shave with yesterday's or a recent shave or my best safety or best straight razor shave. It's all internal, but it works.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

I'm not really into rating, but if I did:
Bed ridden or unconscious= bad shave
Close but not a BBS= Great Shave
BBS = Fantastic Shave

MPO on products = I try to keep my mouth shut but sometimes I don't.

Rigel,

• low life stressors
  • low preoccupation

View attachment 1050546
I’d retort with.. your evidence based assessment about me is quite perceptive.:thumbup:
I analytically gauge the perceptions around me to better understand my own. A lot of gut reaction is use in my life.
I reserve my mental energy for the assessment of others and the world around me and let my “intuition” (for lack of a better word) process the data to decide my actions. Oddly I’m a very cerebral person and think nonstop. Ive never felt at home with anyone. I’ve stopped trying after 50 years.

I woke
I have the same thought about rating pain levels. I believe I have a fairly high tolerance to pain. Back in the days when dentists used Novocaine for pain relieve, I had nearly all dental procedures other than extractions done without any anesthetic as I hated the numb feeling that lasted for hours. A few years ago, I had a colonoscopy done without the aid of any pain medication. Few people would even consider doing that.
I once woke up during a colonoscopy. Does that count? lol
I’ve said every number from 1-10 and a few that aren’t. I’m 1-5 every day now.
my shaves on the other hand, if I am forced to rate em, are a solid 6-9

SELF-RELEVANCE

You are more likely to pay attention to information that is relevant to you (you-relevant). Pronouns or names fix the focus.

"You need to clean your room before you play" is relevant to "you," but it can be seen as domineering if it's not. In other words, don't use "you" when YMMV.

Self-affirmations program the self-conscious if the affirmations are self-relevant. Saying "I did something" establishes that "I" was the relevant actor.

Self-affirmations are more effective if done in the past tense. Except for one paragraph, the whole Torah is written in the future recursive tense. This means the future is stated as if it happened in the past. The meaning is "It's as good as done."

I restated the ratings to include self-relevance. Accomplishing the rating sheet before shaving programs the subconscious that the items are important. The subconscious then takes over and "It's as good as done."

1578480281492.png

Aren’t mistakes aloud? Do they not help contribute to our understanding?
The focus on success my get in the way here. I think this was eluded to earlier.
Stay in the moment so that the past and future may serve you well.
Reflecting on today’s shave what does the presence of now teach me at this time?

Top Bottom