What's new

Images of Royal Caribbean's massive new cruise ship, Icon of the Seas, are circulating online — and it's freaking people out. ;-)

HVe not been on Cruise in over 20 years, last one was horrible experience.

Will never go again, room sucked, food was ok, Cruise line did their best to take you for every penny you owned.

Epithet rather do road trip exploring America, see small towns, eating local dishes, and spending money in USA.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We enjoy going to the islands of the Caribbean on our own.... other places too. I find, we get a feel for the island and/or country that way. We get to talk to the locals... find out where they like to eat and discover places on our own.

We have taken day charters in the Caribbean.. Either sailboats or smaller power boats.... Those have been our family of 4 with another family. All of them have been snorkeling cruises with lunch included.

Much like shaving, YMMV. We have friends who just love cruises on the larger vessels.

Am I the only one who is depressed at how we are constantly being infantilized by government, the media and the corporate world?

That ship is built for mature, successful customers yet they've rendered that marketing image to look like a children's toy.

They have utter contempt for the general public. Never forget that when you're tempted to hand them your money.

I'm sure it will look nicer from the inside, but that marketing image offends me. I'm turning into a grumpy old man really fast. But I blame them for that!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1690834616653.png

1690834694356.png

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Well...this behemoth of a ship 'is now underway' today from Miami (wayyyy too big for me and the Mrs. - we would need scooters just to get around & just make meal times...on time), after christening from soccer star Lionel Messi.
1706407766196.png

1706409811852.jpeg
"Royal Caribbean’s ‘Icon of the Seas’ makes maiden voyage this afternoon (dubbed “The World’s Largest Cruise Ship”, the 20 deck high floating city welcomed thousands [this ship can accommodate 5,610 guests at double occupancy] of passengers on its inaugural cruise).

A few comments were;

a) "Watch out for icebergs".

b) "hopefully [the] TOILETs wont have issues this time ...".

Works Cited: Icon of the Seas Set Sail Today

proxy.php
"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the [vision & dream] to lose sight of the shore". Katy Salinas

I personally have zero intrest in traveling on big ship.

Money for Cruise would in my world getting in car, traveling to Stste I have not been.

Staying in decent motel, and eating where local dine.

Have no desire to deal with TSA, or Criise Companies who mission is to nickle & dime you until wallet is empty for experience that is no longer special.

I was tempted by the idea of a cruise, until I worked in an office next to a cruise ship terminal. Loud announcements over a loudspeaker that go on forever is not my idea of fun.

So what I'd need to go on a cruise would be that there would be no loudspeaker announcements, unless we hit an iceberg. Instead, staff will be dispatched to give me the information in a quiet undertone.

I guess I'd also need a wife who did not hate the idea of a cruise with every fiber of her being. But I am fond of her, so that settles that.

I went on a cruise to Norway this summer and liked it a whole lot but… There is a limit to how many people there can be on a boat and keep everything running smooth. Eating was always a bit complicated and the shows were always full. Entering and leaving the boat was always fun and what swimming pool? Always full. Had to use the gym at weird hours or else forget it. Soooo. No way I’m going on a boat with this many people. Don’t care how organized they say they are.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I went on a cruise to Norway this summer and liked it a whole lot but… There is a limit to how many people there can be on a boat and keep everything running smooth. Eating was always a bit complicated and the shows were always full. Entering and leaving the boat was always fun and what swimming pool? Always full. Had to use the gym at weird hours or else forget it. Soooo. No way I’m going on a boat with this many people. Don’t care how organized they say they are.
Bosh Hog:
1-jpg.899177
...definitely. The Mrs. and I would rather opt-out for a much smaller line or a river cruise up the East coast. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"The lovely thing about cruise [or river] lining is that planning usually turns out to be of little use". Dom Degnon

Last edited:
Top Bottom