What's new

Problems shaving my neck

Hello everyone,

My name is Manos and I come from Greece. I started wet shaving around 4 weeks ago, because I experienced a lot of irritation on the neck area when using cartridge razors. So I purchased a Merkur 34c a variety of blades, a "generic" (if I may call it) Omega 80080 boar brush and a D.R. Harris Sandalwood soap. I noticed which way my hair grow and shaved for the first time with the grain. I should note here, that shaving my neck has always been quite challenging, because my neck hair grow in literally every direction. So I did the best job I could, always concentrating on the right technique (blade angle, slow movement of the razor, etc.) The first shave was less than satisfactory, which was to be expected. I experienced a lot of irritation on my neck (not on the cheeks though), but no cuts. I used a Derby blade, because I heard they are really smooth. Anyway the following day I reused the same blade and the result was the same as day 1. Since then, I purchased a Proraso preshave creme and an aftershave balm, I used the Voskhod and the green 7 o'clock blades, a plusher SOC 2 band badger brush, and a lemon and lime TOBS creme, but the irritation on the neck will just not go away whatever combination of products I use. The rest of the shave is close and enjoyable, but my stupid neck keeps on getting irritated. Do you guys have any suggestions or tips?

Thank you so much in advance for any input on my problem.

Manos

Hi manos make sure you prep your skin thoroughly I usually shave after a shower and a face wash next you could consider a pre shave such as proraso white, make a nice slick shaving cream or soap lather and apply generously, also make sure you use a good blade and see if its lined up correctly within your razor, take short strokes and stretch your skin on more difficult places such as the neckline don't over do by going over the same spot to many times 1st pass with the grain 2th against the grain and if needed a little clean up afterwards, rinse first warm then cold water, I also suggest to use a mild aftershave balm for sensitive skin to sooth your skin, hope this helps

I would also recommend doing one fewer pass on your neck. Two passes max. If your face is smooth, no one really notices the neck. Better a little stubble than a lot of redness.

Hi manos make sure you prep your skin thoroughly I usually shave after a shower and a face wash next you could consider a pre shave such as proraso white, make a nice slick shaving cream or soap lather and apply generously, also make sure you use a good blade and see if its lined up correctly within your razor, take short strokes and stretch your skin on more difficult places such as the neckline don't over do by going over the same spot to many times 1st pass with the grain 2th against the grain and if needed a little clean up afterwards, rinse first warm then cold water, I also suggest to use a mild aftershave balm for sensitive skin to sooth your skin, hope this helps
Hi Peter,

I have already purchased the proraso preshave creme for sensitive skin and the proraso aftershave balm. Although they have made some difference in razor feel and overall hydration of my skin, the irritation persists. Thank you for your advice. I will try and apply what you recommended.

I would also recommend doing one fewer pass on your neck. Two passes max. If your face is smooth, no one really notices the neck. Better a little stubble than a lot of redness.
After my second shave, I understood that the irritation might be due to the second pass, so I only do one pass under the jawline. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

First of all, I strongly recommend reading this thread:

Pay attention to razor angle and floating technique in the thread.

In addition, some quick wins:

1) Try experimenting with the razor angle. For some people "riding the cap" can make a massive difference when shaving the neck.
2) Leave your preshave on for 2-3 minutes and shower before shaving.
3) When you are finished shaving do this:

- take a flannel and soak it in hot water (As hot as you can take it comfortably). Wrap it around your face. This should lift off any residue product.
- now take the flannel and soak it cold water until it is really cold. Repeat the wrapping process. This should calm the skin down and close up the pores.

After my second shave, I understood that the irritation might be due to the second pass, so I only do one pass under the jawline. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.
Also check out some different blades the wrong blade for your skin can cause serious irritation, best option so far for me are the Polsilver's super irridium.

Hi Manos. You mention slow movement of the razor, but I find that faster but still light strokes work best for me. It's easier to keep the blade at the correct angle, and it just seems to slip over the skin with more ease, hence providing less chance of irritation. It might work for you, although then again it might not.

First of all, I strongly recommend reading this thread:

Pay attention to razor angle and floating technique in the thread.

In addition, some quick wins:

1) Try experimenting with the razor angle. For some people "riding the cap" can make a massive difference when shaving the neck.
2) Leave your preshave on for 2-3 minutes and shower before shaving.
3) When you are finished shaving do this:

- take a flannel and soak it in hot water (As hot as you can take it comfortably). Wrap it around your face. This should lift off any residue product.
- now take the flannel and soak it cold water until it is really cold. Repeat the wrapping process. This should calm the skin down and close up the pores.
Thank you so much for directing me to that tutorial. I have now a much better understanding of the mechanics of wet shaving. I looked around and found many informational posts here in B&B ,but that was really helpfull. I will also try the flannel technique as well. I appreciate the help.

Hi Manos. You mention slow movement of the razor, but I find that faster but still light strokes work best for me. It's easier to keep the blade at the correct angle, and it just seems to slip over the skin with more ease, hence providing less chance of irritation. It might work for you, although then again it might not.
Hello! Slow, short strokes seem a bit safer to me, but I will try bringing the speed up a notch, once I feel more confident. Thank you for your help.

I also have have the problem with hair growth in every direction on my neck. I am fortunate that my skin is not particularly sensitive. Under the jawline I usually shave one pass bottom to top, then one pass top to bottom.

Then, if I want a very close shave, I do a clean up pass where I make several very short, very light strokes at angles from every direction on the swirliest spot on my neck. That is where I can overdo it and irritate my skin, especially if I have an older blade in my razor.

I think you are doing the right thing sticking to a single neck pass until you and your skin are more comfortable with DE shaving. You will develop a very light and easy technique as you get more experience. You may benefit from taking a day or two off from shaving, at least on your neck, when you can. You might try shaving in different directions on different days.

I didn't see whether you make lather on your face or in a bowl. When I don't shower before shaving I actually face-lather, lightly, three times in a row. I wash it off each time with hot water, then face lather again between each pass.

That is a lot of prep, but I get as easy a shave as if I had taken a shower. Plus I like the skin stimulation from the face lathering. It might even help in toughening my skin. I don't usually apply any pre-shave products, but I often use a glycerin soap (Col Conk here in the USA) for those first three quick lathers. The glycerin soap makes my face nice and slick. Then I pick whatever soap I will enjoy for my main lathering.

As far as the razor itself goes, I am sure the choice you have made is a good one. I personally like open comb razors. I think they usually stay lubricated a little better than safety bar razors. I also like very short and lightweight handles, which for me allow a very light touch and very quick and easy control of shaving angle.

The Merkur 15C is that type of mild OC razor that should be readily available in Greece. That said, I would just stick with the razor you have for a least a few months. Comfort and familiarity with the shaving kit you have will make the biggest difference. Trying different blades and soaps/balms/preshaves makes a lot more sense than changing razors.

I hope it all goes well! You have the right approach, getting advice, but experimenting to see what works best for you. Everything you have posted here makes me think you will get good results soon.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm betting you need a more rigid design. Give this thread a read:

Shimming a Merkur 34c Razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shimming-a-merkur-34c-razor.547476/#post-9731481

Pay attention to this post;

There are razors that support the blade fully making it very rigid, the 34C is not one of those razors. When you add a shim or more, you are stiffening up the cutting blade, especially if the shims are wide.

Prewar Tech + one Shim =...

If you cut one shim narrow and place it between the cap and blade, you will increase the blade gap making the razor more efficient.

There's a lot to read on the forum about rigid designs and blade rigidity. The problems you're experiencing may very well be from a lack of blade support that allows the blade to flex as you're shaving.

I had a similar problem myself which was completely eliminated and hasnt been a problem for me, at all, for almost three years now.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-new-lc-not-cutting-it.520246/

I also have very coarse and difficult to cut stubble combined with fairly sensitive skin. I now routinely shave directly ATG first pass at up to 100 hours growth.

Great suggestions above!

My summary:
1. Better prep, especially a warm towel.
2. Skin stretching.
3. Fewer passes.
4. Watch razor angle and avoid pressure!

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!! :clap: :clap:

First of all guys, I want to thank you all for your immediate replies and the interest you have shown for my problem. I am really impressed!
I always shower before my shaves, so I think that takes care the hydration part. But I will give the warm towels a go next time and see how it goes.
@Tanuki I prefer face lathering with the soaps and bowl lathering with cremes. Do you think I should face lather all the time? I make sure to always work the lather in my whiskers for at least one and a half to two minutes, but I guess the extra half a minute it would take to produce the creme's lather to my face couldn't hurt.
Furthermore,@Esox the thread about shimming my razor looks really interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to fully read it ,but I'll make sure I do soon. I like experimenting with my equipment AND having great shaves, so I could hit two birds with one stone with this one. Thank you for quoting this thread.
Lastly, I shaved yesterday and tried to not apply any pressure to my skin, while stretching it with my other hand. I thought the skin was stretched enough just by tilting my head upwards, but oh was I wrong... The experience was quite frightening, knowing that a slip could slice my neck, because of the limited skin cushioning. BUT, and this is a big one. The shave was by far the deepest and most irritation free shave I have ever had. Deeper than a cartridge razor. I was really impressed by that simple, yet really helpful tip you guys gave me. Of course there was still some irritation, but the result was the best I ever had. I believe if I continue working on my technique, the irritation will gradually subside.
Thank you all for your really helpful advice! I hope I will one day be able to repay the favour to you.

Well done. I’m glad the skin stretching has helped. Important to remember is to allows stretch in the dierection of the shaving stroke. Either behind or in front of the razor. Not to the side.

Three other thing me to consider.

1. It can be that the lather starts to dry out by the time you get to your neck. Before you start the neck, freshen up the lather. Apply some more lather or wet the tips of the brush and redistribute. Persisting with a dried out lather can cause problems.

2. I used to get some irritation and switched to bowl lathering. This is easier on your skin. Let the bowl take the brunt of the lather making and your skin will thank you.

3. I have found that some soaps irritate my skin just by having it on my face for too long. You may try getting a few samples of recommended brands from the Shavedash website and seeing if those work better for you.

Good luck.

Well done. I’m glad the skin stretching has helped. Important to remember is to allows stretch in the dierection of the shaving stroke. Either behind or in front of the razor. Not to the side.

Three other thing me to consider.

1. It can be that the lather starts to dry out by the time you get to your neck. Before you start the neck, freshen up the lather. Apply some more lather or wet the tips of the brush and redistribute. Persisting with a dried out lather can cause problems.

2. I used to get some irritation and switched to bowl lathering. This is easier on your skin. Let the bowl take the brunt of the lather making and your skin will thank you.

3. I have found that some soaps irritate my skin just by having it on my face for too long. You may try getting a few samples of recommended brands from the Shavedash website and seeing if those work better for you.

Good luck.
Oh I never thought about the direction of the stretch, but I understand the logic behind it. I will try that next time. Did you get irritation no matter what kind of brush you used? I absolutely love the feel of the badger brush when lathering, plus I have to admit I am a little scared to put it through this process in case it starts shedding... But I will try it with the cheaper boar brush I have. Should I just paint the lather to avoid irritation once I am done in the bowl?

Badger brushes are generally great. A few are prickly but you will know if you have one of those. Bowl lathering should not be any rougher on the brush so don’t worry about that. Painting strokes are the most gentle. It is all about reducing the amount of scrubbing time on sensitive areas.

You may also try adjusting the blade angle to a very flat angle known as rising the cap. I normally do this when going ATG.

It is also important to adjust the angle of the blade with the contours of your neck. Try to think of it like scooping out the hollow curved sections. You rotate the razor as if there were a pivot point in the handle for this approach. I find this to be very effective.

Lots of things to try.

Badger brushes are generally great. A few are prickly but you will know if you have one of those. Bowl lathering should not be any rougher on the brush so don’t worry about that. Painting strokes are the most gentle. It is all about reducing the amount of scrubbing time on sensitive areas.

You may also try adjusting the blade angle to a very flat angle known as rising the cap. I normally do this when going ATG.

It is also important to adjust the angle of the blade with the contours of your neck. Try to think of it like scooping out the hollow curved sections. You rotate the razor as if there were a pivot point in the handle for this approach. I find this to be very effective.

Lots of things to try.
Ok Tomo, I think I have a basic understanding. Again, thanks a lot!

Top Bottom