What's new

Problem with Yellow Jackets

Seven dust works wonders in any entrance, and 5 gallon bucket full of water with a bunch of dish soap in it works great in the evening on ground nests. I believe the soap suffocates them by coating them. In any case, it works great!

After painting houses and barns for several years, those methods are my favorites.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Insane numbers of paper wasps and mud daubers this year ... painful stings.

Anyone else notice their numbers?

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We always have plentiful wasps and daubers, but the Yellow Jackets are more prolific this year. Since the beginning of this post, I got stung on my eyebrow and my eye became swollen shut, missed two days of work because of it. That bastard seemed to just come out of the blue, no other swarming YJs, no nest discovered.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We always have plentiful wasps and daubers, but the Yellow Jackets are more prolific this year. Since the beginning of this post, I got stung on my eyebrow and my eye became swollen shut, missed two days of work because of it. That bastard seemed to just come out of the blue, no other swarming YJs, no nest discovered.

I hear ya! Was just turning on the hose, when a red-hot needle pierced my foot. Unseen nest in the bush.

While I'm not allergic, foot swelled up impressively; skin was really tight. Paper wasp.

Here in Hurricane Alley, the mud daubers love to build rock-hard nests in the track of your hurricane shutters. So there you are on a ladder, storm coming, shutter won't close.

The paper wasps are creative, usually building one where you can't see- top edge of your door, etc. Then you get zapped for coming close! Loathsome creatures. They eat spiders, supposedly; I don't remember having a spider problem for which to thank them for.

AA

It sounds like things have worked out, but what I've done is to go out at night and put a large glass bowl over the opening. Make sure there are no openings at the edge of the bowl. In the morning they will come out and fly toward the light, but will be trapped under the bowl. Eventually they will die out. You could use a pesticide to speed things along.

I've heard that this works well. I've uncovered several yellowjacket hives the hard way and these little buggers don't lose their stingers when they sting you so they sting multiple times. The interesting thing about your situation is that I understand that they make hives in pre-existing holes in the ground, holes made by other animals. They don't dig their own as far as I know. Good luck with getting rid of them.

Top Bottom