What's new

Pressure and blades that tug

Everyone will tell you not to use any pressure, but no one talks about the fact that even new blades will struggle to get through hair unless you use a bit. Perhaps some people really just have tough beards, but if the argument is that you just need another brand of blade, I would be limited to 3 or 4 brands for the rest of my life. When you guys shave, do your blades of choice cut effortlessly? Or do you guys generally need some pressure to get through the growth? Irritation seems to come with blades that require that extra pressure for me, which is just about all of them.

Go try a BIC, it's like a laser beam. It completely re-calibrates your brain. If you can genuinely shave with no pressure, it won't tear you up and you will be done shaving before you have time to think about it. Also, pressure can be directional. Something straight shavers learn is how to give it a nudge and when not to. Of course shaving angle comes into play, if you are having resistance constantly then you need to shave steeper. And your razor may not work well for doing that. Or try shorter strokes on the first pass. Or try more passes without pressure. Try all the things!

Good luck.

Go try a BIC, it's like a laser beam. It completely re-calibrates your brain. If you can genuinely shave with no pressure, it won't tear you up and you will be done shaving before you have time to think about it. Also, pressure can be directional. Something straight shavers learn is how to give it a nudge and when not to. Of course shaving angle comes into play, if you are having resistance constantly then you need to shave steeper. And your razor may not work well for doing that. Or try shorter strokes on the first pass. Or try more passes without pressure. Try all the things!

Good luck.
I have some BICs on the way atm. I tried Feathers for the first time the other day and had one of my better shaves, and I recall the BICs feeling similar for a much lower cost.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I would be limited to 3 or 4 brands for the rest of my life.
You say that like its a bad thing. Congratulations, you've found 3 or 4 blades that work well for you. That should be enough variety to prevent boredom.

When you guys shave, do your blades of choice cut effortlessly?
I can always feel some resistance at the handle, even when using Feather blades. The resistance is more noticeably on the chin and mustache areas, especially when I used to go first pass ATG. However, I do *not* feel like I have to tug on the handle to pull the blade through my whiskers. So to answer your question: Effortless? Yes.

Or do you guys generally need some pressure to get through the growth?
Are you talking about inward pressure, or tugging on the handle to pull the blade through the whiskers?

Irritation seems to come with blades that require that extra pressure for me, which is just about all of them.
Stop using those blades. Don't feel bad about it. Find the blades that require the least amount of effort and use those. I've tried 34 varieties of blades and there are only 5 that I like.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Everyone will tell you not to use any pressure

Everything involves pressure. Even the backing track of Vanilla Ice’s ode to narcissism; “Ice Ice Baby;” is under pressure.

The key is directing pressure away from your skin and into the follicles to rupture their upper portions into the depths of Gehenna (or just down the drain…).

So maybe only a scraped face idiot told you otherwise, but it is no longer “everyone,” innit?

Anyways, joining the chorus recommending Gillette Nacet brand razor blades for people who use safety razors and half-DE barber razors. Maybe they’re not internet famous for cutting monofilament line with less force than Feather Hi-Stainless or Bic Chrome Platinum, but they seem to work better than Bic Chrome Platinum with my poor skills and a Fatip Grande. And they often cost less than Bic Chrome Platinum at 100 blade level.

You have to use some pressure in order for the blade to cut. It's not a laser. Sometimes for me a blade that should be just fine will start to tug. Who knows why.
Some areas on your beard have tough spots like under your lip and above the chin. That little area will often pull for me no matter what blade I use.

I think what it might be is a technique issue, but I seem to have trouble getting the blade edge under the hair without putting pressure inward on the skin. If I just place the razor on my skin and let the weight do the work, it feels like it barely catches the top of the hair, and is really inefficient. Could be because my daily driver razors have neutral or negative exposure. I also struggle to pull through the hair by pulling on the handle without adding additional pressure to the face at the same time.

I think what it might be is a technique issue, but I seem to have trouble getting the blade edge under the hair without putting pressure inward on the skin. If I just place the razor on my skin and let the weight do the work, it feels like it barely catches the top of the hair, and is really inefficient. Could be because my daily driver razors have neutral or negative exposure. I also struggle to pull through the hair by pulling on the handle without adding additional pressure to the face at the same time.
One problem with neutral and negative exposure razors is, without enough experience, they can dynamically shift between shallow angle and steep and everything in between without clear communication what angle they are at. The only way to tell is the handle angle and that takes experience. If you break down your face into pieces of a puzzle, you can work out the right angle by using short or buffing strokes for each piece. Then try to assemble several pieces into one stroke. Your muscle memory will kick in and vary the handle angle as you transition across an area. There is always an optimum angle that will cut correctly, finding and maintaining it is the tricky part!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@D4PPZ , on tougher areas, skin stretching can help expose the hair higher than it normally sits above the skin line and can also keep it in place a little to resist rolling out of the way of the cutting edge. It can be overdone (I find that out often) and isn’t a super miracle guarantor of BBS, but it can also help.

It can also be done with the cap or comb instead of your fingertips. For reference, see Steep Angle Shavers Alliance and Low Angle Shaving Illustrated for using the safety bar to push skin out of the way to expose whiskers or using the cap to bunch up skin slightly to reveal whiskers and lower your cutting angle.

Everything works for someone. Also, Nacets.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
If the blade is good and sharp enough you won't need to apply any pressure. It really doesn't help the shave. You need to find out which blades work well for you and stick to those. Generally I think that pressure means trying to compensate for lack of sharpness. Also, it can be a compensation for lack of aggressiveness of your razor.

Top Bottom