What's new

Post-Shave Wash?

I was reading some of the recommendations on the Ask the Barber of thegr.com website. For some, he recommends face washing following the shave. I'm wondering how many shavers actually do this? It seems to me like this would remove any beneficial ingredients the shaving cream might provide. Please share and let me know what you think.

(By the way, I always shower before I shave, so my face is already clean prior to shaving).

I don't think I'd do it. I just do a hot/cold rinse to get the excess cream or soap off, splash on some Thayer's Rose and follow with Nivea A/S balm. Have had great results thus far and hardly ever any ingrowns.

I shower after I shave and absolutely love the feeling of hot water blasting against a fresh BBS face. The aftershave splash goes on after the shower, and aftershave balm a little later if it's needed.

Cheers

Jeremy

I guess I have different expectations from my shave soaps and creams than a lot of people do in that I don't expect them to provide me any long lasting benefits (I look for AS products to give me those). All I want from a soap or cream is a smooth irritation free shave. I wash my face with warm water after the shave to remove whatever lather remains there and then splash several times with cold water to tighten up the pores.

-Ray

I don't wash my face with soap and water after shaving. I only rinse thoroughly with warm water to remove excess lather and soap film. That is folowed by a cold water rinse.

-Clarke

See I don't wash my face after shaving either, but I was just wondering since I saw it recommended to a few people.

I read the same thing, Im thinking of giving it a go though, sounds like Perry knows his stuff. I live in Vegas where he is and hes a solid character ill tell you that. He has his own Barber Suite opening at the venetian palazzo next month, thats gonna be amazing, its gonna give T&H/AOS out here a run for their money.

shower before shaving, after the aftershave is absorbed, i started using Bodyshop tea tree oil face toner, its good, especialy with my oily face,

If you didn't wash before you shaved there's no need to wash after (same goes if you did was before) although if you wash with cold water it might be refreshing. However I believe you're just removing more skin and nutrients--And remember you just dragged a razor sharp piece of steel all over and in several directions. Myskin likes TLC after a shave but yours might be ok with a wash. Give it a try!

-M

If you didn't wash before you shaved there's no need to wash after (same goes if you did was before) although if you wash with cold water it might be refreshing. However I believe you're just removing more skin and nutrients--And remember you just dragged a razor sharp piece of steel all over and in several directions. Myskin likes TLC after a shave but yours might be ok with a wash. Give it a try!

-M

This is what I thought, too. I've never washed post-shave, but was just wondering if washing afterwards was part of others' routine.

I've always showered before shaving, and I've always read and been told that that is the proper way to prep before shaving.

That is one way to prep before shaving....but how wet, really...does your face get? I prefer a hot towel right against the face, after lathering...3 minutes minimum, then I'm almost prepped.

Top Bottom