What's new

Proraso Pre & Post shave cream

I also use it as a pre-shave and I love it. For those down under, Nathan at MensBiz is getting some of the sensitive stuff later this year. He says they are waiting to print some English labels and won't let him sell the Italian labelled one.

What? I can get it at a local supermarket and it's all Italian labelled. All comes from the same importer, as Aus only has one.

I'll give it a go, the green jar is a brilliant product, although Winter here sees the Proraso getting a bit of a rest.

Even though Winter here is better than a lot of English summers I lived through. Nother story.

Thanks for the writeups, Marco.

The white-lidded jar describes itself as a pre-shave cream for sensitive skins, without the "post-". I agree that it protects very well, but it has some powerful, strongly-scented chemicals that clash with any subtle-smelling cream that a person might want to use. Maybe these same chemicals are needed for its efficacy, otherwise it is a shame that they had to be included. My favorite cream is the delicate Trumper's Almond, but it is completely dominated by the Proraso and I don't like that at all. The Proraso works much better with SMN, which is of the same type, scent-wise.

The white-lidded jar describes itself as a pre-shave cream for sensitive skins, without the "post-". I agree that it protects very well, but it has some powerful, strongly-scented chemicals that clash with any subtle-smelling cream that a person might want to use. Maybe these same chemicals are needed for its efficacy, otherwise it is a shame that they had to be included. My favorite cream is the delicate Trumper's Almond, but it is completely dominated by the Proraso and I don't like that at all. The Proraso works much better with SMN, which is of the same type, scent-wise.

This is completely in line with my post earlier in this thread.

This is completely in line with my post earlier in this thread.

Yes, it is.

The plain truth is that Proraso products are a bit heavy-handed. Some people don't mind that, some do. Speaking more generally, there are those that appreciate the potent mint/eucaliptus/camphor group of chemicals/scents, and those that don't care for them. I am in that latter group so, for me, the Proraso pre-cream is more of an occasional medicinal product than a pleasant indulgence. It's all part of the YMMV of shaving.

I'd like to try a pre-shave product and I'm looking at this or the AoS pre-shave oil. besides the price difference, can anyone do a compare/contrast?

I'd like to try a pre-shave product and I'm looking at this or the AoS pre-shave oil. besides the price difference, can anyone do a compare/contrast?

This is just MHO, but there is really no comparison. The AoS oil is just that: oil. All it does is lubricate (which is good), gunk up your razor (not so good), and force you to spend time trying to get it off your face once you are done shaving (simply awful). The Proraso cream, on the other hand, softens your beard and has a noticeable effect on the quality of the shave, then vanishes without a trace when you are done. Trouble is, as I said earlier, it is powerful stuff, and feels like your are applying paint stripper to your face.

1 man's paint stripper is another's coolish menthol. Perhaps you should try and cut down on it a bit, I don't find it strong at all. But the more you use, the bigger the effect.

Since reading Marco's thread the other day I have been using Proraso Pre & Post as a Pre shave treatment before every shave. It adds a nice cooling sensation and I swear that it has allowed me to use less aftershave. While I can't say that this is all due to the Proraso I am going to keep it up for another week or so and then switch back to not using it to see if I see a differnece.

Thanks Marco.

I use this stuff every day as pre-shave, and occasionally as "post" if I've beaten myself up a bit (tired/careless/crook blade). I find it has great healing & comfort qualities.

It is the one item in my den that I never allow to run out before getting a new (500gm) tub!

I've actually never used it as a Pre, only Dopo in conjunction with the splash. Before the splash even dries, I rub a tiny amount all over my face. It moisturizes, and cools. Excellent on hot days.

I'll have to try it as a pre-shave.

I love this stuff for prep. It's really improved my shaving experience. I have sensitive skin that is easily razor burned. With this stuff I don't have that problem any more. It's worth a try. I follow the instructions like a good soldier & apply it before each pass / I do 2.

I love me some Proraso Pre/Post and I also use the Sensitive Skin formula shave soap. I have noticed, however, if you use the post, make sure your face is dry or it becomes a gunky film.

I bought some with the intention of using it as a post shave, as it's so economical.

My routine is: alum block after the shave, then a cold water rinse, then a splash of witch hazel. Depending on my mood, I may go with Osage Rub after the witch hazel. But either way, before the witchhazel or Rub dries off, I'll take some Dopo on my finger tip, spread it to my other fingers and dab it around my face. Then I'll spread it and mix it in with the not-yet-fully-dried witch hazel or Osage Rub. You really do have to dilute it with a little moisture or else it goes on like a paste and looks like it.

Still, even with the dilution, I find the finishing texture of Dopo is not fully to my liking. It leaves my face with a matte finish. My other favorite AS is more liquid and soaks into my skin giving it a healthy buffed, glowing look. Proraso as Dopo is quite matte in texture, and often gives me the look of wearing some sort of makeup foundation. It does leave my skin soft, and I do like the scent, but the texture it lends to my skin is not optimal, and it doesn't sooth irritation or burn terribly well.

Still, I use it as Dopo regularly because it's inexpensive and does a good enough job. The matte effect seems to lessen as the day goes on.

Recently, I've started using it as a pre-shave. I think this is where it really shines. I seem to get less irritation when using it. I heartily recommend it for this.

K.T.

I have noticed, however, if you use the post, make sure your face is dry or it becomes a gunky film.

Really? I haven't tried it with a fully dried face, but I would think the Dopo would be even pastier if it were used undiluted.

I will have to give it a try.

K.T.

I rinse my face in cold water after shaving, do a quick rub round with the alum block, leave a minute or so, rinse again with cold water, then rub a small amount of the pre/post cream onto my wet face. This avoids leaving a greasy residue. It's good stuff.
Personally, I don't bother with it as a pre-shave. Prefer a couple of drops of oil after soaking the face in hot water.

I agree with everything said here, Proraso products are some of the best shaving products available. I recently bought the 500ml pre/post, 500ml shave cream and the 400 ml splash, I like it that much :thumbup:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I agree with everything said here, Proraso products are some of the best shaving products available. I recently bought the 500ml pre/post, 500ml shave cream and the 400 ml splash, I like it that much :thumbup:

Two weeks ago I purchased the 400 ml Proraso aftershave splash for the ridiculous price of € 10!:001_smile:thumbup1:

Top Bottom