What's new

Images of Royal Caribbean's massive new cruise ship, Icon of the Seas, are circulating online — and it's freaking people out. ;-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Now, that's a massive ship (way too big for the Mrs. and I)! :a47:

By Jordan Parker - Insider - 16 Jul 23
  • Royal Caribbean is months away from debuting the world's largest cruise ship: the Icon of the Seas.
  • Renderings of the massive ship are recirculating online, and freaking out social media users.
  • Some are calling the ship, which is five times bigger than the Titanic, a "monstrosity."
"Six months before its maiden voyage, Royal Caribbean's massive new ship, the Icon of the Seas, is already generating quite the response.

The ship is reportedly five times bigger than the Titanic, boasting 20 decks, eight "neighborhoods," a miniature Central Park — and a veritable army of online haters.

Renderings of the vessel are making the rounds again on social media, following news late last month that it completed its first sea trials in the ocean.
1689741912777.png

Even though the cruise's inaugural trip is nearly sold out, pointing to a feverish demand for the whimsical new ship, there's an entire population of social media users who find the monstrous boat anxiety-inducing — especially in light of the Titan sub's fatal implosion last month.

1689740645453.png

The "Icon Of The Seas" sets sail in January 2024. 5610 passengers, 2350 crew members, 5 times larger and heavier than the Titanic, 19 floors with more than 40 bars, restaurants and bowling alleys.

Twitter users have taken to the platform to share their disdain for the big boat, with some calling it "hell on water" or "human lasagna." Another person called it "the Candy Crush version" of the underground world in "Silo," a dystopian drama series
on Apple TV.
1689741578680.png

Elisabeth Morray, a psychologist and VP of clinical operations at Alma, told HuffPost that the rendering could be unnerving for people.

"As human beings, we are hard-wired to pay attention to our safety," she told HuffPost. "We intuitively want to feel that we could escape from a threat if we needed to, and there are lots of identifiable threats to our safety that might be triggered
by this image."

Elisabeth Morray, a psychologist and VP of clinical operations at Alma, told HuffPost that the rendering could be unnerving for people.

"As human beings, we are hard-wired to pay attention to our safety," she told HuffPost. "We intuitively want to feel that we could escape from a threat if we needed to, and there are lots of identifiable threats to our safety that might be triggered by this image."

Photos of the cruise ship, taken by Insider's Brittany Chang, show a significantly more toned-down version than the early rendering. Royal Caribbean has spent days running "preliminary tests" to ensure the ship is ready to sail.

1689742088002.png

1689742320419.png
1689742271051.png

1689742378485.png
1689742416855.png

Coming in at 1,198 feet long and 250,800 tons, the cruiseliner will be able to hold more than 7,000 people. According to Royal Caribbean, it will have a surf simulator, dozens of restaurants and bars, and the largest swimming pool and water park at sea".

Where will Icon of the Seas sail?

The ship will sail from Miami on year-round Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries, and each voyage will visit the cruise line’s private island in the Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay, according to a news release. Hideaway Beach, an adults-only area with cabanas, pools and ocean views, will open at the destination in 2024.

The ship also will make stops in places like Cozumel, Mexico, and Roatan, Honduras".

Works Cited: Royal Caribbean's Icon of the Seas

proxy.php
“Cruise Lines…the oceans floating hotels. CBJ

Last edited:
I don't go on cruises. Just not my thing, at least as far as I know. I have never been. I have thoroughly enjoyed staying at the beach a couple of times, which seems similar to me,especially in tourist areas. However, I don't see anything wrong with the ship. Today's safety requirements are fairly significant. I also doubt they want to have 5k plus customers lost at a bad cruise. I am curious how it compares to an aircraft carrier. I was able to stand near one in the 80s and was stunned by the massive size.

I've been on one cruise and it was Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas. I had a great time and once the missus figured out how to tame her motion problems with the patch, she did too. I am very open to cruising again, not so much the wife. If I did, though, I'd prefer a much smaller vessel with a more intimate dining (my advice is avoid buffets). We may do one of those river cruises, which would be more intimate.

I've been on one cruise and it was Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas. I had a great time and once the missus figured out how to tame her motion problems with the patch, she did too. I am very open to cruising again, not so much the wife. If I did, though, I'd prefer a much smaller vessel with a more intimate dining (my advice is avoid buffets). We may do one of those river cruises, which would be more intimate.
River Cruises are great. Generally around 100 people. Best of all, there are no lifeboats or lifejackets…you can walk to shore.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Exactly what I want to do on my vacation - be trapped on a boat with 8k people. No thanks. I used to want to go on a cruise a long time ago, when I was younger. But now that I’m older I don’t want to be around that many people while on vaca. Especially with my only escape being basically a jail cell, 150-200sq ft room. Hard pass on the cruise ships.

I’d do a river cruise though, those look more relaxing and room to enjoy your vaca.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Exactly what I want to do on my vacation - be trapped on a boat with 8k people. No thanks. I used to want to go on a cruise a long time ago, when I was younger. But now that I’m older I don’t want to be around that many people while on vaca. Especially with my only escape being basically a jail cell, 150-200sq ft room. Hard pass on the cruise ships.

I’d do a river cruise though, those look more relaxing and room to enjoy your vaca.
I'd have loved a 200 sq ft room the many years I slept in one of these beds!

th-867283096.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
River Cruises are great. Generally around 100 people. Best of all, there are no lifeboats or lifejackets…you can walk to shore.
You, I and @emwolf must be related.

I've been on one cruise, I believe the ship was owned by this company?

My wife sez never again, especially since Covid hit. The idea of floating around with so many strangers until we all die is too much for her. I'd risk it in a heartbeat for the meals, lol.

She hasn't completely ruled out a river cruise. One of those would make renewing my passport worthwhile I have no doubt!

I hope they have sneeze guards on the buffet? Can you imagine the queue to get off in Bali for a land tour? Imagine how many pee in the pool? and from the top deck, too. What if the toilets block up? Do they have a morgue, or are you stored in a kitchen fridge? What do I do if it rains? Are the beds comfortable? is there a mini fridge with maxi prices?
I think it best I stay home.:sleep12:

Top Bottom