What's new

Proraso Shelf Life and Aging

Just curious if my Proraso soap is deteriorating or if is this a normal look. I have been using this tub in a regular rotation with one other cream since December 2023. I always leave the cap propped open overnight to dry. That area of the countertop does catch afternoon sunshine through the skylight so UV exposure is possible as the glass does not block 100%.

The picture clearly shows some drying cracks and various tones of white. My experience with Proraso lately is some days I get a great fluff and other days it is flat and unexciting, but overall it works. I kind of want to open a tub of something else but rather finish out one before starting another. At this rate, it will take me another 18 months to finish it. Anyway, just curious as to your thoughts. Thanks!

Proraso.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I had some Proraso red that was around 6 years old and just threw it out about 6 months ago. I do not lather out of the tub like you did, I just scraped some out with out of the tub with out getting it wet and pressing it into the bowl because I bowl lather all the time. The puck started to crack about 3 years ago but I still used it and finally it started to look not what I wanted to use on my face so gave it a toss.
There is a label on the container that states how long it is good for when opened. I have some Proraso green and it is mentholated and it still in good shape and is over 6 years old and I use it once in a while.
When in doubt toss are my thoughts, just to play it safe!

I'll start off by saying I'm not a soap expert and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either...

That said, I have to believe that soap, based upon its ingredients and construction should never go "bad". It may lose effectiveness over time as a result of degradation (drying out, constituent elements weakening, repeated wet/dry cycles.)

Your post has made me rethink wetting the soap (there's a tutorial promeintly displayed on the home page about getting a great lather) to make a great lather. I've had very fine results scooping a poration out of the container with a dry utensil, transferring it to my lather bowl.

I've no doubt there are many here on B&B who'll attest to no issues with their respective tubs of soap both lasting a very long time and being effective over the length of that time.

I would submit the shrinkning you're seeing is "normal" from repeated wet/dry cycles and, as you noted, being exposed to sunlight and the related heat produced from that form of radiation.

I've had bar soaps sit for very extended periods of time, dry out, crack and come back to serviceable life with some repeated use, though, also as you noted, there was some diminished (at least perceived) quality of the overall use experience.

I've not used, not seen Poraso live and in person, is it a cream or a solid puck?

For what it's worth, unless you develop a rash, breakout, or get irritated with the soap in its current condition, I'd say continue to use it until there ain't none left. Unless of course, you follow the notion put forth in the foregoing post, one I follow very closely and especially with food items: "When in doubt, throw it out."

And simply for the fun of it to come full circle:

Just curious if my Proraso soap is deteriorating or if is this a normal look. I have been using this tub in a regular rotation with one other cream since December 2023. I always leave the cap propped open overnight to dry. That area of the countertop does catch afternoon sunshine through the skylight so UV exposure is possible as the glass does not block 100%.

The picture clearly shows some drying cracks and various tones of white. My experience with Proraso lately is some days I get a great fluff and other days it is flat and unexciting, but overall it works. I kind of want to open a tub of something else but rather finish out one before starting another. At this rate, it will take me another 18 months to finish it. Anyway, just curious as to your thoughts. Thanks!

View attachment 1839721

Since Dec 2023??!!
Lot of aging for short time!
To me, looks like a bit over-drying.
(What region/humidity?)
FWIW, I'd secure the lid after use.
Have alway had great shaves with Proraso red soap!

proraso sandalwood simpson boker edelweiss july 31 2018.jpg

Since Dec 2023??!!
Oh darn, I meant December 2022 and I live in Southern California where it is sunny and dry most of the year.

Thanks for the response everyone, I will just roll with it and yes I do face lather so repeated wet-dry cycling.

Last edited:
Soap looks good. Still better than my MWF tallow :c1:. When the soap gets like that, it is harder than when you started with. It is harder to get enough soap in the lather. Try to brush longer than normal your soap before making the lather.

It's just lost some water, but will be OK to use. It might need a little more time to load your brush than before. I would not worry unless the soap develops some off-scent that might clue you in that it's "use by" date has passed.

Top Bottom