What's new

Proraso Pre & Post shave cream

I started using Proraso Pre/Post shave as an AS Balm whith DE razors. When I started using straight razors I found I liked it better as a Pre-shave. I think the DE razors tend to make the benefits of Proraso Pre/Post cream a little less obvious.

As a newbie I find the white pre-post cream really works well for me. Mostly I use it as a preshave cream but if my technique was really bad and my skin is hurting it does make a great aftershave balm. As I have oily skin I have found I should use a small amount (half a pea) as the cream really works to mosturize my skin. Have not seen an aftershave splash by the brand in my town but will look for it.

I actually ordered some of this when I splashed out for a complete shaving kit a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen this thread at that time so I guess I just got lucky!
It really does work very well and I use it both before and a tiny amount afterwards as well. Indeed it's replaced my old moisturiser in that respect.
Well recommended.

I started using this product during the summer because the menthol cools my face in the humid heat. Though I might use it just as pre-shave in the dry winter months (moving back to my witch hazel after the shave), this product has earned a spot as a staple for me.

I'll add my recent experience with pre/post. I just started shaving at night because my kids have to get to school really early. So without showering I needed a way to soften my beard more quickly than holding a hot cloth for 5 minutes. Picked up pre/post, $13 at Apthorp Pharmacy (which has a good selection of Trumper's btw). It works really well as a pre-shave conditioner; the first pass was noticeably smoother (the other passes were a little smoother but it had rinsed off by then.) I don't like it much as a post-shave balm; it leaves a little residue and felt greasy. I'll stick with witch hazel only.

I suppose if money were no object you could use it between passes to make up for thinner lather...anyway, if you don't mind a pretty strong menthol rush it's a good product.

I like it as a pre-shave, but it really shines between two passes. This is why I'll just start my shaving routine with cream only, then - after the first pass - I'll wet my face, apply a generous amount of the Proraso pre-post-cream and re-lather. That's the perfect summer shave for me!

I use this cream as a post shave cream but I would like to try it as a pre shave as well.

What's proper procedure ?

Rub it on a wet face and let it sit for a few minutes before lathering up ?

This is what I've been doing for a week. Whilst I don't love the smell I have to say it is a beard melter when applied for a few minutes whilst I get my lather in order. It's very refreshing but it does wipe the smell of your soap out completely. I also find a tiny bit rubbed in after the shave reduces any irritation to zero and is very soothing. Luckily it settles down smell-wise so it doesn't fight the cologne.

I use this cream as a post shave cream but I would like to try it as a pre shave as well.

What's proper procedure ?

Rub it on a wet face and let it sit for a few minutes before lathering up ?

All of you love it and none of you have posted a review (correct me if i'm wrong) about it?
I have a 500ml tub coming my way which should be delivered after the weekend.
If my 150ml shaving cream and 100ml AS are almost gone I will order the 500ml cream and 400ml AS as well.
El-a-Menthol likes the menthol in Proraso!

Last edited:
I use the Proraso sensitive pre-shave cream regularly. While I don't consider it a miracle cream, it does help soften the beard and make the shave more pleasant. The small glass container will last several months with careful use. My only complaint is that it seems to make the lather more difficult to rinse off my straight afterwards.

We're very fortunate to have a retail chain (Shoppers Drugmart) that sells nearly the entire Proraso lineup in Canada including the sensitive pre-shave cream at very reasonable prices.

One thing that seems to be confusing to me is it routinely being called Pre-Post cream. I cannot find anything on the product that indicates it's meant for post shave. It's labeled Anti irritation pre-shaving cream. Although if it works for you, nothing stops one from using it as a post cream I suppose.

For those who were asking for instructions on use, here is the official instructions on the sensitive version jar:

Proraso, with Aloe, Green Tea and Vitamin E, is an anti irritation pre-shaving cream, designed to defend sensitive skin against aggressive shaving, soften the beard and soothe redness.
Before Shaving: wet your face and massage the cream delicately until it is absorbed completely. Apply foam or soap and shave as desired. Apply the cream again if shaving for a second time.

I use the pre-post cream, I only use it for a pre shave just before I lather. I am not quite sure about using it post shave I might give that a try some day, perhaps on an exceptionally hot day when I have nothing to do after as I prefer a good cooling balm like Proraso. Great review! I agree %100

Use it every shave, between every pass.

Pre, during and post this stuff WORKS.

Get the cream or soap as well, and the AS and you have your very own Italian Job.

My go to shave for months recently was Proraso end-to-end with a slim loaded with Astras.

I use it every shave. I won't shave unless I have it. If it was a choice between shaving with the Pre post vs not.. I would just grow a beard

One thing that seems to be confusing to me is it routinely being called Pre-Post cream. I cannot find anything on the product that indicates it's meant for post shave. It's labeled Anti irritation pre-shaving cream. Although if it works for you, nothing stops one from using it as a post cream I suppose.

Same here...I was not aware that people are using it post shave.

I am only 3 DE shaves in and I use it pre shave as per instructions and I LOVE the smell. Id does seem to soften up the beard and the first pass is very smooth.

I am still on my 1st blade of a 5 pack sampler so no experience there. I have been following up with an Alum block and then Thayers Witch Hazel.

I am not so sure about post shave, but going to have to try it now that others are recommencing.

I use it every time I shave, and I love it as a pre-shave (one of the only products I use every time). I agree with the others about it having a scent that "takes over" your shave, but I find that it passes quickly and then I smell the soap or creme I am using once I am doing the second/third/fourth passes.

As a post shave, however, I didn't care for it...seemed to irritate my neck after an hour or so. My favorite thing to use afterwards is Proraso ASB, after an alum block and a final cold rinse.

So with all these comments from people not liking the Proraso pre/post as a POST - what do you use instead? I too am looking for an alternative post-shave cream...

Top Bottom