What's new

Pre-shave Cream before each pass?

What's the consensus here? For those of you that use pre-shave creams, do you only apply at the beginning of the first pass, or do you re-apply before each subsequent pass?

I've only applied to the face before the shave. I know Proraso recommends people with sensitive skin should apply between passes.

I use a pre-shave oil, and coincidentally enough, I've been testing exactly this the last few days. I started out using it only before the first pass... then on a whim started re-applying it before each pass. For my face and technique, it works great when used before each pass, and if I try to skip it, like I did today, my face will burn for a few hours with just a one pass shave. Since I use the less expensive options, this doesn't bother me to use before each pass.

Excellent to know, thanks! I started only applying it to the first pass, but then figured it would help on the subsequent passes (which tend to be the more irritating) if applied again. Good to see that others are doing so as well.

Interesting. I may try that after I gain some more experience with the other passes.

I thought about trying this as well, but with how much burn I got from skipping the pre-shave on the first pass today, I've determined I have a routine I know works for me, pre-shave oil isn't expensive for the brands I get, I have no reason to try to fix something that isn't broken. lol

I thought about trying this as well, but with how much burn I got from skipping the pre-shave on the first pass today, I've determined I have a routine I know works for me, pre-shave oil isn't expensive for the brands I get, I have no reason to try to fix something that isn't broken. lol

I've only tried the Proraso pre-shave cream. Out of curiosity, what pre-shave oils do you typically go with?

Some people are using noxzema as a substitute for proraso pre shave cream due to expense of the proraso cream. If you buy the generic noxzema it is only $3-4 for a big tub (comparatively speaking) to the $11 proraso which is in a fairly small tub. Some people swear it makes no difference in their shaves and others say the opposite. A huge YMMV topic that requires you to figure out your own needs. I have tried the proraso and I like it but I need more data to determine if it is worth the cost. Some people don't want to add time to their routine by using a preshave if they don't need it.

I've only tried the Proraso pre-shave cream. Out of curiosity, what pre-shave oils do you typically go with?

I've picked up the King of Shaves oil at a Christmas Tree Shoppe, under $6 a bottle for 1/2OZ. Even with the use I give it, it should last 1/4 to 1/3 of a year each bottle. I have both the blue bottle and the menthol green one (to match the green proraso when in the menthol mood). They also carry the Pacific Shaving Company products there, which I'll buy at some point to see if there is a difference. I'm also currently burning through a free sample of the AoS unscented, and I really like how the stuff works. It seems expensive, but once you break it down to 1/2OZ price, it's not much more than the KoS stuff. Its just not as easy for me to buy since they don't have AoS locally.

Some people are using noxzema as a substitute for proraso pre shave cream due to expense of the proraso cream. If you buy the generic noxzema it is only $3-4 for a big tub (comparatively speaking) to the $11 proraso which is in a fairly small tub. Some people swear it makes no difference in their shaves and others say the opposite. A huge YMMV topic that requires you to figure out your own needs. I have tried the proraso and I like it but I need more data to determine if it is worth the cost. Some people don't want to add time to their routine by using a preshave if they don't need it.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that.

Oh yea...Many and myself have used Noxzema straight out of the blue jar to shave with. It's a bit gooey but ok...however there are many better thing to use now days...inho.

I use an oil when applying a stick directly to my face, but for everything else, face lathering pucks or creams or bowl lathering, I use Proraso pre-shave for the first pass. I figure the first pass gets rid of a lot of the hair and from there it seems I'm really just polishing up and I don't need the extra protection of an oil or pre-shave cream. This is my theory, it has no basis in science or fact!

Using Vitos pre/post at the moment, reapplying for each pass. Works well.

Insofar as it is a "post" cream, I don't think it works well as an ASB (and is probably not intended as such), but I apply another thin layer after the final touchup while I'm cleaning razor/sink/etc, then do rinse/alum/AS, etc.

Also use the I'Coloniali pre/post in the same way.

Top Bottom