What's new

Pre-Shave Cream

A quick question about pre-shave products. I have never bothered using one, but I'm wondering whether it might be worth adding one to my routine.

My hair type requires a minimum of a mid-aggression razor to get the result I want without excessive touch ups. The issue is there is a problem area on my neck which gets at least mildly irritated most of the time. My question is, would adding a pre-shave item like the one made by proraso make enough difference to prevent that from happening?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

You would have to t ry it and see. Some people don't find pre-shaves helpful, some do.
I might get one of the smaller tubs to give it a go. I don't really mind if the slight neck irritation stays since my post-shave products usually clear it up, but if I could prevent it altogether that would be wonderful. Either way I'm still getting a lot less irriation than when I used cartridge razors.

I've had success using Proraso Green pre-shave with soaps that cause mild irritation. I'm on the verge of using it with every shave.

Lather and proper technique will help get rid of irritation.

If anything, using a pre-shave will hinder improving those aspects.

In short, a pre-shave isn't needed. If you want to go through the ritual of doing it, and buy into the "softening whiskers" claim, go for it.

Lather and proper technique will help get rid of irritation.

If anything, using a pre-shave will hinder improving those aspects.

In short, a pre-shave isn't needed. If you want to go through the ritual of doing it, and buy into the "softening whiskers" claim, go for it.
I've been wet shaving for quite a long time, and I kind of think I have my technique and lather down at this point; that's why I was asking. I could use a milder razor, but without buffing it doesn't get me as smooth as I'd like (and with buffing I'd get the irriation anyway).

I've been wet shaving for quite a long time, and I kind of think I have my technique and lather down at this point; that's why I was asking. I could use a milder razor, but without buffing it doesn't get me as smooth as I'd like (and with buffing I'd get the irriation anyway).

In that case the pre-shave will do nothing. Prehaves are a crutch for people who don't have their lather and technique down. Sometimes they add a layer of slickness in those cases.

Are you shaving ATG on your neck? If so, try just doing WTG (single or multiple pass, depending on the rest of your routine). If it goes away, stick with that.

I'm still getting a lot less irriation than when I used cartridge razors.

That sounds technique, blade choice or inadequate lather during DE. If your skin is better off and has less irritation with cartridges, there is only one thing left to blame and it's not the razor. :a9:

That sounds technique, blade choice or inadequate lather during DE. If your skin is better off and has less irritation with cartridges, there is only one thing left to blame.
I meant I used to get more irritation when I used cartridges. DE shaving drastically reduced my irritation.

Typically, I use soaps that have excellent slickness such that pre-shave products are not needed. However, I still have some soaps in my den that are somewhat lacking in slickenss, especially residual slickness. When using those soaps, a pre-shave can be helpful.

When I'm experiencing irritation problems, which isn't often but it does happen once in awhile due to environmental factors or whatever, I use the white Proraso preshave before lathering. It adds enough additional comfort to the shave to eliminate any possible irritation. And it smells great. I don't see any good reason to have to suffer.

If you want a quick experiment, Noxzema is just about as good as some of the dedicated pre-shave creams, and you can probably buy it locally at lower cost. I apply it and let it sit maybe a minute while I'm doing something else. Then I rinse it all off with a lot of hot water, before I apply my lather. I think it does help soften my hair a bit. I can get by with water that isn't as hot if I use the Noxzema, or Prep, or 3P. Haven't tried the Proraso.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I'll get some of the Proraso and give it a go.

For me ProRaso does not work at all as a pre shave as an asb it is good

Stirling menthol pre shave soap works brilliantly though I tend to apply it with a sisal scrub spongue which helps too.

Sometimes floid shaving oil for the last pass

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I'll get some of the Proraso and give it a go.
Something else you can try at very low cost is clear glycerine soap as a pre-wash. Just wash your face with the glycerine soap and lather it up a bit. Leave on for a minute or two., then rinse off about half the soap. This leaves a slick layer on the skin that you can lather your shaving soap on top of.

I sometimes just apply the glycerine soap like a shaving stick and lather it up with a shaving brush.

Something else you can try at very low cost is clear glycerine soap as a pre-wash. Just wash your face with the glycerine soap and lather it up a bit. Leave on for a minute or two., then rinse off about half the soap. This leaves a slick layer on the skin that you can lather your shaving soap on top of.

I sometimes just apply the glycerine soap like a shaving stick and lather it up with a shaving brush.
IB used to sell a RR glycerin prehsave soap, it worked similar to what you are describing.

If I get a dud, hard shave soap that I don't like for shaving, it quite often hits the shower as a facial soap as my last prep before my shave.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
PREP is a good pre-shave to try. If you don't see any benefit from it, it has a bunch of other uses so all would not be lost.

I’m not sure preshave would do much for you there. But I do like using proraso green preshave as it brings back an old school vibe.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don’t have any issues with irritation but occasionally add a preshave to an order to meet free shipping. The Proraso preshaves (red and green) didn’t really do anything for me in that I didn’t notice any difference in the shave. A glycerine soap, such as RazoRock’s, rubbed on the face/whiskers is the only pre shave product I’ve used that seemed to make a difference. I rub the soap on my damp face just before lathering and it definitely makes for a slicker shave. I keep some of the glycerine soap around to use prior to soaps and creams that are lacking in slickness. I’m using 3P right now and Have probably enjoyed it the most. Not because I’ve really noticed a difference in my shaves but because the Camphor and Peppermint kick really wake me up in the morning.

Top Bottom