What's new

Professor Flanders's Journal of Nerdy Observations and silly camaraderie

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
I have a sense that I'll be spending considerable time in this thread. Of particular currency, is this concept of where on the "apparently appropriate lather density spectrum" I'll land holds quite a bit of interest.
And you are more than welcome, I am afraid my side of the obligation is going to get over taxed in short order though! I have been reading your recent posts on this and will chime in if I think I have something useful to say otherwise I will leave you to experiment. I may use you to make comments here if I think they are too much for the thread. Fail at your own peril! :devil:

I've been noticing that I build considerably different lather with the two apparently similar knots.

I'm inspired (driven?) to better calibrate my initial brush moistening based on your observations.
Are they though? Muhle STF uses fibres of apparently seven different types, I am pretty sure the Synbad is a classic taped fibre of some type. As far as I have read, the various knots in this family have more or less the same softness(probably tip width), but vary the diameter of the fibre to produce more or less backbone. In other words the knots are about fine tuning the feel, but the STF knots are high performance first in my opinion(and still feel great). I warned everybody that I was going to write unedited in this thread!

Regardless of the technical reason, by your own admission they produce different lather. That is your uncontrolled variable, they may not be able to produce the same lather. I will repeat my no scale needed suggestion that I made elsewhere; cup a small amount of water in your palm and palm lather it into the knot. The slight flinging action of the fibres should help displace excess water, but not starting with too much is crucial(keeping it out of the base of the knot). It's still not precise, but you can see the water wick out as you push the brush and agitate. The worst that can happen is you have to dribble a little extra water on your puck, you will see it drying too fast and your brush will obviously not be fully loaded. Yeah, there are as many ways as there are people on this forum.

If you want to get a bit nerdy, you can prep your brush however and then place it on the scale and zero it. Once you have loaded your soap, you can put it back on and check how much you have loaded(as long as you don't leave any water on the puck). It's pretty accurate and if you have underloaded it tells the tale! I have and the result is near instant foam at even the slightest water addition. The traditional advice is load 1g more or less, that is definitely soap dependent. The Haslinger is pretty foolproof, but you don't need more than half that because it's a hard soap. If you can figure out how much you are loading and what the correct amount looks like, you won't need the scale then and can experiment with how much water you want to add.

Although the explanation has been given, I want to thank you for venturing into the weeds as we might say. I know where you are from and assume that English isn't your first language and also know that non standard use of any language is the one thing that will trip anybody up. I hope that you don't feel too bad about this little easter egg I inserted, as we might say! Thanks for stopping by.
You're right. I write in Russian with the help of a translator. And, of course, I don't always understand the meaning of what is written on this forum. But, nevertheless, I learned a lot of useful things for myself. Thank you for accepting me into your company.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
You're right. I write in Russian with the help of a translator. And, of course, I don't always understand the meaning of what is written on this forum. But, nevertheless, I learned a lot of useful things for myself. Thank you for accepting me into your company.
В наши дни переводчики превосходны. Я и не подозревал, что английский не является для тебя вторым языком. Добро пожаловать в любое время, и я постараюсь, чтобы мои сообщения было легко переводить.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hmm, what is there to say in this first post? By now most people on here have come across a few of my posts that unnecessarily clutter up threads with obscure thoughts and measurements. All that was left to do is was create my own place to put these thoughts, Big Nurse said I could if I take my meds! :letterk1:

BOSC Science

(And discussions that get too far off track to post on a main thread)

WOW, you started a journal, I had no idea! Good thing that Eric said something about it in his coffee post, or I wouldn't have known, since you didn't tell me lol. Yes, I've come across lots of your posts, a combination of informative posts, and silly posts, just the way I like it. I also clicked on that WATCH button, but I also know just posting in here turns that on, but just had to be sure hehe.

Yeah, I don't have a journal because I don't have enough daily thoughts for one. If I started a journal, it would just play out like my shaving supply thread, which is why I don't start one lol. But I hope that your journal goes well for you, looks like I already have a lot of posts in here to ready already, thats a lot of posts after one day lol.

Ok then...Whereas I have enjoyed your various postings I see some stuff that might just sail⛵ right past me. Because I'm just not that detailed. I observe, I record and I forget. :laugh:
What I do...is soak any of my brushes (boar and Synths) for a few minutes, shake the excess water or what you call it out, and then build my lather in a bowl (soft/cream soap) or in a mug that's holding a hard soap. I can control my lather this way by the length of time I swirl the brush in the bowl/on the soap and it gives me an extra moment or two to reflect on things and my day. So far I haven't had any issues with density (except my own mental version) etc. That may change with different soaps I suppose. For instance I know my boars do not (yet) bowl lather as well as my synths do. But they are getting better.
Anyway, I think it's great you're doing a journal and I am looking forward to reading about your observations and musings. Cheers

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
WOW, you started a journal, I had no idea! Good thing that Eric said something about it in his coffee post, or I wouldn't have known, since you didn't tell me lol. Yes, I've come across lots of your posts, a combination of informative posts, and silly posts, just the way I like it. I also clicked on that WATCH button, but I also know just posting in here turns that on, but just had to be sure hehe.

Yeah, I don't have a journal because I don't have enough daily thoughts for one. If I started a journal, it would just play out like my shaving supply thread, which is why I don't start one lol. But I hope that your journal goes well for you, looks like I already have a lot of posts in here to ready already, thats a lot of posts after one day lol.
Sorry about that, Big Nurse said we ran out money in the promotional budget after I spent in on lab equipment! :letterk1:
(hat tip to Eric for handling that, though I wasn't expecting to fill the auditorium)

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
What I do...is soak any of my brushes (boar and Synths) for a few minutes, shake the excess water or what you call it out, and then build my lather in a bowl
You know I am glad you brought this up because it's a perfect example of how I take something simple and over do it and then keep over doing it ad infinitum. I swore off face lathering for two years as I couldn't get even close to bowl lathering. Now I look at it as it's own thing like the A1 knot is, neither better or worse(but actually better). It has been an ongoing project this year and if I were to perfect it, I would have to move onto something else...

Anyway, I think it's great you're doing a journal and I am looking forward to reading about your observations and musings. Cheers
Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully there will be a mix of long winded posts and shorter replies because I don't have the energy for a daily wall-o-text. :lol:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Troll hugs above ☝️
Be thankful you're not a dwarf or a hobbit. You might be on the dinner menu.

actor-trolls-the-hobbit-302173_large.jpeg

And you are more than welcome, I am afraid my side of the obligation is going to get over taxed in short order though! I have been reading your recent posts on this and will chime in if I think I have something useful to say otherwise I will leave you to experiment. I may use you to make comments here if I think they are too much for the thread. Fail at your own peril! :devil:

Are they though? Muhle STF uses fibres of apparently seven different types, I am pretty sure the Synbad is a classic taped fibre of some type. As far as I have read, the various knots in this family have more or less the same softness(probably tip width), but vary the diameter of the fibre to produce more or less backbone. In other words the knots are about fine tuning the feel, but the STF knots are high performance first in my opinion(and still feel great). I warned everybody that I was going to write unedited in this thread!

Regardless of the technical reason, by your own admission they produce different lather. That is your uncontrolled variable, they may not be able to produce the same lather. I will repeat my no scale needed suggestion that I made elsewhere; cup a small amount of water in your palm and palm lather it into the knot. The slight flinging action of the fibres should help displace excess water, but not starting with too much is crucial(keeping it out of the base of the knot). It's still not precise, but you can see the water wick out as you push the brush and agitate. The worst that can happen is you have to dribble a little extra water on your puck, you will see it drying too fast and your brush will obviously not be fully loaded. Yeah, there are as many ways as there are people on this forum.

If you want to get a bit nerdy, you can prep your brush however and then place it on the scale and zero it. Once you have loaded your soap, you can put it back on and check how much you have loaded(as long as you don't leave any water on the puck). It's pretty accurate and if you have underloaded it tells the tale! I have and the result is near instant foam at even the slightest water addition. The traditional advice is load 1g more or less, that is definitely soap dependent. The Haslinger is pretty foolproof, but you don't need more than half that because it's a hard soap. If you can figure out how much you are loading and what the correct amount looks like, you won't need the scale then and can experiment with how much water you want to add.
I got to thinking about the tasty gems you posted in the BORG (Gamechanger) thread, along with many of my comments/observations/questions that are lost on those who have no interest in these razors. These "Brotherhood" threads seem to be as much about glamour shots of gear as they are about informative content. I have nothing against still life photography done well, but it's the content that I'm after ;-)

I pondered starting my own journal, but this in itself has the potential of more dilution - better that someone with more "reach" and experience does this.

Well, you took the bait and started your journal :cornut: This will likely become my morning read.

Regarding the numbers game, I'm reminded of a human performance and longevity doctor whose YouTube channel that I frequent: Dr. Peter Atilla ("The Drive"). He was interviewing Inigo San Milan who lives here in Colorado. Inigo uses world class athletes as one set of data to study longevity. San Milan trains Tadej Pogačar (two time Tour de France Winner).

Peter asked Inigo if he takes blood lactate readings after his own workouts. Inigo said "nah, I do too much of that during my day job. I just ride my bike".

I feel the same way about this. Much as I enjoy the data, I do too much of this in my day job, so I'll leave that to you :devil:

I likely won't get to the point of weighing my soap and water. The concept is useful, and after reading your missive, I did what I had been pondering for a couple of days. I took my "decommissioned" lathering bowl and added water to about 1/2" depth - for dipping my brush.

Amazingly (with my STF), dipping the tips seems to suffice. Oh my ... I can see myself weighing (to compare a full saturation plus multiple shakes against a "dip"). So, in the course of 2 paragraphs, I've already flip-flopped :eek:

... Thom

These "Brotherhood" threads seem to be as much about glamour shots of gear as they are about informative content. I have nothing against still life photography done well, but it's the content that I'm after ;-)
IKR? I feel like the Henson thread has had a good mix of discussion and SotD pics, but others seem to be much more pics than info. And I don’t know, maybe that’s what they’re supposed to be. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I pondered starting my own journal, but this in itself has the potential of more dilution - better that someone with more "reach" and experience does this.

Well, you took the bait and started your journal :cornut: This will likely become my morning read.
No pressure, @APBinNCA! :devil:

Top Bottom