What's new

Preliminary picture...

The new coffee mug ought to be available in our store by Wednesday or so. This is a preliminary one that was used to test the glaze. We wanted it to look nautical and I think we pulled it off. The handle has been enlarged based on feedback so now three fingers easily fit. It is very stable as you can see with the flared base. For now it will be available in our popular Gunmetal glaze.

Check the store in just a few days for the new release. This will be the ideal gift to give for that hard-to-buy-for person in your life.

IMG_5587 2.jpeg

Here is a pic following what is referred to as the bisque firing. Pottery is thrown on a wheel one at a time. It is allowed to dry down for a week. Then it goes into the kiln for the bisque firing which removes any residual moisture. Each piece is then dipped into the glaze and fired again to get the finished product. Along the way there are pieces that literally explode inside the kiln from having too much moisture. So there are losses here and there.

The gentle swirl on the surface adds some visual texture. It plays another role as well. That type of surface is not able to be replicated in a factory overseas and sold for less like is happening to some - cough, cough - lathers bowls. When you get one of these you know it was made by hand here in the USA. So there is a competitive reason that the surface is embellished like it is.

The free market is at liberty to copy successful designs. Likewise, the original designs are free to innovate in order to protect what they created in the first place. I like the free market, it keeps life interesting!

image-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Well let’s hope the copy shop result is a lot like this instead…

Oh and wide base mugs are rare anyhow.

IKEA might get inspired though

Attachments

• 75EE1B19-23EE-4172-80EA-516111317164.png
    75EE1B19-23EE-4172-80EA-516111317164.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Here is a pic following what is referred to as the bisque firing. Pottery is thrown on a wheel one at a time. It is allowed to dry down for a week. Then it goes into the kiln for the bisque firing which removes any residual moisture. Each piece is then dipped into the glaze and fired again to get the finished product. Along the way there are pieces that literally explode inside the kiln from having too much moisture. So there are losses here and there.

The gentle swirl on the surface adds some visual texture. It plays another role as well. That type of surface is not able to be replicated in a factory overseas and sold for less like is happening to some - cough, cough - lathers bowls. When you get one of these you know it was made by hand here in the USA. So there is a competitive reason that the surface is embellished like it is.

The free market is at liberty to copy successful designs. Likewise, the original designs are free to innovate in order to protect what they created in the first place. I like the free market, it keeps life interesting!

View attachment 1339889
Wait til the interwebs get a load of this!

• Haha
Reactions: Anu

View attachment 1339889
I'm curious, are the helms located in the same place for every mug or will they vary from mug to mug? If it is in the same position for every mug, how was the decision made to place it in its current location (instead of, for instance, directly opposite the handle)?

I'm curious, are the helms located in the same place for every mug or will they vary from mug to mug? If it is in the same position for every mug, how was the decision made to place it in its current location (instead of, for instance, directly opposite the handle)?
The mug we had with a previous design had the compass rose affixed like this one is. The mug received good feedback and so we wanted to preserve the location of the compass rose in this new style. That location is pretty common with logos and images. Here is a beer stein, for example.

product-images_colors_10-oz-bullet-ceramic-beer-steins-bm32-natural.jpg

The mug we had with a previous design had the compass rose affixed like this one is. The mug received good feedback and so we wanted to preserve the location of the compass rose in this new style. That location is pretty common with logos and images. Here is a beer stein, for example.

View attachment 1340080
Oh! From the previous picture, I thought it was 110° not 90° from the handle. My mistake!

That made me wonder how you came up with the decision to set it there. 🙂

Oh! From the previous picture, I thought it was 110° not 90° from the handle. My mistake!

That made me wonder how you came up with the decision to set it there. 🙂
Okay, I better understand now. The picture is a closeup and so is a bit distorted by the lens I believe. It may well be the compass rose is not quite where it needs to be.

The intent is that they be 90 degrees from the handle. Some may not quite be but we are working on it. This is why we are doing small batches initially as we get used to the learning curve. If a compass rose is off a bit there are customers it would bug and others that would find it charming. Me it would bug.

IMG_5637.jpg
I have our first one of our new coffee mugs and needed it for product photography. We do expect to have inventory of them later in the month. I'll be transparent and say that the glaze has been a challenge to get right. This has caused a delay but we are getting there and are hopeful. And yes, they do look oh so right.

More info here.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have one from the last batch and it's the best coffee mug I've owned hands down.
Great size - holds a lot (10 ounces of coffee is a little over half full), fits in my Keurig, good spillproof pour, holds heat, comfortable in the hand.
What more could you ask for?

Top Bottom