What's new

Problems with Mitchell’s Wool Fat

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I sincerely hope not. I’m honestly stunned on how over-analyzed this soap is. I love MWF, but I just can‘t get over how many threads there are about MWF’s weak lather. I see members trying everything from testing their water, lathering for exactly 12 minutes and 38 seconds, while the outdoor temperature is exactly 78 degrees with a north wind, lathering counter clock wise while doing a hand stand.

Coming from your every day average joe, who runs his badger, boar or synthetic under the tap for a couple of seconds, with an un-soaked, hopefully not fake puck of MWF. I spend a few seconds swirling my brush around on the puck...and get the same great lather without incident.

I’m going to come out and say it. The soap is not the issue.

(Don’t hate me.)
I know what you mean; I have never had a problem with MWF or any other soap. I have never soaked overnight or bloomed soap other than to lightly moisten the top before use. I often leave MWF weeks between uses so it is bone dry when I use it and a few swirls with a damp brush and it is lathering like a champ again. The same with Tabac, Cella, and any others. I assumed that I am just lucky living in a soft water area which seems to make a difference. I confess I am not at all fussy about the lather and have zero interest in the bubble-free yogurt style lather that you see in some SOTD images. As long as I can shave with it then I am not too bothered. Maybe that is the secret - have very low expectations and be very easily pleased 😂

Top Bottom