What's new

push or pull?

when finishing a blade. say on 1u film or a coticule. do you go spine first like stropping? or edge first like all the other honing? or dise it even matter? am i over thinking it? (its has happened before lol)

There are two opinions on this, and I'm not sure at the final polish stage it matters much. Certainly on coarser grit, you need to be working edge first to avoid producing burrs, but final polish isn't removing enough metal to pull up a burr so far as I can tell.

Anything finer than 1u I would suggest stropping though.

im mainly thinking coticule. but really i vuess theres only one way to find out lol

For coticule, under running water edge first otherwise I don’t think you would feel the stickiness properly.

Murray Carter advocates spine leading all the way - but then he’s a controversial outlier. After watching his videos I tried “stropping” on the coticule to maintain the edge. It worked well. With coticules anyway I find pure x stroke doesn’t work for me. In slurry I find Japanese strokes are the only thing that properly remove metal and in the finishing stages some sort of circle is needed at some point - even if only incidental to the x strokes.

So I guess I use spine AND EDGE leading all through my coticule progression. YMMV

Maybe you didn't notice this at the top of the page. Newbie Honing Compendium

Follow the burr method to start would be my recommendation. If not, follow the method of choice. With some experience, you can deviate.

There are many experienced hone masters here with many different ideas that all work, but to start you need a method and not a hodge podge (confusing mixture) of concepts.

on a coti, you might try spine first as the garnets wont abrade the edge as much as they would edge first. i cant exactly recall, but i thought the garnets dont breakdown like the jnats. so while the jnats are refining, the coticule may not based on how many garnets are loose or exposed. its been a while so maybe a coti expert will speak up.

Spine leading has a slightly higher frequency of leaving a bur or wire edge. Not a deal breaker and I'm sure you will be fine either way. Linen stropping after honing eliminates most of this edge or spine leading.

Wouldn't the swarf that you get from the spine then get trapped and pulled by the edge if you lead with the spine? Depending on the stone of course.

Top Bottom