What's new

Queen of Hearts and 'youthful', 'subtle' fragrances

As a woman doing DE shaving, I have generally gone the route of getting everything unscented. I've used stirling soaps as my shaving soap of choice, unscented with beeswax, but I have tried many of their fragrances. Of everything they had, the fragrance that I came close to using was Queen of Hearts.

My qualm with it is that it remind me of the fragrance I would associate of an elderly woman, something that doesn't befit me. The kind of scent I'm interested in is something that I would describe as 'youthful' and 'subtle', and I'm even open to 'refreshing' 'spring' or 'summer' and maybe something kind of fun as long as it's most certainly subtle. Naturally, not having a scent at all works well for me, but it would be fun to actually incorporate a fragrance, and Queen of Hearts is as close as I've ever gotten to something I click with. I am not great with smells and their connotation, and when I first tried the sample puck of Queen of Hearts it immediately stuck out as the obvious fragrance to go with, no further questions needed, it was absolutely the one for me. The second time I visited it with a round of various bars of soap this time, I was getting sophisticated old lady vibes from it, which maybe I would be interested in 15 years from now, but it aint me right now. I really appreciate the sophisticated sense that comes from Queen of Hearts, but it seems overly so to the point that there is nothing playful about it. I want to love it, and part of me is telling myself that I'm being hyper critical and tunnel visioning on a particular aspect of the fragrance that doesn't represent the whole, so my question is, how do YOU guys feel about this particular scent? Am I on the money with my interpretation, or would you argue it's a more youthful scent than I am perceiving it as? And of course, if you have a recommendation for me, please let me know!

Don't know anything about the queen of hearts fragrance but if I was going to buy a perfume for a friend that I knew would be something they would enjoy and wear as a signature scent and that would be an evocative, crowd pleasing, youthful scent....I would buy them Chanel No 5. It just works so well on women. Like Polo Green or Dior Sauvage for men. Can't go wrong imo.

Edit: Having realised you are talking about the fragrance of the shave soap and not the perfume, I have no suggestions. Can't go wrong with fruity or citrus scents if you want playful and youthful though.

Don't know anything about the queen of hearts fragrance but if I was going to buy a perfume for a friend that I knew would be something they would enjoy and wear as a signature scent and that would be an evocative, crowd pleasing, youthful scent....I would buy them Chanel No 5. It just works so well on women. Like Polo Green or Dior Sauvage for men. Can't go wrong imo.

Edit: Having realised you are talking about the fragrance of the shave soap and not the perfume, I have no suggestions. Can't go wrong with fruity or citrus scents if you want playful and youthful though.
Thanks for the response! yea I realize this might not have been the place to ask this kind of question, but you would be surprised how difficult it is to find people who understand fragrance. I actually had an old friend from uni who said yea actually there is a lot of guys who are really into perfumes, more than you would expect, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Madam Animitzi, Welcome to B&B!
And, kudos on your courage to post here regarding "youthful"!!
Speaking personally, most of us are anything But "youthful"!

However, in true B&B fashion, I can only recommend that you experiment and try many options!
You'll find lots of variations and eventually hone in on what you personally find "best"!

I’m not familiar with the Queen of Hearts soap but you’ve certainly piqued my interest. As far as other fragrances go, the OG L’Eau d’Issey for women fits the list of qualities you’re looking for. Might be worth a sample.

I remember reading that Jacques Cavallier’s original idea for it was to create a fragrance for people who find most fragrances “too perfumey”. It was meant to evoque the crisp feeling of fresh water. In his own words: “the scent of the spray rising from a waterfall, mingling with the perfume of flowers, and the fragrance of woods in springtime”. And even though it came out in 1992, it’s one of those rare gems that don’t feel dated at all in 2022.

Top Bottom