What's new

Project Old Type

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The same cold bluing process they use for rifle barrels and actions also works on brass and from the video I watched it gives it an interesting colour. Almost a translucent midnight blue, but it seems it may be difficult to make even.

There is no vintage open comb Gillette that has a handle size I really like, but for the vintage razors it is more important to me to keep them original.
Have you ever looked at the Gillette Big Boy/Big Fellow razors? They are long handled versions of the Old Type, New Improved and NEW Deluxe. The handle is about 4" long, about 13mm thick with very positive knurling, and heavier than the standard approx 3" handles. Not cheap in great condition, but ugly duckings do appear at normal prices.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Have you ever looked at the Gillette Big Boy/Big Fellow razors? They are long handled versions of the Old Type, New Improved and NEW Deluxe. The handle is about 4" long, about 13mm thick with very positive knurling, and heavier than the standard approx 3" handles. Not cheap in great condition, but ugly duckings do appear at normal prices.

I hadnt heard of the Big Boy or Big Fellow before. Thanks for mentioning them.

Big Fellow Big Boy Parade

I had never heard of those either. Looked for them at all the common places. If I ever come across one at a decent price I will buy it for sure.

I’m new to this so please forgive me if I’m not doing this correctly but my question is this I had a custom maker make me a blade and it’s very dark so I asked him what he used to darken it as I use my blades on fruit and veggies while camping and he said muratic acid which he said he washes off...he offered to remake it if I’m too scared but said all his personal knives are done this way and he used them in the kitchen..isvit safe or should he remake it....

Top Bottom