What's new

Power Outage=I need a Generator!!!

I have a 17kW Guardian hooked up to a 250 gallon propane tank. It kicks on 10 seconds after a power outage (just long enough to have to reset a couple clocks). It's so nice. The only things we don't use while on generator are the dryer and the oven (stove top is usable). It's awesome. At least one of my neighbors got tired of seeing the lights on in my house while theirs were out, because he got one too!
Im glad that you like it. I worked for Generac for about 10 years when I lived in Wisconsin. I did everything there was to do there, worked on the line, built engines, did quality testing, did warranty repairs. Good times.

I used to work for Generac and I can tell you that you arent going to get much for $500, maybe something that would power your fridge, not to mention youd need to have a lot of gas on hand, which probably wont be available if the whole area has an outage.
If youre going to do it, I highly recommend you get a home standby generator. Youre probably looking at spending thousands of dollars but its the only way to go because you plumb it into your natural gas or propane utility and never have to worry about having fuel for it. Not to mention, it turns on and off on its own, no running extension cords and you can power your entire house with it. Everyone else could be without power for weeks at a time and youd be able to live your life as normal.
+1 We have a Carrier standby generator, powers everything. We also have nat. gas for range, water heater, gas pack.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We've got a couple of these at work. Might be a bit overkill for your needs. But hey! You could power the entire block!

C833510.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Powering the AC unit is going to be tough. I don't have a lot to offer here, other than minding your fuel. Either put pure gas, which can be had in small quantities at places that sell garden equipment (for a pretty penny), or put in some Stabil ethanol fuel stabilizer. This ethanol garbage gels up like you won't believe when it sits. I like my motorcycle sit for a year without running and new gas. I had to pull the in tank filter to empty the tank, and blast the filter with carb cleaner. Nasty stuff.

Yeah I did forget about the peak watts that those things draw to get started. You'd be better off running a window unit to keep the area where you're going to sleep cool and cycling other things you need on and off as you need them. During Gustav we used a generator to run a pair of window units at night and periodically throughout the day, and would plug in the fridge and freezer for a few hours every night just to keep them thoroughly cold.

Hello! Sorry, but I didn’t figure out how to create a new topic. If you can, move my post where necessary, thanks!

The question is similar, so I am writing here. I had an accident at home, for a long time there will be no electricity. Now I'm trying to find a suitable generator. I received many strange offers when I considered supported generators, but decided to buy a new one. Now my choice has fallen on one of these. Thinking about this model Generac 7043. Have you had a similar experience with these or similar generators?

I had an accident at home, for a long time there will be no electricity

What sort of accident? This is significant because the only ones I can think of that would knock out power to an entire house for a long duration would involve the panel box all the way to where power comes into the home. Every one of the generators on that page looks like whole house generators. These are connected to a transfer switch between the KWH meter and the panel box, and powers though your house wiring. This means that if you have damage to your wiring, none of these generators will do you any good.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm a little late to the party, but we had a major ice storm that knocked out power in three states several years ago. Out of power for over two weeks. I had a Campbell Halsfield one with a honda engine on it and I had nothing but problems with it. It was pretty much unusable then. We ended up borrowing a guy's portable welder that had plug ins on it.

I have since gotten a Generac GP5500 one and it runs like a champ. Had it for several years and it always starts on the first or second pull. I don't have a transfer switch, wish I did and probably will get one since I have to run an extension cord to the well pump and one to the house to plug into a surge protector panel and can run the well pump, coffee maker, microwave, T.V. and computer (it's rated for electronics), an 18,000 btu portable air conditioner, keep the fridge and deep freeze running during the day and I shut it off at night...the fridge and freezer will keep things good overnight, and I don't have a problem with kerosene lamps at night although it would run the house lights just fine if I had a transfer switch.

It's not powerful enough to run the 240 volt dryer, but it will run the 240 volt washing machine. I think it was about $700. I don't think I'll spring for a $5,000 whole house one since the electric co-op here is great to get things fixed. I don't have to worry about heat since I have propane heat, cook stove, and hot water heater.

This one, you just can't run everything at once but it will get you through. It's in the back of the pump house lean-to about 20 yards away that faces away from the house so the noise is not that much of a problem:

Generac Power Systems - 5500 watt GP Series Portable Generator - 5939

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ooops...I just remembered, that Campbell Hausfeld had a briggs and stratton engine instead of a honda. And briggs and stratton engines are good. No small engine mechanic could figure out what was wrong with it.

Last edited:
Been there, done that. After Hurricane Irene, I had to drive almost 2 hrs into another State to find one. Don't forget heavy duty extension cords, gas cans (5 gal metal ones are best for storage) and gas treatment to prevent problems with ethanol fuel (unless you can find a station selling ethanol-free fuel).
Or avoid the gas problem altogether with a dual fuel generator that runs off of propane.

Grains should be used to make bourbon and whiskey, not fuel additives.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I agree. I also went with a whole house backup generator....a Kohler, which runs off propane. I would have chosen Natural gas, but that would have meant running larger lines to the house, a larger meter, and new gas lines in the house. Works great. You can't accomplish what you want to do with that budget constraint.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I kinda went half way plus.

My wife is disabled and the chair lift we use to get out to the car takes a bit of juice. I bought a 3000 watt unit which will run this. I also installed a transfer switch but only for our furnace. Like I live in Canada man. You don't want to be cold. Dark is fine, cooking on the BBQ, and so on.

What it will not run is the elevator that my wife needs to get from floor to floor or the AC if the power goes out in the middle of summer.

So there we go. . . . if there is a long term problem we leave I guess.

This thing weighs on my mind . . . I may yet do something wired in with greater capacity.

Top Bottom