What's new

Project Old Type

Mlee: It's not that I don't like the razors. I just like longer handles.

Esox: That is interesting about quickly aging a brass surface. I know that some guys who are knife addicts like to patina their carbon steel blades. Again though, not my thing. I like my blades either good quality stainless or if they are 1095 I prefer a coating for protection. They only knifes I let slide are some cheap Scandi Grinds (Condor / Mora...). Not to continue so far off topic but an old timer I bought a couple bowies from once told me that a Tomato based paste like ketchup / red sauce, or lemon juice would stain carbon steel in a patina fashion. I wonder if that might work for brass or copper?

As for the old type, I am sure I will find another someday with a bent tooth and fail on the attempt to straighten it (I have heard they are fragile too). When that happens then I will have a donor handle.

I think I will use they short handle it came with to test stripping nickle from brass by boiling in 50/50 vinigar water for an hour. I read that on here a while ago. If that works then I will use it again to test a DIY replate. I have a NEW Type SC and a Micromatic that are stripped and polished that I want to plate in nickel. I will post the results.
If you like long handles I may have a cheap solution for you:
Center Punch Brass Handle
Here is the first post. I made one and it worked well.
I had a quick stop at my local Harborfreight this morning while searching for open Barbershops to get a haircut (no luck there) and a brass centerpunch attracted my attention. Brought one home and put a 10-32 tap through it, it was the perfect size. It has two chambers so additional weight could be added. By itself it weighs 52.60 grams. I think it is quite nice for those old Gillette OC with cracked handles. It will probably look very nice plated. Nice Knurling.

View attachment 411884View attachment 411887View attachment 411885

imatabor: Yeah I have considered making a handle that I could just use in place of the factory handle on a variety of my 3 peice razors. That would be a project for later on though... I can't leave well enough alone. Buying a brass punch would mean I would have to buy a lathe to go with it... :) it is a good excuse to buy another tool. But I am going to just focus on the immediate task for now. Good suggestion though.

I actually hadn't clicked on the link yet when I responded. I was thinking you were talking more like a brass drift punch (hence the lathe). I actually have three or four of that exact HF impact style center punch. I might try both ideas later on down the line.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ammonia will add patina to brass. If you have some Miracle Grow, water it down and apply to bare brass. The results happen real fast. I think Miracle Grow has salts that accelerate the process so keep it quick and rinse thoroughly (salt isn't good for the brass if left on a long time)

IIRC, yesterday I read a thread I believe you made regarding a custom brass brush handle that you added a patina too. I have read about similar things, but so far you're the only one to mention Miracle Grow! I've read about, and watched videos on using salt+ammonia to add a "patina" to brass but I agree, that seems too aggressive for what I'm after.

Esox: That is interesting about quickly aging a brass surface. I know that some guys who are knife addicts like to patina their carbon steel blades. Again though, not my thing. I like my blades either good quality stainless or if they are 1095 I prefer a coating for protection. The only knifes I let slide are some cheap Scandi Grinds (Condor / Mora...). Not to continue so far off topic but an old timer I bought a couple bowies from once told me that a Tomato based paste like ketchup / red sauce, or lemon juice would stain carbon steel in a patina fashion. I wonder if that might work for brass or copper?

As for the old type, I am sure I will find another someday with a bent tooth and fail on the attempt to straighten it (I have heard they are fragile too). When that happens then I will have a donor handle.

I think I will use they short handle it came with to test stripping nickle from brass by boiling in 50/50 vinigar water for an hour. I read that on here a while ago. If that works then I will use it again to test a DIY replate. I have a NEW Type SC and a Micromatic that are stripped and polished that I want to plate in nickel. I will post the results.

Right! Tomato sauce. Cooking tomato sauce, spaghetti sauces ect in aluminum pots will actually pit them and destroy them over years of use. I'll keep that in mind.

I read a thread yesterday from a woodworker who wanted to strip chrome plating from drawer pulls as they were solid brass underneath and he said he had great results dunking them in muratic acid that can be bought at most hardware stores. Diluted hydrochloric acid, which I believe is muratic acid, will eat brass so timing is critical. Apparently it works very well. There are other ways of removing plating, but seem a bit complicated to me. Such as a battery charger and hanging the plated part in a water solution ect. Smaller items like razor handles I'd just work away at with a wire wheel then wet sandpaper and then polish with jewelers rouge on a cotton wheel to finish.

I actually hadn't clicked on the link yet when I responded. I was thinking you were talking more like a brass drift punch (hence the lathe). I actually have three or four of that exact HF impact style center punch. I might try both ideas later on down the line.
I was wondering about the lathe comment, I just thought that if you went into HF that you lacked the self-control and would buy a lathe.:001_tongu

I did this and had a handle in 5 minutes.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've read about using the spring punch handle, but I hadnt seen any pics of a finished razor with one. I like it...

IIRC, yesterday I read a thread I believe you made regarding a custom brass brush handle that you added a patina too. I have read about similar things, but so far you're the only one to mention Miracle Grow! I've read about, and watched videos on using salt+ammonia to add a "patina" to brass but I agree, that seems too aggressive for what I'm after.
I mentioned Miracle Grow just because that is hat I had on hand and I know it worked. No damage to the metal. It only took a few minutes so it wasn't in it for long. I know straight ammonia works (heck I read that old timers just used urine) but may take longer. I think the salt just accelerates the process.

I've read about using the spring punch handle, but I hadnt seen any pics of a finished razor with one. I like it...
Looks nice

image_63-jpg.411884

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I mentioned Miracle Grow just because that is hat I had on hand and I know it worked. No damage to the metal. It only took a few minutes so it wasn't in it for long. I know straight ammonia works (heck I read that old timers just used urine) but may take longer. I think the salt just accelerates the process.

I might have some laying around. If I do I'll try a test sample.

I agree, the spring punch handle does look good. I'll pick one up the next time I walk past one in a store.

So much info and help on this forum, it's fantastic!

I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this but if you cut the head off a 2 or so inch 10-32 bolt and chuck it in a drill you can spin your handle really fast for polishing or other tasks. Once I found out that Neverdull wadding removes gold plating on another razor light bulbs went off in my head. I put Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish on a tooth brush and stripped a bar handle in less than 60 seconds (using the drill method). Plus an added bonus was it was mirror polished as soon as I touched it with a cotton rag while it was spinning. A Dremel takes care of the head in the same way. You could polish that center punch up in just a few seconds to mirror finish and then plate it and it would be a perfect adjustable razor handle.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this but if you cut the head off a 2 or so inch 10-32 bolt and chuck it in a drill you can spin your handle really fast for polishing or other tasks. Once I found out that Neverdull wadding removes gold plating on another razor light bulbs went off in my head. I put Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish on a tooth brush and stripped a bar handle in less than 60 seconds (using the drill method). Plus an added bonus was it was mirror polished as soon as I touched it with a cotton rag while it was spinning. A Dremel takes care of the head in the same way. You could polish that center punch up in just a few seconds to mirror finish and then plate it and it would be a perfect adjustable razor handle.

Dremel also has a small wheel type attachment meant for polishing and with a bit of work, it would fit between the teeth of my NEW OC.

I have a polishing station set up in my garage with cotton wheels and red, green and white bars of jewelers rouge. Mostly I've only worked on stainless. I can get small parts to a mirror shine in minutes. Brass is even easier to work with.

Ammonia will add patina to brass. If you have some Miracle Grow, water it down and apply to bare brass. The results happen real fast. I think Miracle Grow has salts that accelerate the process so keep it quick and rinse thoroughly (salt isn't good for the brass if left on a long time)
This sounds strange but I have a friend with something "toxic" in his skin/sweat. He can hold a brass object in his hands, rubbing it gently, and after awhile it will be tarnished. Sometimes it's a matter of an hour other times it takes several "applications." So, check amongst your friends - and be sure to try it yourself. I don't have the "power" of my friend but have obtained reasonable results by applying sweat - as in after cutting the grass, etc. - and rubbing it well onto the brass. Takes a few applications. Be careful, however, your wife on witnessing this procedure may decide that it provides convincing evidence that you've lost your mind.

Hugh

Ammonia needs to be avoided, it will cause stress cracks!

Ok so the vinegar thing didn't work all all for me on this little handle. It may have been chrome on there. There wasn't much left obviously from my first picture in this thread. I just wire wheeled it off and polished it.

Here is a couple comparison pictures. Oh and I already made a center punch handle so I put it in the pic too.

With a NEW Short Comb head the center punch razor weighs 2.6oz and is 4 inches long on the button. Which is awesome because that is exactly how long the barberpole Merkurs are that I like. I can't get my hands on a 12C so this will do for now. In a way it's actually better than a 12C if they are as tame as everyone says.

The bar handled NEW is just a bit short of what length I like so you can see how tiny the little handle is on the Old Head. However the brass top cap and solid brass handle on the Old maker it exactly the same weight as the bar handle at 1.8oz each. The NEW with so much copper on the handle is quite head heavy and the Old with solid brass is very handle heavy. Neither balances where I like but the bar handle is closer.20170527_113500.jpg 20170527_113757.jpg 20170527_113804.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Hard boiled egg's in a zip lock bag also works in the same way as Liver of Sulfur apparently, but takes much longer. It's all in the fumes I guess.

I've also read about ammonia weakening brass and causing premature failure but from what I gather thats mainly in thin walled tubing. There are threads in this forum someplace where it was mentioned that may be one reason why some Gillette ball end handles have cracked over the years, from cleaning with ammonia based solvent type cleaners.

Esox: That is interesting about quickly aging a brass surface. I know that some guys who are knife addicts like to patina their carbon steel blades. Again though, not my thing. I like my blades either good quality stainless or if they are 1095 I prefer a coating for protection. The only knifes I let slide are some cheap Scandi Grinds (Condor / Mora...). Not to continue so far off topic but an old timer I bought a couple bowies from once told me that a Tomato based paste like ketchup / red sauce, or lemon juice would stain carbon steel in a patina fashion. I wonder if that might work for brass or copper?

Actually lemon juice removed patina from brass. When I am refurbishing old iron planes, I put the brass bits in salt and lemon juice for a bit, then polish them up. They look dull coming out of the solution. However they polish up nicely.

Yeah I just saw a video on you tube showing that Ketchup will polish rifle brass. Shows you how much I know about ways to patina brass...

Top Bottom