What's new

Quality Boar Brush

Hey All,

I was wondering who makes quality boar brushes. Is it mainly Omega, or are there others?

I have a couple nice Silvertips, but I'm actually interested in a nice boar brush.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Omegas might be nice, but I've never owned one. For me, the best boar brush you can get is made by Semogue. Go to vintagescent.com and look at the Semogue Owner's Club or the Semogue 830. Leon (Bruno), the site's proprietor, is a vendor here. He'll treat you right.

Just got a Semogue Owner's Club and it is an awesome brush! It's taking its sweet time to soften up, but it just keeps getting better and better.

Omega, Smeogue... Boreal used to make some good dense boar brushes, but they seem to have gone downhill/don't get much press anymore. The best ones for me are the $10 Omegas (eg the 10005) - I have a about 10 Omegas & Semogues that will be being PIFFED soon enough so keep your eyes on this forum. ps my overall favourite boar was an Omega 31064 that I used daily for 6 months before it became a wet noodle - I'd recommend it over all other boars (and a lot of badgers) if it didn't 'age' so badly. As is, I'd go for a medium sized Omega:thumbup1:

As how it goes on a forum attention for certain products comes in waves. Semogue is, for good reasons no doubt, getting lots of attention right now. Omega is really nice too but there is also Vulfix. Though I prefered Omegas at first I am, after more extended use, won over by the Vulfix boars.

All of these brushes are making quality boars btw. HJM (Mühle) makes some nice boars too but they will give you a hard time breaking them in; mine are all clipped and deliver a more rugged sensation.

The nice thing with boars is their price-tag; you could order a few at the same time and save on shipping costs! :wink2:

I have a couple nice Silvertips, but I'm actually interested in a nice boar brush.

You need to define 'nice'. I have 4 semogues and they're all top notch in different ways. can't comment on Omegas, but these two are the main quality boar brands.

I find the 1305 just about the best blend of soft tips and real, definite, you can actually feel it there, backbone. The 830 is similar but a fair bit softer.

Omega and Semogue are both great brushes. I find the Omegas to be bigger and a little on the floppy side. My favs are the Semogues. Great choices depending on what you want in a boar. Leon/Bruno at Vintage Scent is a great vendor. Just be prepared to wait a few extra weeks to get through Customs.

Omega and Semogue are both great brushes. I find the Omegas to be bigger and a little on the floppy side. My favs are the Semogues. Great choices depending on what you want in a boar. Leon/Bruno at Vintage Scent is a great vendor. Just be prepared to wait a few extra weeks to get through Customs.

You can't go wrong with either Omega or Semogue.

Still you may want to consider two factors.

One, the size of the loft. Granted I like Omega brushes but some of them are just to big. The brush will be floppy.

Two is the handle. Plastic handles on the Omegas just seem to cheapen the fine brushes Omega makes. Happily both Omega and more so with Semogue make brushes with acrylic and wooden handles.

Top Bottom