What's new

Putting the D in DE

I just read a post about blade longevity which may render my question here irrelevant, but just for giggles:

Does anyone pay attention to which edge they are using so as to evenly distribute wear on both edges?

I usually use Gillette and Derby blades and average about 5 shaves a week. As my handle suggests, I can light a match on my face after about 18 hours. I have been trying to swap blades every Sunday morning as part of my weekend chores. Obviously, the quality of my shave deteriorates as the week goes on, but was wondering if paying attention to which edge I use could eke out another quality shave or two.

I shave until the head is loaded with cream rotate the razor in my hand and shave until the 2nd side is loaded rinse and repeat.

I can't say that I watch it too closely. But, before I rinse the lather off I alway try and make sure both sides of the razor have been used. Thus making sure each side has been used a couple of passes each. With experience everyone develops their own routine that works best for them.

What I do is just switch the edge when I rinse the razor.
I shave the right side of my face with one side, rinse, shave the left side with the other side, and so on.

I don't think that it would make a noticeable difference to the amount of stubble left after 18 hours though...

For me - every time I lift the blade off my face I do a half-turn on the razor - it's now a sort of reflex action in as much as I don't think about it now, it just happens.

I break the blade in half and use half of the blade for 3 days. I do not need to be concenred about using it evenly.

I turn the razor every time i rinse it. I do not really pay attention to how much i turn so could be doing a 360 sometimes. Never have noticed it helped how long the blade last.

Random chance will pretty much allow equal use of both edges without your having to count how many time you use each edge.

I shave an entire pass with one edge of the razor. When I put the razor down to rinse my face in between passes, I always put it down in the same position. When I pick it back up, I rotate it and do the next pass with the other side of the razor. This works very well for me, and it ensures that I use both sides of the blade evenly.

Top Bottom