What's new

bevel face?

does the width of the bevel face being equal on both sides matter? im wondering causeon a razor i had that wasn honing i looked and say the bevel width on one side was considerably smaller and i fixed it now its honing. now im noticing it every time i look at one of my razors and its bothering me cause i have this feeling thta i can get a better shave out of my razor if it does matter. ill end up fixing them all anyways as even if it didnt i would have a part of me that would think it does]

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I used to think it was me doing something wrong, but it seems more to do with the geometry of the razor and sometimes who had it before I did. I have razors with uneven width bevels, but if the bevel is set all along the edge and shaves well I don’t think about it much anymore.

If uneven bevel face widths were caused by creating two different bevel angles, you will probably notice the edge not cutting as well as it should.
Doing 1/2 strokes, without a count, and using irregular levels of pressure can cause this. The spine wear might mirror the wear pattern. Can happen when using a regular stroke pattern too; more pressure during one half of the pass will build up wear on one side over time.

If the width of the faces are different because the hollow grind isn't even, that doesn't matter so much usually.

'Fixing' it when it wasn't broke will throw the geometry off so it's best to know for sure what's what before making anything 'even'.
Lotta razors been jacked up by guys trying to make things visually symmetrical.

Top Bottom