What's new

Power tools.

I keep finding old 9.6v chargers for cheap. And they still work! I take them apart and brush off dust buildup, blow them out with air, and reassemble. Keep finding plastic carry cases, too. And a metal one - like my original drill. (It was a rust bucket but cleaned up nicely!)

So I'm fully invested, and bought 3 new batteries off an internet site for $28 a pop.

Attachments

• IMG_8288.JPG
    IMG_8288.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8305.JPG
    IMG_8305.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8306.JPG
    IMG_8306.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 9
I keep finding old 9.6v chargers for cheap. And they still work! I take them apart and brush off dust buildup, blow them out with air, and reassemble. Keep finding plastic carry cases, too. And a metal one - like my original drill. (It was a rust bucket but cleaned up nicely!)

So I'm fully invested, and bought 3 new batteries off an internet site for $28 a pop.
Is that the same carrying case in photos 1 & 2? If so, nicely done.

Your post reminds when I once found an old Delta Shopmaster drill that was left outside under the eave of a house for about week by a contractor and then sat in my garage for 3-4 years thereafter. The 18V battery was stuck on the drill, could not be removed due to rust or something, thought I did not go as far as trying to pry or hammer it off. Out of curiosity I tried to find if the brand was still sold but could find little information. Even in that sad condition there was a tiny bit of power left to spin the drill, but no easy way to recharge it.

Thanks! Color doesn't quite match, but with some use and greasy hands I'm sure it'll blend in!

I had my first Makita 9.6 drill in a metal case in 1990. After some years the batteries gave up the ghost, and I didn't think the newer batteries they were offering were worth the money. It sat for years, until I donated it to a forum member who had all his tools stolen. I'd gone back to corded drills, so wasn't using it. Then came the inevitable cordless scam, where every couple of years they'd come out with a "new" higher power drill - and your old batteries were discontinued, and the newer batteries wouldn't fit your tools. So you had to replace and upgrade your whole collection. And it never stopped happening!
I finally decided to go back to cordless for small jobs due to the convenience, and Makita 9.6v stuff was basically being given away. So I started collecting. But I really wanted a metal carry case like my first one 30 years ago. Found the rusted rat trap box 4 months ago at a surplus store for $4. So I snagged it and redid it.

Last edited:
I don't recall if I showed you guys here, but I "made" a Makita 9.6v drill run off of an OLD battery charger. Figured if it burned up no loss. (Some years ago before I started finding all the 9.6vers' out there0. Actually used it to install gutters on my house. No problems - though a buddy of mine called it a solution to a problem I didn't have.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.JPG
    IMG_3622.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 5
I feel like I’m in the audience of HOME IMPROVEMENT, with Tim the Toolman Taylor! Lots of great tools here.

For me, I’ve got Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch, Makita… mostly corded but a few handy cordless drills. My favorite is an older Bosch IMPACTOR, small impact driver. When I remodeled my home fifteen years ago, I screwed rather than nailed most of the wood. Absolutely one of the finest power tools I’ve ever used.

IMG_1136.jpeg

Top Bottom