What's new

Prices going up?

Costs going up can make a grown man hollar. I noticed pricing at west coast shaving has increased. The products I bought for the Autumn have all gone up. For once I bought before the increase. Are other retailers going to follow suit?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Supposedly EVERYTHING is going up currently or going to go up in the future by 5-20%. EVERYTHING. At least that’s what the news told me. They gave a big list of stuff and I was thinking “ok, that’s all consumer goods categories”.

Cynically, I believe retailers raise their prices ahead of the holidays to offset the race to the bottom with sales and coupons. For small retailers, I don't blame them. They don't have a lot of price elasticity. And they must follow holiday protocol if only to appease consumer expectations. Jeez, did I just write that :out:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cynically, I believe retailers raise their prices ahead of the holidays to offset the race to the bottom with sales and coupons. For small retailers, I don't blame them. They don't have a lot of price elasticity. And they must follow holiday protocol if only to appease consumer expectations. Jeez, did I just write that :out:
LOL! Yes you did.

I agree with you. I'd hate to be in retail. Not as an employee; but as the owner. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Wait till Christmas 2022.

I worked for two different retail companies and keep in touch with some trade associations. Here is just a few factors they claim have resulted in price increases retailers charge:
  • Commodity prices have increased substantially and these price increases have been passed on to retailers. For example, Coca-Cola has increased wholesale prices and large companies such as Proctor and Gamble, Kimberly Clark, etc. have increased the prices they charge retailers.
  • Shortages have resulted in higher prices retailers have had to pay for goods. I learned that some large retailers are in the process of having shipping containers re-routed to ports other than on the West Coast to save on labor costs and increase productivity. For example, a typical longshoreman in LA makes over $100,000 a year without counting benefits. In addition, work restrictions limit the hours of operation and have substantial limits on automation. However, this re-routing will take a long time to become effective.
  • Shipping costs have increased substantially. Shipping from distribution centers to stores is higher than ever before. Fuel costs are a major contributor.
  • Labor costs are at a historic high. Many states have increased the minimum wage for entry-level workers. Plus, competition for hiring personnel is tight. One factor that is a recent one is the idea of social distancing requirements have increased labor costs.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I worked for two different retail companies and keep in touch with some trade associations. Here is just a few factors they claim have resulted in price increases retailers charge:
  • Commodity prices have increased substantially and these price increases have been passed on to retailers. For example, Coca-Cola has increased wholesale prices and large companies such as Proctor and Gamble, Kimberly Clark, etc. have increased the prices they charge retailers.
  • Shortages have resulted in higher prices retailers have had to pay for goods. I learned that some large retailers are in the process of having shipping containers re-routed to ports other than on the West Coast to save on labor costs and increase productivity. For example, a typical longshoreman in LA makes over $100,000 a year without counting benefits. In addition, work restrictions limit the hours of operation and have substantial limits on automation. However, this re-routing will take a long time to become effective.
  • Shipping costs have increased substantially. Shipping from distribution centers to stores is higher than ever before. Fuel costs are a major contributor.
  • Labor costs are at a historic high. Many states have increased the minimum wage for entry-level workers. Plus, competition for hiring personnel is tight. One factor that is a recent one is the idea of social distancing requirements have increased labor costs.

Add to that, the U.S. injecting 6 Trillion dollars into the economy in the last 18 months, with much more on the way.

I’ve seen first hand. A large local retailer would do it over 30 days before Christmas because they had a huge Xmas and Boxing Day sale and a 30 day price guarantee

The cost to manufacturers are going up due to shipping costs of raw materials, fuel costs, etc. Therefore, the costs are pushed to the consumer. We are going to see a lot of increases this year.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It really is a no win situation for consumers, ie. everyone not in the 1%.

People screaming about raising the minimum wage to 15 bucks can’t really think that retailers/restaurants are just going to eat that increase for a loss do they? No one in corporate is ever going to say “lets increase our minimum wage to $15 bucks an hour and we will simply show our shareholders a net loss over last year because of it”. LOL yeah right. If you want a higher minimum wage you should expect a higher cost of goods. That burger meal you love for $6 now just became $8. Your monthly $150 Walmart trip just became $250. Contgrats, we all make a decent living wage. Except…..with the cost of that living wage passed on to…well…us, the same people wanting that living wage….we are basically back to square one.

It even sucks more now because everything is going up even without wages going up. This pandemic sure was convenient for the 1%

shavefan

I’m not a fan
It really is a no win situation for consumers, ie. everyone not in the 1%.

People screaming about raising the minimum wage to 15 bucks can’t really think that retailers/restaurants are just going to eat that increase for a loss do they? No one in corporate is ever going to say “lets increase our minimum wage to $15 bucks an hour and we will simply show our shareholders a net loss over last year because of it”. LOL yeah right. If you want a higher minimum wage you should expect a higher cost of goods. That burger meal you love for $6 now just became $8. Your monthly $150 Walmart trip just became $250. Contgrats, we all make a decent living wage. Except…..with the cost of that living wage passed on to…well…us, the same people wanting that living wage….we are basically back to square one.

It even sucks more now because everything is going up even without wages going up. This pandemic sure was convenient for the 1%

Wages in the U.S., when compared to GDP, have been stagnant for over 40 years. Is it really any wonder why it feels (for many) that it's hard to get ahead? Why the middle class is shrinking? Why it's no longer possible to raise a family on one income?

When it comes to recent inflation, I see and hear too much (IMO) emphasis being blamed on the supply side of the equation. There would be much less of a supply crunch if demand settled down. One can't reasonably expect that unprecedented economic stimulus spending is to have no effect on the demand side. We'll see how this MMT experiment quietly being played out will end.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
^+1
It is not just happening in the US. We are seeing it in all jurisdictions that have been heavily "stimulating" their economies over the past couple of years. This is particularly so in western countries. The true inflation rate (not government CPI figures) will probably be going much higher for a few more years yet. It will then settle down but prices will not return to "the good old days".

If you haven't already, get into more inflation proof investments. Cash is no longer king. Was it ever?

^+1
It is not just happening in the US. We are seeing it in all jurisdictions that have been heavily "stimulating" their economies over the past couple of years. This is particularly so in western countries. The true inflation rate (not government CPI figures) will probably be going much higher for a few more years yet. It will then settle down but prices will not return to "the good old days".

If you haven't already, get into more inflation proof investments. Cash is no longer king. Was it ever?
Like Wiliam's Mug Soap?

I read the other day that the average cost of a new TV is $150 higher than last year--with the high cost of shipping being the main culprit. I also saw the next shortage looming is cardboard boxes. Since the pandemic changed the way everyone shops, there aren't enough factories to keep up with demand for boxes. Amazon and Wal-Mart will still get boxes, but small online retailers are paying a lot more for shipping supplies now.

Top Bottom