What's new

Images of Royal Caribbean's massive new cruise ship, Icon of the Seas, are circulating online — and it's freaking people out. ;-)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I can’t get on something in the water looking that top heavy since I saw “The Poseidon Adventure”.
What you should be thinking of is a thing called metacritic height of a ship. Basically, the larger the metacritic height, the stiffer the ship's stability is.

The minimum allowable metacritic height of a commercial ship is 600mm. Most ships have a metacritic height that is much greater. Passenger ships try for the lowest metacritic height. The reason for this is that the lower the metacritic height, the slower and longer is the ship's roll period. A sharp short roll period is more conducive to seasickness in those not use to a ship's motion, hence the low metacritic height for passenger ships.

Catamarans, by their very nature, have a very high metacritic height. It is for this reason that passengers on catamarans, contrary to popular belief, are actually much more susceptible to seasickness.

I‘ll never understand how someone can call this a vacation.

Simple (though I basically agree with you). You pay one price and don't have to worry about very much for the duration. It costs about as much as a nice hotel in a big city. Beautiful weather, all you can eat, somebody else does all the work and waits on you hand and foot. You can do little excursions and activities if you want, but it's optional.

Simple (though I basically agree with you). You pay one price and don't have to worry about very much for the duration. It costs about as much as a nice hotel in a big city. Beautiful weather, all you can eat, somebody else does all the work and waits on you hand and foot. You can do little excursions and activities if you want, but it's optional.
I guess I’m just not that kind of “tourist”. Crowd, noise, ”activities”… I’d scream at the top of my lungs jack.

Or this

IMG_0013.gif

I guess I’m just not that kind of “tourist”. Crowd, noise, ”activities”… I’d scream at the top of my lungs jack.

Or this

View attachment 1689174

It's not really that bad! 🤣

I tried it once. It was an older ship that had been converted from a transatlantic ocean liner, so not that many people. They had a gym, swimming pools, yoga classes, library, theater, etc. A lot of people were really into the eating and drinking, though. Lots of drinking. That's not really my thing at all.

I went snorkeling and to the beach a few times. The outdoor stuff was fun. The tourist trap towns were kind of a drag and I didn't spend any time there.

Mrs. Lockback and I try to go on a cruise every year. We purposely pick the smallest ship of the cruise line. I have no interest in a floating carnival. I don't need to do Go-Karts and water slides, for heaven's sake. Give me a pool, a drink package and a ship I can move around without needing oxygen and I'm good. :laugh:

I was skeptical but my in-laws hosted a multi generational trip on a Caribbean cruise a few years back. I didn’t think I would like it as it looked like a floating shopping mall and I don’t like malls. my mind was changed. Great food, stuff for the kids to do. We did a couple excursions in Mexico and Jamaica. Dang drink card was expensive but I tried my best to get my monies worth. 😄

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Siding with the haters on this one. 7K on one boat sounds absolutely horrific. YMMV.

Getting 7,000 people I don't want to vacation with to all congregate somewhere I don't want to be ... and they are all glad to do so ... seems like a win win to me.

that's all Greek to me

I think it's Egghead for "if'n you make the boat too tall it'll flip over."

Top Bottom