What's new

Proinsias! Thou PM's Be Fulleth

"Thy PMs runneth over" might sound more Elizabethan, if that is what you're after (beyond Proinsias and his coticule hoof avatar).

Edit: But who am I to complain? Maybe old English was closer to Swedish than modern (including Elizabethan) English is.

Last edited:
Oh, that is so Proinsias.

Actually, this is the first I've heard of him, and this vodka is inhibiting my ability to figure out how to pronounce his name. I'll keep trying, by god!

Proinsias, an almost mystical creature, rarely seen or heard from...how appropriate that his lair is full of messages from us mortals beseeching his counsel.

Yea, verily. Howsoever, me thinketh that thou dost need some guidance in the nuanced art of Jacobean English. "Thy PM's overfloweth" may be more apt. And, forsooth, it is impossible to "bother ye all" because "ye" referreth unto the singular; even in period expression, "you" is plural!

Notwithstanding, it is good to see some attempt at high culture on B & B!!! :thumbup:

Yea, verily. Howsoever, me thinketh that thou dost need some guidance in the nuanced art of Jacobean English. "Thy PM's overfloweth" may be more apt. And, forsooth, it is impossible to "bother ye all" because "ye" referreth unto the singular; even in period expression, "you" is plural!

Notwithstanding, it is good to see some attempt at high culture on B & B!!! :thumbup:

Bravo!

To all of the cAmerican people. And the Brits. I'm sorry for dragging your fine language thru the dirt.
It was not intentional.
I'm a big fan of E.A Poe & recently got hold of a reaaaally old copy of his works. The language really was wonderful, but I didn't understand half of it
If I hadn't read his work ummphteen times before in modern English & Swedish I had been lost.
And still I thought I could pull of some Jacobian...

I struggle as is with modern English. Strangely enough the English education in Swedish school focus very little or often nothing at all on the really important words.
Straight razor, BBS, J-nat, shaving cream & scratch-pattern are all totally ignored by the teacher.

Anyhow, to end this on a positive note, I have gotten hold of the fine gentleman Proinsias & we have had a very good conversation.
I won't claim that we solved world hunger, but not far from it...

To all of the cAmerican people. And the Brits. I'm sorry for dragging your fine language thru the dirt.
It was not intentional.
I'm a big fan of E.A Poe & recently got hold of a reaaaally old copy of his works. The language really was wonderful, but I didn't understand half of it
If I hadn't read his work ummphteen times before in modern English & Swedish I had been lost.
And still I thought I could pull of some Jacobian...

I struggle as is with modern English. Strangely enough the English education in Swedish school focus very little or often nothing at all on the really important words.
Straight razor, BBS, J-nat, shaving cream & scratch-pattern are all totally ignored by the teacher.

Anyhow, to end this on a positive note, I have gotten hold of the fine gentleman Proinsias & we have had a very good conversation.
I won't claim that we solved world hunger, but not far from it...

Dear honed: no need to apologize, I think we were just poking a little fun--at our own language as well. Your English is perfectly understandable, and your knowledge and experience are most appreciated. I have had to learn French as a second language in adulthood, which has been difficult, so I know what expressing oneself in another language can be like. If you're into this kind of thing, one book I read several years ago and found very interesting was The English Language, by Robert Burchfield. It deals with the evolution of Modern English, among other things, and is an enjoyable read. As I recall, the evolution of the King James Bible (or Authorized Version) and the various editions of the Anglican Book of Common Prayer (two foundational sources of Modern English) was discussed quite a bit there, along with various issues of orthographical development, usage, and so forth. It's out of print now, but a used copy could probably be had very cheaply from a UK site.

Last edited:
Years spent trying to get Seraphim's attention... this is crushing news

Well, jeesh. I tried sending you a PM a couple of years back, but your mailbox was full, and I don't know how to speak all fancy like Honed does to let you know to clear it out, so I just left well enough alone.:001_cool:

Top Bottom