What's new

Project Old Type

Anyone that wants to pay the freight can have the handle for free. I will keep poking around until I find a replacement handle from a buggered up Old Type that has bent teeth or something.

Anyone that wants to pay the freight can have the handle for free. I will keep poking around until I find a replacement handle from a buggered up Old Type that has bent teeth or something.

Participation in the community at Badger and Blade is a requirement to post an item for sale or trade. Sellers/traders must be members of B&B for at least 45 days and have contributed a minimum of 50 quality posts on this site in order to post in the forum.

Just wait and trade it in the BST! :thumbsup:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It took almost 100 years to get that patina. I'm trying to learn how to add a similar patina to a new brass razor like what you already have lol.

To each his own I guess. I don't consider that a patina per say. It is green tarnish on bare brass. The plating is only left in a few spots. I have huge hands and prefer larger handles on razors. Think Merkur 12C / 38C / 39C barberpole handled razors. I also prefer heavier razors over lighter ones. I'm not saying that for some guys the smaller handle might not be just right. However, I am aware even some guys with large hands like the control of a small to mid sized handle, it's just not for me.

There is no vintage open comb Gillette that has a handle size I really like, but for the vintage razors it is more important to me to keep them original. I can get a good shave with almost any razor, regardless of the handle length or weight. I am a restoration nut... on anything old. They don't make anything like they used to and I hate seeing things get thrown away so given those reasons and the fact I like tinkering, I get sucked into all kinds of restoration projects.... tractors and roto-tillers, cast iron cookware, Coleman camping items, cars, you name it. If it was made in the USA and built like a tank then chances are I am a fan of it.

If someone started making cast iron clothes hangers... I would buy them.

l.jpg

I don't think these are for hanging clothes, probably some kind of hoist, but they would work. :001_rolle

j.jpg

m.jpg

To each his own I guess. I don't consider that a patina per say. It is green tarnish on bare brass. The plating is only left in a few spots. I have huge hands and prefer larger handles on razors. Think Merkur 12C / 38C / 39C barberpole handled razors. I also prefer heavier razors over lighter ones. I'm not saying that for some guys the smaller handle might not be just right. However, I am aware even some guys with large hands like the control of a small to mid sized handle, it's just not for me.

There is no vintage open comb Gillette that has a handle size I really like, but for the vintage razors it is more important to me to keep them original. I can get a good shave with almost any razor, regardless of the handle length or weight. I am a restoration nut... on anything old. They don't make anything like they used to and I hate seeing things get thrown away so given those reasons and the fact I like tinkering, I get sucked into all kinds of restoration projects.... tractors and roto-tillers, cast iron cookware, Coleman camping items, cars, you name it. If it was made in the USA and built like a tank then chances are I am a fan of it.

Hey nothing wrong with preserving history. Good on ya'.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Dont get me started on cars lol.

I agree the green would have to go, but I personally love the patina on the head and thats the sort of finish I'm researching now to somehow apply on raw brass when my new handle does get here. If Amazon ever decides to ship it, and I can remove the chrome from it!

I'll add a pic of what I have in mind I found on Google. You may like the handle as well and it took me a couple days tracking one down for a reasonable price. I prefer a longer handle too and the one I've ordered is 4".

SabiNew.jpg

I didn't realize you were referring to the razors head. I think that may be an optical illusion though. There was some gouging on the top piece and I actually lightly sanded it to get those out. Also there was one bent tooth that I successfully straightened. Straightening it left a very light mark from the miniature pliers I used so I also lightly sanded the edges there too. There is only a light plating of nickel left on the head in the areas where I didn't brush it with sand paper.

My line of work keeps me in contact with brass all day long (no... not brass for firearms but I do reload and have tons of new and aged rifle / pistol brass as well) and I can tell you that the best way to achieve a patina on brass is condensation and lots of time without being handled in between. I have never tried to artificially age brass because I would prefer the brass I deal with be nice and new and shiny looking, but I can tell you that it is possible to achieve at least a mild patina in around 2 years if you are that patient. For me if I get that result at work it is unintentional though.

Even the oil / salts from your skin will help speed up the patina process, but you have to avoid handling the brass for long periods of time or you will in a way "polish" it and make the process take longer. I have some items that I ordered in for re-sale about 9 years ago that still look very new with no tarnish and only a little darkening, but I have barely touched them in all that time. Other items have sat in extreme cold conditions during the winter where they will become wet from condensation and if not disturbed, they look 50 years old in only 2 winters.

Who knows? I personally like to refinish stuff and make it look new again. I have zero experience making stuff age quicker. Except for having kids... grey hairs seemed to just pop out of nowhere after that...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
From what I've read, the teeth on OC razors break off very easily so you did well straightening it.

I agree there is a certain satisfaction in restoring anything old and preserving it. My second post on this forum was in regards to whether or not I should even use a razor I have.

A few questions and some advice for a new member.

I have used it and while I do enjoy the shave I get with it, like you, the handle doesnt agree with me. It's too thin and too short and being a three piece handle, caused me a few issues because I couldnt get the handle tight enough on the head to hold the blade as secure and as rigid as it needs to be for a nice shave. I did glue it together so I could tighten it down just that touch more, but being in such nice condition I didnt make that a permanent fix. Someone on this forum has graciously said he would PIF me a NEW SC head so I'll be using it instead of my LC and I'm curious about the rigidity between them both.

My Gillette Rocket I really like, as mild as it is, but the handle on it is short as well and I personally find it a bit awkward to use. I guess I hold a razor differently than many people. I'm not sure you'll find an old Gillette handle of the type you're thinking of. I think, the longest of the Gillette OLD type handles would be either the Single Ring or the Bell End, but I havent been able to find the dimensions for either one.

From what I understand it is possible to quickly, in a matter seconds, to hours and days, create an aged patina, and even impart colours to many metals. Brass, copper and lead being the easiest. I talked to a friend yesterday that does stained glass work and he has several liquid chemical compositions that for example, make lead appear to be copper. Brass and copper if done correctly can apparently even be made to appear bright blue! I'll be taking a piece of raw clean brass over shortly to do some testing on.

I've done a lot of reloading too, handgun, rifle and shotgun. For $9 per reload of my .338 Lapua Magnum at the time, I always made sure to take care of that brass!

It took almost 100 years to get that patina. I'm trying to learn how to add a similar patina to a new brass razor like what you already have lol.
Ammonia will add patina to brass. If you have some Miracle Grow, water it down and apply to bare brass. The results happen real fast. I think Miracle Grow has salts that accelerate the process so keep it quick and rinse thoroughly (salt isn't good for the brass if left on a long time)

Mlee: It's not that I don't like the razors. I just like longer handles.

Esox: That is interesting about quickly aging a brass surface. I know that some guys who are knife addicts like to patina their carbon steel blades. Again though, not my thing. I like my blades either good quality stainless or if they are 1095 I prefer a coating for protection. The only knifes I let slide are some cheap Scandi Grinds (Condor / Mora...). Not to continue so far off topic but an old timer I bought a couple bowies from once told me that a Tomato based paste like ketchup / red sauce, or lemon juice would stain carbon steel in a patina fashion. I wonder if that might work for brass or copper?

As for the old type, I am sure I will find another someday with a bent tooth and fail on the attempt to straighten it (I have heard they are fragile too). When that happens then I will have a donor handle.

I think I will use they short handle it came with to test stripping nickle from brass by boiling in 50/50 vinigar water for an hour. I read that on here a while ago. If that works then I will use it again to test a DIY replate. I have a NEW Type SC and a Micromatic that are stripped and polished that I want to plate in nickel. I will post the results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom