What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

This guy looked like a big bar of 70% dark chocolate when I bought it. It had a nasty mahogany case with 4 of those those nasty cut-off nails in each corner of the backside that destroys everything that it lays on. It was a real stinker and in looked like a skateboard ramp and I forgot what I paid for it but it was about 10 euros or so. And here's the OT. I got it in a flea market in London and in the customs on my way back home, I did my very best not to look like a guy with half a kilo of hasch. They came to the conclusion after a really Really long, hard thought process and thorough frisking of all decent cavities that it wasn't dope.
It was dished on one side only so to spare me the unnececary work, and to keep more of the stone, I flattened it so that instead of top and bottom being parallel to each other, one side has a slope. But it's flat. And no matter what I do, it just keeps secreting gunk. Acetone, Mr muscle, boiling water and detergent. It stays nice for a wile and changes color after a day or two. So it's a pourus little thingie and I don't really know what it is. Every once in a while I get energy, get some new nasty alcohol or something and let it marinate for a while. Best souvenir I ever got. Really interesting piece of whatever it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_182516.jpg
    IMG_20200527_182516.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
Kind of looks like a wahita. British woodworkers loved them. Looks like it could be a fast cutting one. Nice find!
Thanks Toro Blanco. My guess too. But I've only seen them on pictures so I can't really say. Defenetly more pourus than a soft. When you tap it, it's totally devoid of resonance. Sounds more like "fump-fump" than the "pingg" I get from my soft and translucent.
Just curious, what makes you feell its a fast cutter?

It has the more mottled look but not to crazy and is kind of even looking porous wise. That to me indicates a better than average washita. Hone on it and see how it cuts and does it feel even on the surface of the stone or is one part seem different from the other. The better washitas are more homogenized to a point.

Wow! That's even more than I hoped for. Like I said, I had only guessed what it was from the character of the stone, but no real experience of that part of the novuculite spectrum or whatever. What stood out in handling it is that it was rather easy to lap, like you say, it being kinda pourus, and the quality of the grinding. Again all I do is guess here, but again, big thanks for your thaugts on the subject.

Found this little number for $30. It’s a 15K “unknown brand” Chinese ceramic.

Dimensions: 7 1/8” x 2 3/8” x 9/16”

I know if I were to look at Amazon or flea-bay I could easily pay around $150 for a ceramic 15k finisher-

this one was kinda rough looking and felt rough to the touch. I figured all it needed was lapping- and she’d be good. Luckily, I was right- cleaned right up. It’s what I’ve been needing and has been missing in my process. If anyone knows these markings, I’d be curious to know what brand this is-

13D08D80-20EE-48E0-ADAF-CE1596B89C03.jpeg
3D1E456A-4211-4428-999E-FD32C85B00A4.jpeg
A47F68F8-7B9F-4E7E-9A2A-6CD110887FC7.jpeg
49FE395E-260D-4863-9C8E-50E153469636.jpeg

Found this little number for $30. It’s a 15K “unknown brand” Chinese ceramic.

Dimensions: 7 1/8” x 2 3/8” x 9/16”

I know if I were to look at Amazon or flea-bay I could easily pay around $150 for a ceramic 15k finisher-

this one was kinda rough looking and felt rough to the touch. I figured all it needed was lapping- and she’d be good. Luckily, I was right- cleaned right up. It’s what I’ve been needing and has been missing in my process. If anyone knows these markings, I’d be curious to know what brand this is-

View attachment 1106355View attachment 1106356View attachment 1106357View attachment 1106358
According to my Chinese connection, it's an instruction that roughly says to put it to the side to dry, and not to leave it in water for too long. Sounds like a splash and go stone. Says nothing about grit or brand.

According to my Chinese connection, it's an instruction that roughly says to put it to the side to dry, and not to leave it in water for too long. Sounds like a splash and go stone. Says nothing about grit or brand.

That is AWESOME!!! thank you!!! It was advertised as a 15k finisher- it’s definitely finer than my Shapton 12k when lapped and wet. I definitely see why it says to not leave it wet for too long- it’s not like my other stones- this thing gets sorta crusty after it dries from use- so you pretty much have to lap it AFTER using it so that crust doesn’t form- it’s weird- thank you for that!!!

That is AWESOME!!! thank you!!! It was advertised as a 15k finisher- it’s definitely finer than my Shapton 12k when lapped and wet. I definitely see why it says to not leave it wet for too long- it’s not like my other stones- this thing gets sorta crusty after it dries from use- so you pretty much have to lap it AFTER using it so that crust doesn’t form- it’s weird- thank you for that!!!
Hotdiggidydaym! No worries mate. What a great day for translation.

Have this being held for me at a local antique store until I can find more info on it. It has the wood case but no identifiable markings. Thoughts on what it is?

79EC3109-0329-42D4-8D91-027D0168B53C.jpeg

B01B2F76-C073-40D4-9F7B-ED1F9B0665F0.jpeg

2AA2967F-7B75-4F41-A585-4C815BFB3D28.jpeg

That's a washita. Looks translucent. My experience with ones that look like that is they are hard and only slightly friable. Possibly a LWW where those stripes weren't apparent until it was soaked or #1.

Value on Washita's fluctuates wildly depending on the market at the time. I'd offer $40 and give serious thought if they countered with $50. It's worth their asking price if you're going to use it... but you won't know that until you try it.

Back indicates it was glued in a box... indicates Norton/Pike or one of a handful of other brands with Norton being by FAR the most common. I don't THINK they wood-boxed #2's, so it was likely a #1 at least.

Given that, easily worth the asking... but most people might not read into the evidence on the stone as much as I do... so not necessarily easy to prove its worth if you ever resell.

Reactions: CCR
That's a washita. Looks translucent. My experience with ones that look like that is they are hard and only slightly friable. Possibly a LWW where those stripes weren't apparent until it was soaked or #1.

Value on Washita's fluctuates wildly depending on the market at the time. I'd offer $40 and give serious thought if they countered with $50. It's worth their asking price if you're going to use it... but you won't know that until you try it.

Back indicates it was glued in a box... indicates Norton/Pike or one of a handful of other brands with Norton being by FAR the most common. I don't THINK they wood-boxed #2's, so it was likely a #1 at least.

Given that, easily worth the asking... but most people might not read into the evidence on the stone as much as I do... so not necessarily easy to prove its worth if you ever resell.

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom