What's new

Problems shaving my neck

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
You mention slow movement of the razor, but I find that faster but still light strokes work best for me.
Sounds like the OP is making great progress, but I was thinking the same. Seems scary at first to go faster if you are new to it. I think the momentum generated makes the razor slice through the hair better. Go too slow and the hairs almost stop the razor.

I'm betting you need a more rigid design. Give this thread a read:
I would have agreed 100% but then I recently met the Muhle R41 after having used Schone/Fatip. The R41 is giving me the nicest shaves I've ever had. YMMV - big time.

Sounds like the OP is making great progress, but I was thinking the same. Seems scary at first to go faster if you are new to it. I think the momentum generated makes the razor slice through the hair. Go too slow and the hairs almost stop the razor.

I would have agreed 100% but then I recently met the Muhle R41 after having used Schone/Fatip. The R41 is giving me the nicest shaves I've ever had. YMMV - big time.
Hello Chandu.

I was thinking of trying to move the razor a bit faster on my next shave ,since the nice results on my last one gave me a bit of confidence. I will report back with the results. About the R41 I have heard both great and dissapointing reviews. I understand, that it is an aggresive razor though and not a good choice for a beginner. I will stay away from it for the time being, but it is on the bucketlist for sure!

Thanks for the input!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I was thinking of trying to move the razor a bit faster on my next shave ,since the nice results on my last one gave me a bit of confidence.
Don't go too fast, but just concentrate on a steady movement at first. Then as you gain skill you can increase it a bit more. Yes, the R41, get good with what you've got first, but later on, try one.

Happy shaves.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I can get a great shave from my R41 with a fresh Feather, as twisted as the base may be, but its a very slow and cautious shave that takes 5 times longer than with my Grande or MMOC.

You might try a Mk.1 Fatip, if you can find one. The original R41, if I remember right, was made by Fatip.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I can get a great shave from my R41 with a fresh Feather, as twisted as the base may be, but its a very slow and cautious shave that takes 5 times longer than with my Grande or MMOC.

You might try a Mk.1 Fatip, if you can find one. The original R41, if I remember right, was made by Fatip.
It must be our beards because I go as fast with the R41 as any other razor I own. I didn't the first couple of shaves. I'm still more mindful with it, but not any slower to get the end result. Even if I do go a bit slower on a few strokes, the fact that there is really nothing to buff after the two passes saves a bit of time. MMOC is on my list to try someday. I have a Gem Junior and like the efficiency, but it doesn't leave me as close as the R41.

I've only used a MedPrep so far in the R41.

Anyway the following day I reused the same blade and the result was the same as day 1. Since then, I purchased a Proraso preshave creme and an aftershave balm, I used the Voskhod and the green 7 o'clock blades, a plusher SOC 2 band badger brush, and a lemon and lime TOBS creme, but the irritation on the neck will just not go away whatever combination of products I use. The rest of the shave is close and enjoyable, but my stupid neck keeps on getting irritated. Do you guys have any suggestions or tips?
I have the same issue with my neck and the solution was sharper razor blades, bigger gap but zero pressure. The only pressure should come from the weight of the razor and it works amazingly well with my Merkur Progress when I start at setting 3.0

Normally I would think that milder razors and blades works better against sensitive skin but it was the opposite for me. At first you will get some cuts but as long as you are very careful you will notice that the razor cuts your hair easier if you let the razor go down in one gentle move.
I'm not saying it will work for you, but if you give it a long-term try, it may be the solution.
Try also with Gillette 7 o'clock (yellow).

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It must be our beards because I go as fast with the R41 as any other razor I own. I didn't the first couple of shaves. I'm still more mindful with it, but not any slower to get the end result. Even if I do go a bit slower on a few strokes, the fact that there is really nothing to buff after the two passes saves a bit of time. MMOC is on my list to try someday. I have a Gem Junior and like the efficiency, but it doesn't leave me as close as the R41.

I've only used a MedPrep so far in the R41.

I cant even shave in the same directions as I normally do. With a three pass shave, my second pass is S>N. ATG under my chin, face of my chin, sides of my mouth and cheeks. I can do that second pass easily with my Grande and any decent blade, Derby Extra included.

Using my R41 and a fresh Feather blade, I cant shave ATG until my third pass and I have to change the direction of my second pass to entirely XTG. Third pass is done ATG, and even then, a Feather blade on shave two will flex and bite me.

Using it with a Derby Extra, even WTG on my cheeks, the blade flexes and skips. But in my Grande, the same blade is great. Derby Extra are in my top 3 blades, but all of my razors are rigid designs.

Using my R41 first pass ATG is a virtual impossibility, but I do it with my Grande routinely for a 12 hour BBS. My GEM MMOC is twice as efficient as my Grande and my strokes are twice as long. With a fresh blade, first pass ATG, the BBS is ~18 hours. By shave 6 or 7, a 14 hour BBS is the norm.

R41, fresh Feather, three passes and a clean up or two gives me the same 12 hour BBS as a single ATG buffing pass with my Grande.

I have the same issue with my neck and the solution was sharper razor blades, bigger gap but zero pressure. The only pressure should come from the weight of the razor and it works amazingly well with my Merkur Progress when I start at setting 3.0

Normally I would think that milder razors and blades works better against sensitive skin but it was the opposite for me. At first you will get some cuts but as long as you are very careful you will notice that the razor cuts your hair easier if you let the razor go down in one gentle move.
I'm not saying it will work for you, but if you give it a long-term try, it may be the solution.
Try also with Gillette 7 o'clock (yellow).
Hello Harald.

I was thinking about trying a Feather blade, since I have the impression they are universally considered the sharpest blade out there. Your razor is also a bit more aggresive than mine I think. The thing is, I am getting quite good results with the Voskhods for the moment and as a wise man once told me, if it works don't mess with it. So I will try some Feathers and the Gillettes you proposed, once I am constantly getting good results.

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate your input.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My neck gives me trouble sometimes too. I really try to pay attention to the beard growth. I have several different growth patterns below my jawline. I have to change direction a bunch of times if I want to shave with the grain. A single pass and I move on. It’s not the closest shave, but it now is a comfortable one. I can feel when the blade catches, that’s when I stop and change directions. Nivea Men Sensitive balm seems to really soothe post shave for me. Good luck!

My neck gives me trouble sometimes too. I really try to pay attention to the beard growth. I have several different growth patterns below my jawline. I have to change direction a bunch of times if I want to shave with the grain. A single pass and I move on. It’s not the closest shave, but it now is a comfortable one. I can feel when the blade catches, that’s when I stop and change directions. Nivea Men Sensitive balm seems to really soothe post shave for me. Good luck!
Yes the changing hair growth patterns are really difficult to shave... One moment you are going with the grain and the next you are across or even against it. Paying attention at the audible feedback of the blade is a good way to tell when the growth pattern changes. Thank you for your input!

I’ve actually had the best results with my straight razor on my neck. Stretching the skin to avoid shaving directly over the Adams Apple Is also a good trick to deal with that trouble spot.

Top Bottom